Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #106
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Eerijai AERIajdfioe sorijwrkjae werWERIJ...

See what you get when you hurry people. 50 typo's in a row

It was worth a good laugh...
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #107
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Yeah, I saw what you typed there, despite the ninja-edit. My ninja-threadwatching-skillz are greater.

Love you too
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #108
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Quote:
Yeah, I saw what you typed there, despite the ninja-edit. My ninja-threadwatching-skillz are greater.

Love you too
Damn you quick...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #109
MiniMouse
Groupie

Until Katsunami's tutorial is finished, something for the time waiting

What I did? I played with the kaleidoscope effect in PIXLR and was impressed what came out of it. (By the way Sefiriot, that is all your fault, you mentioned the pattern you liked and I looked into the effects in PIXLR )

Now, what I did:

- first I made me a little ornament in black and white (Stage1)
- put the kaleidoscope effect over it (Stage2)
- and put it over it again, playing with the horizontal and vertical options too (Stage3)
- then I loaded one of my asphalt & paper compination fotos as layer in (Stage4)
- played with the filters (can't tell you though which I used)
- put a black layer partly over it and used a layer mode that reversed the color effects
- then melted everything to one layer together
- loaded my blue leather cover as layer, put it under the kaleidoscope layer and put this layer in mode 'Overlay'

Finished (Kaleidoscope Cover 1)!

When you put the kaleidoscope effect on the finished cover again, you get a new result (Kaleidoscope Cover 2) and when you play with the color setting you can get something new too (Kaleidoscope Cover 3).

Your opinion?

MiniMouse

Note: Picture 1 to 4 are no covers! They are only up to show you from where I started and the different stages of my work! That's why only for picture 5 to 7 are zip-files up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage 1.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	111920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage 2.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	111921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage 3.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	111922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stage 4.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	111923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 1.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	111924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 2.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	111925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 3.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	111926  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 1.zip (9.18 MB, 676 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 2.zip (11.07 MB, 711 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 3.zip (9.45 MB, 609 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #110
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I like the Half (blue/gold) color one best.
So there is probably the only vote that that one will get now that i jinxed it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #111
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I like the Half (blue/gold) color one best.
So there is probably the only vote that that one will get now that i jinxed it
I hope not (the thing with the jinx). But thanks, hope someone has a usage for it.

My personal favorite is kaleidoscope cover 3, I like the oriantal touch.

MiniMouse

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-18-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #112
MiniMouse
Groupie

Okay... had to do some more.

First the really strange once, don't even know if someone can use THAT... but I put them up anyway... because I made them... and put my time in it... and... well see for yourself...

...if you like a zombie/sci-fi/Invasion of the Body Snatchers cover...

That's for you...

The first has something more in it, made by the kaleidoscope effect. For the second one I retouched that out (leaving more space for your text).

MiniMouse

P.S.: Can you believe that came out of the ornament (picture 3) I made???
By the way, I put a blossom of a rose I photographed in the center. Not that it really matters by the outcome of these covers but it is my own creation.

Note: picture 3 is only to show you the ornament from where I started, it is no cover!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 4.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	111504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 4a.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	111505   Click image for larger version

Name:	ornament example.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	111927  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 4.zip (5.96 MB, 565 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 4a.zip (5.91 MB, 654 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #113
MiniMouse
Groupie

Okay... I tried to keep you entertained while Katsunami is working on the tutorial BUT I'm out, done... only for today though

These covers I made with the same rose ornament as my 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' cover.

I put the kaleidoscope effect over and over again and got interesting different results each time, though the effect seems blurry in the small pictures but they are sharpe in the big once (just in case you wonder). AND there is allways a kaleidoscope effect of the ornament on the cover, even when the last cover almost looks black (just in case you wonder that too).

And NOW I will wait for feedback

MiniMouse
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	111509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5a.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	111510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5b.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	111511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5c.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	111512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5d.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	111513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaleidoscope Cover 5e.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	111514  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5.zip (1.28 MB, 599 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5a.zip (1.59 MB, 560 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5b.zip (1.94 MB, 703 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5c.zip (3.52 MB, 573 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5d.zip (3.85 MB, 560 views)
File Type: zip Kaleidoscope Cover 5e.zip (4.42 MB, 590 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-19-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #114
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should someone wish, then they can start the tutorial up to Checkpoint_2. That part will (probably ) not change anymore except for fixing typo's or maybe some clarification.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #115
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Should someone wish, then they can start the tutorial up to Checkpoint_2. That part will (probably ) not change anymore except for fixing typo's or maybe some clarification.

Wow...wow...this tutorial is detailed!

I'm even a little scared to try this... but nothing can stop me!

Definitely have to learn GIMP, even when it is just to give you some competition

But be aware, as soon as I try this, you will have to answer a lot of questions.

MiniMouse
Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #116
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post

I'm even a little scared to try this... but nothing can stop me!
Go ahead

A little piece of advice: don't just follow steps. I don't explain a lot, as many things are readily apparant, but still, try to *understand* what each step does, how, and why. This is especially important with regard to layer masks and anchoring. This is the reason why I did explain that a bit further.

Layers and layer masks are really the start and end of it all. (Like: I put the the spine and trim on their own layers, so you can change them without touching the base of the cover. The ornaments will have their own layers, and so on.)

Remember: SAVE A LOT. GIMP is a nice program, but as with all programs, stuff can go wrong. A plugin may crash and tear GIMP down with it. Or GIMP itself may crash. Saving creates an XCF file, which retains all information, just like Photoshop does with PSD. If you need a JPEG or PNG, use the "Export" function in the "File" menu.

Quote:
Definitely have to learn GIMP, even when it is just to give you some competition
The only way to learn a program as big as GIMP is to just use it, and look up tutorials when you need to do something you yet can't. You could read a 5000 page book describing every tool in GIMP down to the last option, and you still won't be able to create something decent.

The tutorial is not only about how to create a cover, but also a run-through of many basic concepts and tools GIMP has to offer. The second part will introduce new tools than have not yet been used. For example, I could just give you an ornament, but I'm going to have you make your own (based on a free ornament), just so some tools can be used

When you can make the finished cover on your own, without following the tutorial and putting in your own stuff, then you understand the basics of GIMP; or *any other* raster graphics editor (Photoshop Paint Shop Pro), for that matter.

Quote:
But be aware, as soon as I try this, you will have to answer a lot of questions.
Go right ahead. I'm aware. YOU be aware that I worked in computer support in the past, and I'm now inclined to answer some questions with actions displayed by the above icon

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #117
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

At the end of the Layer Mask part, I've added some additional information. This does not change the image, but it's good to look into.

Quote:
Some more information about the layer mask is below, which can come in very handy if you want to make specific adjustments to the mask. It's not needed right now, but we (or you) may want or need this later. If you want, you can experiment a bit. SAVE the image, experiment, and then load your previous file again if you wish to do this.

- You can paint on the layer, by selecting the Layer rectangle.
- You can paint on the mask, by selecting the Mask rectangle.
- The Layer rectangle is the left one, the Mask rectangle is the right one.
- The one you select will be outlined in white.
- You can paint ONLY black/white/grey on the mask. if you paint with another color, GIMP will convert this color into its equivalent greyscale value.
- If you wish to see the mask instead of the layer itself while you are painting or adjusting the mask, then press and hold ALT and left-click on the mask. The mask will appear in your image, and will be outlined in green in the layer palette. NOTE: It is possible to make the mask appear, and still have the normal layer active. Left-click the mask to make sure it is active for painting.
- If you want to turn the display of the mask off, ALT-left-click on it again. The same applies: you can turn the display off, while keeping the mask active. To make sure your layer is active, click on the Layer rectangle.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #118
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You might want to link to that tutorial in the first post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #119
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You might want to link to that tutorial in the first post.
Just working on linking to all the important stuff in this thread right now

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-19-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #120
MiniMouse
Groupie

Quote:
Just working on linking to all the important stuff in this thread right now

Okay everyone,

from now on you can find links to covers, zip-files for the 'Generate Cover Plugin', drawings, ornaments and examples for styles

AND tutorials in this thread in the first post of this thread.

MiniMouse

Last edited by MiniMouse; 09-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.