Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #46
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My favorite idea is Tasty Morsels. I have been waiting to see what Dazrin decides to do. I don’t have any other creative ideas yet.
I really liked that too. I’ve thought about it many times since Dazrin suggested it the last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
.So that said, if people will come up with a single theme that reflects their current thinking, I'll list them together for reference. Nothing would be set yet and everyone would be free to come up with something entirely different.
I’m still with Guilty Pleasures: Between the Sheets. Or, if the format is ‘tagline: theme’, should it be phrased Between the Sheet: Guilty Pleasures? Does it still make sense worded this way?

Last edited by Victoria; 02-06-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I’m still with Guilty Pleasures: Between the Sheets. Or, if the format is ‘tagline: theme’, should it be phrased Between the Sheet: Guilty Pleasures? Does it still make sense worded this way?
My suggestion was Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers, which would work flipped, if just barely.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #48
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
As another stylistic comment, the Rainbow theme (the first three themes, in fact) came before we adopted the form of tagline: theme and I personally would like to retain it. So in line with Catlady's comment, would it be possible to use the word Rainbow but flesh out the theme so it's in line with our current style?
What about something like: Over the Rainbow: Desires? That could fit almost anything!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #49
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I shall stick with Over the hills and far away: Journeys for my theme this time round.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 PM   #50
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
If you want to use that one, go for it. For me, so far, I have been vacillating between Tasty Morsels, Short and Sweet, or An Author You Can't Refuse, Irresistible Tales, or If Books Could Kill, Thrilling Stories. If you take Tasty Morsels, that's one less choice for me to make.

All three should have good options. If Books Could Kill definitely leans toward a thriller or something but could also be a murder mystery, a true crime book, or several other options. An Author You Can't refuse could be about the mob (fiction or non-fiction) or just something from a favorite author so lots of choices there too.

(Any suggestions for taglines would be welcome too, still not sold on these.)

And CRussel, if you prefer Rainbow, keep it. There were lots of good books suggested for that month and I'm sure we could come up with another list just as good if we do repeat it. I think we're all just brainstorming and bouncing ideas at this point anyway.
Well, if it helps you reduce your choices.... that's the one I like the best.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #51
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My suggestion was Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers, which would work flipped, if just barely.
Yes, sorry, that sounds rather x-rated; not what I was going for. I knew it didn’t sound quite right, but was rushing because I had three loaves of bread to take out of the oven.

I agree it doesn’t work as well in the reverse. So let’s stay with Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
As another stylistic comment, the Rainbow theme (the first three themes, in fact) came before we adopted the form of tagline: theme and I personally would like to retain it. So in line with Catlady's comment, would it be possible to use the word Rainbow but flesh out the theme so it's in line with our current style?
Sure, I'm fine with whatever folks come up with. I'm not having any any brilliant ideas this morning, but I'll bet Dazrin will offer several. And they'll all be better than I'm up to right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Post #2 now has a tentative list of suggested themes. Post any changes here and I’ll update it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sure, I'm fine with whatever folks come up with. I'm not having any any brilliant ideas this morning, but I'll bet Dazrin will offer several. And they'll all be better than I'm up to right now.
I know there have already been some suggestions. How about:

Chasing Rainbows: Colour the World.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #55
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
issybird, for now let's go with "If Books Could Kill, Thrilling Stories", I haven't really decided but as Catlady pointed out the other could have too much overlap with "guilty pleasures" or "as you wish".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Thank you for the vote of confidence but I'm not feeling any of the other ideas I had come up with other than the ones I already mentioned. Here are a couple of the less awful ones though:

Dark and Stormy Nights, Bogeymen - The idea being horror, weather related books, ghost stories and fairytales, bad people in general, etc. Maybe leave it as "Dark and Stormy, Knights"? Doesn't really have a coherent theme but I like the play on words.

Superficial Books, Judged by its cover - We all say we don't do it but we really do sometimes.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #56
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Catlady, you are right, and I shall go with Over the Hills and Far Away: Journeys
I love this; it feels so full of possibilities!
Old 02-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
i

Dark and Stormy Nights, Bogeymen - The idea being horror, weather related books, ghost stories and fairytales, bad people in general, etc. Maybe leave it as "Dark and Stormy, Knights"? Doesn't really have a coherent theme but I like the play on words.

Superficial Books, Judged by its cover - We all say we don't do it but we really do sometimes.
I like Dark and Stormy Nights (or It Was a Dark and Stormy Night); what about something like Villainy or Scary Stories or Chilling Tales as the second part? It would be perfect for October/Halloween.

I do judge books by their covers! But I don't know what I'd do with that theme.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #58
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I know there have already been some suggestions. How about:

Chasing Rainbows: Colour the World.
Sure. I'm fine with it. It meets the new format requirements, and offers both sides of the colour question. Would lend itself to LGBTQ or non-WASP or simply something with a colour in the title. Or would even fit Man of La Mancha.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #59
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I do judge books by their covers! But I don't know what I'd do with that theme.
I'm not sure either. It really lends itself to more of a list style article than to club selections. "Top Ten Books You Haven't Even Picked Up Because Of Their Awful Covers!!!!1!!"
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I love this; it feels so full of possibilities!
Thank you! That's what I was aiming for.