Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #16
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I went from Ipad pro-2017 to the 11" and don't regret it. It has a noticeably better screen quality and is noticeably faster. It is a tad heavier but a very solid build.
Oh... How do you find an aspect ratio? It is different from the previous 4:3. That is my another concern. I like 4:3, but 11" pro has 4.3:3

Last edited by hel; 04-20-2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Oh... How do you find an aspect ratio? It is different from the previous 4:3. That is my another concern. I like 4:3, but 11" pro has 4.3:3
I have not a clue. I only visually noticed better quality. I also bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 5SE and it has a better screen/video quality than my iPad Pro 11" which I was surprised.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Why would you be concerned over a slightly different aspect ratio? The physical size is the same as the previous 10.5" and the screen width is the same. The screen has a smaller border which allows the larger screen. The ppi is the same on all iPads these days so there is no difference is text size. The only difference is you might see some narrow black bars on the cover picture and a few more lines on regular reflow pages. I included it in the 4.3 list in the wiki Screen sizes sizes. The 11" model is more suited to Euro standard paper sizes so PDF may be slightly better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why would you be concerned over a slightly different aspect ratio? The physical size is the same as the previous 10.5" and the screen width is the same. The screen has a smaller border which allows the larger screen. The ppi is the same on all iPads these days so there is no difference is text size. The only difference is you might see some narrow black bars on the cover picture and a few more lines on regular reflow pages. I included it in the 4.3 list in the wiki Screen sizes sizes. The 11" model is more suited to Euro standard paper sizes so PDF may be slightly better.

Dale
PPI on the larger sized iPads is 264, but it is 326 on the mini 2 through mini 5 iPads. Probably not enough difference to matter for most people though.

I agree that 4.3 x 3 is really close to 4 x 3 and shouldn’t be that noticeable. A tablet with 16 x 9 would be noticeably different though as 4 x 3 is the same as 12 x 9, so 16 x 9 would look stretched out. Probably nothing wrong with that, but it would mean fewer lines on the pages if in landscape mode, but that might not bother some people. I used to read in landscape + W column mode on my Nexus 7” tablet and it wasn’t too bad, but I do like the 4 x 3 of my iPad mini 5 much better for landscape + 2 columns.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
PPI on the larger sized iPads is 264, but it is 326 on the mini 2 through mini 5 iPads. Probably not enough difference to matter for most people though.

I agree that 4.3 x 3 is really close to 4 x 3 and shouldn’t be that noticeable. A tablet with 16 x 9 would be noticeably different though as 4 x 3 is the same as 12 x 9, so 16 x 9 would look stretched out. Probably nothing wrong with that, but it would mean fewer lines on the pages if in landscape mode, but that might not bother some people. I used to read in landscape + W column mode on my Nexus 7” tablet and it wasn’t too bad, but I do like the 4 x 3 of my iPad mini 5 much better for landscape + 2 columns.
The mini iPads are higher resolution (ppi) to exactly match the pixels size screens of the 9.7" models. That is now the resolution of the iPhones using the same ppi as the mini. Presumably you hold smaller devices closer to your face. See Retina display in our wiki.

I would think that double page landscape should be better on the 11" in order to squeeze a bit more on the page.

Dale
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The mini iPads are higher resolution (ppi) to exactly match the pixels size screens of the 9.7" models. That is now the resolution of the iPhones using the same ppi as the mini. Presumably you hold smaller devices closer to your face. See Retina display in our wiki.

I would think that double page landscape should be better on the 11" in order to squeeze a bit more on the page.
To be accurate, iPad minis have same resolution (2048x1536) as the 9.7" iPads. What they have is higher pixel density same as iPhones (326 ppi) compared to bigger iPads (264 ppi).

As for 2-page landscape, personal preference. I actually have my margins set pretty high at my preferred font size on 10.5" because otherwise, there are too many words per line which messes with my concentration. Since the 11" display is same height in landscape, just a bit wider, I expect I'll just use even bigger margins on that.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-22-2020 at 05:43 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #22
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is what a 2 column landscape looks like on my mini 5 in the Kindle app with my preferred settings. I haven’t compared it on the Pro 9.7. I’ll try to remember to do that tomorrow. To my eyes, this is very close to reading size of a paperback printed book.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98D5F466-3ABE-49E3-B8DE-53F9A5551857.png
Views:	232
Size:	646.7 KB
ID:	178623  
Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #23
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is portrait mode in Kindle app on my iPhone XR. It is readable but awfully narrow. Landscape on the iPhone XR won’t allow 2 columns, so landscape makes the lines way too long. I only read on the iPhone XR if I’m at an appointment waiting to get in, otherwise I either use the mini or my Kindle Oasis 3. I prefer the mini inside, but the Oasis 3 when sitting out doors in sunshine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9583963F-6456-4BB5-8749-7E2280C1E6B7.png
Views:	227
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	178624  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #24
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

I’ve ordered a bigger one. Finally. Just another couple of weeks of waiting (delivery from Apple). Waiting time is so long now...

Last edited by hel; 04-30-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #25
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
I got a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" 1TB last week, and I'm still waiting for the new keyboard to show up, but I am absolutely delighted. Over the last couple of years I've gotten my photography workflow to the point where it can be done in Lightroom CC, so I only need to travel with one laptop for work and my creative work can be done entirely on a window to the world. I love it!

I'll probably love the keyboard and I'm eager to see the new touchpad support in action. I couldn't decide between the 11" and the 12.9" for a couple of weeks and I think I would have felt cramped handwriting on the 11" with a Pencil, and I think I was right. I've joined Teams meetings on the iPad and reviewed architecture diagrams and notes from workshops I run and it's just generally been a great tool that I'd buy again.

My only complaint is that they don't sell it with 2TB of storage, but I ordered a USB type-c dock that clamps on and lets me use flash drives or my Yubikey which is pretty great ����

I have Marvin and a few other applications for reading but I keep coming back to Apple's Books. I like that the annotations and notes propogate to my other devices and I keep my complete library in a Calibre store, but that's mainly for safe keeping.

Sometimes books in Books/iBooks don't have cover art and it drives me a little bonkers and I wish I could easily fix it. But that's a fairly small inconvenience considering I have like what, 400 books and 400 PDFs on the damned thing and with that much room I can have a book up and my research data (DEVONthink) side by side at the same time without feeling crowded.

Edit: I also ordered a few matte screen covers in an attempt to get a little bit of resistance and friction when I'm writing/drawing or doing edits in Lightroom. I just grabbed three or four of them to test and I'll see what I like best ����*♂️

Last edited by incumbent; 05-08-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: screen protector matte thing
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
hel
Sorceress

So far so good. I like my new 3 days old 12.9 iPad. It is much easier to read technical PDF having notability on side for short notes. I like how it feels typing on onscreen keyboard, really I don’t need external keyboard. I use a Pencil a lot though. I found new keyboard’s price ridiculous and didn’t buy. BT mouse and keyboard - that works as a charm. Matte screen protector is good for writing but it adds some blurring on screen. I am not sure if I’ll keep it.

What I can say? Size is perfect for my use case. No regrets for now. I will still keep my old pro 9.7 for commute etc.

Last edited by hel; 05-24-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Tags
experience, ipad, which one