Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #2461
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
Thank you for reminding me about this series! I had forgotten I owned the ebooks. I'm going to get the audiobooks now.
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #2462
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

So my question is, "Is there ever a time when you can't find one of these KU deals? And, does Amazon ever limit you in how many you can take advantage of?" I've had two deals, not quite back to back, but only separated by a month. I guess I should start looking for the next deal.

KU for 99 cents for 3 months is worthwhile. I don't think it would be worthwhile at full price however. Not for me with my slower reading speed.
This was only the 2nd time I had seen the 3 months for 99 cents. I have quite a few of the 87th Precinct audiobooks, but this let me fill in the ones I don't have. I did have the full price version for a couple of months when first introduced, but much of what I read is not part of the deal. So, I make note of books I'm interested in and get KU on a deal periodically. Is it a deal? It sure is if you read audiobooks. Most of the books that have audiobooks also give you the option to buy the audiobook at a substantially reduced price. You can listen first and then decide. Win-Win.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #2463
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up the Sten book - Revenge of the Damned. It took elements from pretty much every WW II prisoner of war escape (The Great Escape, Colditz, Raid on Cabanatuan) plus elements of the War in the Pacific during WW II.

There are actually 8 books in the series. I liked the first 5 books, but after that, the series slowly started to slide downhill. I'll probably pick up the remaining 3 if I can get them for a good price just to have the complete set.

Next up, I'm trying to decide between Sutherland's "Into the Dark", the first of the Alexis Carew series (think sailing ships in space) and Foward's "Villains by Necessity". We will see which one I'm in the mood for the next time I get in the car.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #2464
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
After listening to the mediocre at best Dragon's Code by Gigi McCaffrey, and the NLBC selection this month from John le Carre discussed in the thread, I needed a sure winner, so went with Georgette Heyer's The Foundling. Very well read by Phyllida Nash, and pure fun.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-19-2019 at 05:30 PM.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #2465
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I enjoyed that (well, all of Heyer's) in paperback, eons ago!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #2466
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I enjoyed that (well, all of Heyer's) in paperback, eons ago!
Oh, yes, this is a re-read certainly. I don't think there are any of her Regencies I haven't read. But it's been long enough I can definitely enjoy them again, now as audio books.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #2467
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just finished Summer Lightning, one of Wodehouse's Blandings novels, read by John Wells. Not one of the better Wodehouse novels as nothing much happened; I also wasn't crazy about Wells. I ended up listening to him at 1.25X speed, which did wonders for the dialogue.

I've started Steinbeck's Travels with Charley, his travel book about seeing America with his poodle. It's read by Gary Sinise and so far it's delightful. ,
I really enjoyed Travels with Charley. I've learned that it's somewhat fictionalized so if that would be a dealbreaker it would be a no-go, but I thought it a wonderful snapshot of what we were like in 1960 and remarkably prescient. Gary Sinise was terrific.

I'm listening to yet another Wodehouse, Big Money, read by Jonathan Cecil. I'm going to the Wodehouse well way too often, but when I'm looking for something light for listening to in bed, it's just so darned easy. However, in my chronological Wodehouse quest it seems as if I'll have to read the next few, so that will force me to get outside this habit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #2468
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I really enjoyed Travels with Charley. I've learned that it's somewhat fictionalized so if that would be a dealbreaker it would be a no-go, but I thought it a wonderful snapshot of what we were like in 1960 and remarkably prescient. Gary Sinise was terrific.
Good to hear that Sinise was terrific. TwC is on my short list, and will likely get listened to as soon as I finish The Foundling. (I wonder how it would do as a swimming book? I'm currently reading an Alexander Kent there.)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #2469
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

Next up, I'm trying to decide between Sutherland's "Into the Dark", the first of the Alexis Carew series (think sailing ships in space) and Foward's "Villains by Necessity". We will see which one I'm in the mood for the next time I get in the car.
Went with Into the Dark since I had just finished re-reading the other as an e-book. So far, I like the reader.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #2470
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Almost done with listening to The Thief Of Time by Terry Pratchett. Some of the plot confuses me, but sometimes you just have to listen to Pratchett's stories a second time. Anyway, I love the Igor stuff in this.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #2471
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Good to hear that Sinise was terrific. TwC is on my short list, and will likely get listened to as soon as I finish The Foundling. (I wonder how it would do as a swimming book? I'm currently reading an Alexander Kent there.)
Amazing how those navy books work while you're swimming, eh? I suspect this will be my last summer with Jack and Stephen. I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for in a swim listen; it's not hard but it is serious much of the time. His interactions with Charley, however, are delightful.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #2472
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quite enjoying The Diary of a Bookseller. I get the impression his place may be a bit... quirkier than others, but that largely adds to the charm.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #2473
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I wasn't reading or listening to anything for a while after finishing up The Shiva Trilogy in print (er, pixels) and the Welcome to Nightvale podcast, which barely counts anyway, and I found myself in a bit of withdrawal. The Shiva Trilogy makes for great fantasy reading, btw, even though the author sees it as an inspired religious text. It's written as a straightforward adventure series - kind of a much less cringey Hindu version of Left Behind (several of which I did read as a teen).

A show I won't name because doing so in this context would be a spoiler put me strongly in mind of Neal Stephenson's Seveneves, and I've picked that up for a re-read / listen (whispersync). I'm thinking I might plow straight into Anathem, my favorite Stephenson novel which I'm pretty sure I've only read once, when I'm done.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #2474
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finished In to the Dark. Very well read.

On to Villains by Choice. The first hour has been pretty good.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #2475
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Quite enjoying The Diary of a Bookseller. I get the impression his place may be a bit... quirkier than others, but that largely adds to the charm.
I'm glad to see you posting again, SeaBookGuy. I have enjoyed your recommendations in the past. I just put this one on-hold at my library and am looking forward to listening to it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations