Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Audible vs Chirp

I just bought my first 2 audio books from Chirp. I’ve been an audible listener since the service came out (anyone remember the book playing device you used to get for free with the service?).

I’ve only listened to the samples...but the Chirp books appear to be of good quality. I’ve enjoyed all my audible books except 1....as far as production values (can’t blame audible if I just didn’t like a book).

My audible books are $15 as I typically stick to the credits from my monthly membership (which I just recently canceled). The chip books were $1 and $5.

The Chirp books are from regular major publishing houses.

Any audible fan tried Chirp? How have you found the quality?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I just bought my first 2 audio books from Chirp. I’ve been an audible listener since the service came out (anyone remember the book playing device you used to get for free with the service?).

I’ve only listened to the samples...but the Chirp books appear to be of good quality. I’ve enjoyed all my audible books except 1....as far as production values (can’t blame audible if I just didn’t like a book).

My audible books are $15 as I typically stick to the credits from my monthly membership (which I just recently canceled). The chip books were $1 and $5.

The Chirp books are from regular major publishing houses.

The prices are...curious...any catch?
Just curious.
Is that their full regular price?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just checked and SOME Chirp books are higher than $5.00
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here you go. I see one title from one of my favorite authors, and with an extreme discount.
It appears to be owned by BookBub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 3.44.48 PM.png
Views:	753
Size:	719.5 KB
ID:	173106  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-24-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here you go. I see one title from one of my favorite authors, and with an extreme discount.
It appears to be owned by BookBub.
Ah.
So it's 10% off list for non-sale regular titles.
Advert
Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
What's the rational to use them rather than audible?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What's the rational to use them rather than audible?
One example is that one of volumes of Jules de Grandin's weird tales book (The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin) is only $1.99

At Audible (Amazon) it's priced at $38.49, OR it is free with an Audible Trial.

I'm sure there are a few other cases.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One example is that one of volumes of Jules de Grandin's weird tales book (The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin) is only $1.99

At Audible (Amazon) it's priced at $38.49, OR it is free with an Audible Trial.

I'm sure there are a few other cases.
What format are the files in? DRM'ed or not?
Audible format is mostly proprietary and DRM'ed.
It might be worth trolling them just for the titles on sale.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

I don't know, as I haven't yet actually bought anything from them. I've only been doing research on the site.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know, as I haven't yet actually bought anything from them. I've only been doing research on the site.
No problem.
I was just being lazy.

Details are readily available:

https://www.wonderoftech.com/chirp-audiobooks/

Chirp is a subsidiary of Bookbub and their bread and butter is promo titles.
Their catalog is apparently limited to what is *temporarily* listed.

They only report file playability via their phone or tablet apps or a PC/MAC browser.

https://www.chirpbooks.com/how_to_listen

Almost certainly not mp3, or DRM-free.
They might be applocked.

Worth it for the deep discount promos, I suppose.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
tch65721 first reported about Chirp last Sep in the Audiobook Deals forum and it fell under the radar until this past May when it was brought up again by Carmelreader. Since then, GtrsRGr8 has posted more details and numerous deals for Chirp.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
They only report file playability via their phone or tablet apps or a PC/MAC browser.

https://www.chirpbooks.com/how_to_listen

Almost certainly not mp3, or DRM-free.
They might be applocked.

Worth it for the deep discount promos, I suppose.

Can I listen to a book without a network connection? How can I download a book to listen offline?
Quote:
You can listen to your audiobook purchases offline using the Chirp app.

To download an audiobook to listen without an internet connection, first select the book under “All Books”, and then tap the download icon. Then, simply wait for the download to finish, and the book should appear under the “Downloaded” tab in the app.

Right now, it isn’t possible to listen offline if you’re streaming audiobooks from our website on a Mac, PC, or other device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have an older Itouch and the app wouldn't load, so I borrowed my brother's newer Itouch. I bought a book for $2. Sounds good (I've only listened to a couple of chapters). However, unless I can archive anything I buy, it certainly won't replace Audible even at those prices. The book I bought isn't one that I would likely listen to twice, so worthy of experimentation. They have a fair number of books from 99c to $1.99, so worth trying out. Currently limited to app only play.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-24-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It’s certainly a deal site with a small handful of books at any given time. It’s not a direct competitor to Audible. However, it appears to me that these are legit high quality books. Books sold at a great deal.

Now...I’d be wary of long term viability. I trust Audible won’t go away, but I’d hate to have a large library of Chirp books only to lose access to them.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon

FYI - I bought Rebel Yell, a book about stonewall Jackson. $4.99

It’s the same book, read by the same narrator as on Audible where it’s $40 or $15 with membership.

Pretty good deal, same book.