Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2023, 04:53 AM   #1
Ikxi
Ikxi began at the beginning.

Device: none
~8" reader that might also do tachiyomi

Hey!
Been looking for an ebook reader recently because i got into warhammer and my phone's not ideal (samsung a54 6.4inch screen) as my eye sight isn't great.
I also read a lot of manga/manwha/manhua via the tachiyomi app and would likely want to use the reader for that too.
I wouldn't want to have to transfer the images all the all the time, because sometimes I just wanna browse and see what's available.

I've seen that a lot of readers either run like android 4 which is too low or are locked down like kindle and JBs aren't readily available.

What would be a good device to buy at 100, 200 and max 300€?
I wouldn't mind buying used (been looking on German "Kleinanzeigen" for a couple days already).

Thanks in advance!
Ikxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:45 AM   #2
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Onyx Boox. They unfortunately don't have any good 7.8" models for reading currently - the Nova Air 2 has low contrast. The Tab Mini C is very expensive and has colour, which darkens the screen and adds an extra layer to it reducing the sharpness.

The alternative would be the Meebook p78 pro. I don't have any experience with that brand, but it seems like their devices are like Onyx's only slower and not as polished, maybe. This reader has an SD card slot, which could be good if you decide to download some of the manga.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2023, 03:51 AM   #3
Ikxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Onyx Boox. They unfortunately don't have any good 7.8" models for reading currently - the Nova Air 2 has low contrast. The Tab Mini C is very expensive and has colour, which darkens the screen and adds an extra layer to it reducing the sharpness.

The alternative would be the Meebook p78 pro. I don't have any experience with that brand, but it seems like their devices are like Onyx's only slower and not as polished, maybe. This reader has an SD card slot, which could be good if you decide to download some of the manga.
Thank you very much for your answer!

The Meebook seems like a solid device.
I think I'll get that for now on Amazon and test it for a bit. If it's not to my liking I'll just return it.

In my search for readers I did find Onyx Boox a lot. You said their 7.8 inch readers weren't that great.
If I increased my budget to 400-500, what kind of tablet would you recommend by them? (not just 8 inch)
Old 11-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikxi View Post

I think I'll get that for now on Amazon and test it for a bit. If it's not to my liking I'll just return it.

In my search for readers I did find Onyx Boox a lot. You said their 7.8 inch readers weren't that great.
If I increased my budget to 400-500, what kind of tablet would you recommend by them? (not just 8 inch)
I'd recommend the latest Onyx Note Air 2+ (not the 3 C version, because of it's lowered brightness due to color filters). You could also go for a Galaxy Tab A8, if you just want to consume media.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #5
Ikxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I'd recommend the latest Onyx Note Air 2+ (not the 3 C version, because of it's lowered brightness due to color filters). You could also go for a Galaxy Tab A8, if you just want to consume media.
Got it! I'll take a look at that as well, if I'm unsatisfied with the Meebook.

I'd not go for a normal tablet, I also read a ton of webnovels and for video media I just use my PC.
Also it seems e ink tablets have far superior battery life, which I love (I tend to forget to charge my devices).

Thank you for the suggestion!
Advert
Old 11-07-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
I'd not go for a normal tablet, I also read a ton of webnovels and for video media I just use my PC.
Also it seems e ink tablets have far superior battery life, which I love (I tend to forget to charge my devices).
The Nova Air 2+ does have amazing battery life. If you take a lot of notes, the Wacom layer does drain the battery a bit faster but even though I'm journaling on the device a lot, I only have to charge it like every other week or so. You'll have to sideload tachiyomi (obviously) but in "normal refresh mode" you can read manga just fine on the device without ghosting.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:43 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

There's none that I would recommend currently. Their lineup of black and white 10" tablets are still 227 PPI, lower than the 300 PPI of the Meebook.

The contrast/sharpness is also lower on the Note Air 2+ since it has an additional layer on top of the glass screen. This layer is there for improved writing feel, to make it feel more like paper, but decreases the clarity somewhat. Great for writing, but not as good for only reading.

I think neither product uses the latest Carta technology (Carta 1200/1250/1300), which has higher contrast.

Onyx Boox has confirmed that they are planning to release a black and white version of their latest Note Air 3C tablet. Nothing more is known.

Personally, I'll wait for them to release a Tab Ultra Pro with Carta 1300 in black and white. Until that happens, I won't be buying.

My recommendation for you is to get the Meebook and see if it fits your use case. By the time you've tested it out Onyx might have released a new model (they release new models very often) and you'll know if you need it or not.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
My recommendation for you is to get the Meebook and see if it fits your use case.
The Meebook P78 Pro also has a writing foil that degrades the screen quality.
My main reading device was the Boox Tab Mini C - in my opinion it has the best screen in the 7.8/8 inch range, including the Tolino Epos 3.

But BSR needs a lot of power.
Quote:
Personally, I'll wait for them to release a Tab Ultra Pro with Carta 1300 in black and white. Until that happens, I won't be buying.
I don't think anything like that will happen.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-07-2023 at 03:08 PM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
Ikxi

Thank you very much for your knowledge, everybody.
For now I will be going with the Meebook (I can send it back until January 2024 according to amazon o.O)
That will be plenty time to test everything.

Again, thank you and have a pleasant time : )
Old 11-13-2023, 08:12 AM   #10
Ikxi

If anyone reads this. DO NOT buy the Meebook.
Got it on Thursday last week.
Today is Monday and it just died on me.

Also, overall, the Meebook is not great at all imo.
Very unintuitive with some of its settings.
Originally a Chinese device, so in German it was horrible to use and in English some things still didn't make sense.
The onboard bookstore doesn't work at all.
Transferring files via USB (with usb debugging on in dev settings) works like half the time. (i just ended up using nearby share and my phone).

Overall it was a meh to fine experience with my first ebook.
I'm just gonna buy an onyx boox next month. Those should be more reliable, right? RIGHT?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could get a Samsung Galaxy tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #12
Ikxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could get a Samsung Galaxy tablet.
Hey, as I had mentioned before I would prefer not to get a standard tablet.
I was quite convinced from the Meebook's e ink screen.

After looking a bit, maybe I'd go with an A8, though I think I've kinda set my eyes on a higher price range than I initially thought.
Well, A8 isn't that expensive, so I can just try it after the return for the Meebook goes through on amazon.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Meebook is the Zombie re-incarnation of Boyue/Likebook. Fortunately my Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″ still goes, but other than Irish local Library it's pointless compare to the Kobo Sage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:31 PM   #14
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
If anyone reads this. DO NOT buy the Meebook.
Got it on Thursday last week.
Today is Monday and it just died on me.

Also, overall, the Meebook is not great at all imo.
Very unintuitive with some of its settings.
Originally a Chinese device, so in German it was horrible to use and in English some things still didn't make sense.
The onboard bookstore doesn't work at all.
Transferring files via USB (with usb debugging on in dev settings) works like half the time. (i just ended up using nearby share and my phone).

Overall it was a meh to fine experience with my first ebook.
I'm just gonna buy an onyx boox next month. Those should be more reliable, right? RIGHT?
Personally I think that using Android e-readers with their original software makes little sense and you will be disappointed with any brand you try. The interesting thing about Android is to find and install the apps that allow you to get what you want. For example, if you want to use Tachiyomi you will have to install their Android app. And this is the case with all kinds of applications: reading programmes, dictionaries, translators, book organisers, file organisers, synchronisation tools... If you are not convinced by the end result offered by the variety of apps available (not just the original software), then you will have to look for an alternative to an Android e-reader.

(I'm sure @Quoth will tell you how to install Tachiyomi on the Kobo Sage ).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
(I'm sure @Quoth will tell you how to install Tachiyomi on the Kobo Sage ).
You probably need Android for that. I did mention I do have an Android eink and it has various ereader apps. Borrowbox, Libby, GooglePlayBooks, KOReader etc. Even Musicolet for audio, but the phone makes more sense for music and audiobooks.

However if you mostly read novels then a Kobo eink for novels and regular Android tablet for Tachiyomi or anything else Sage or other Kobo doesn't do.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-14-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote