Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Alternative to CC

While not having all the functions of Calibre Companion, Calibre Sync is worth investigating.

There is some discussion to be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
maybe calibre-sync should be awarded this subforum, as CC's owner does nothing to deserve the ongoing free publicity and continues to bilk the gullibe by selling them apple subscriptions for non existent support?

arguably mobileread passively aids and abets that scam by featuring & thus implying that CC is preferred / recommended for calibre users ? there is still, as far as I can tell, no OFFICAL "don't buy a CC subscription - it's a scam "warning, anywhere on this site
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:35 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've reported the app to Apple. No idea if that will do any good.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While not having all the functions of Calibre Companion, Calibre Sync is worth investigating.

There is some discussion to be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380

Thanks so much for mentioning this app. I got it and it looks to be just what I was looking for.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think the best solution to sync to Calibre is a USB cable. The device can charge at the same time.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think the best solution to sync to Calibre is a USB cable. The device can charge at the same time.
Which is wonderful if you're close to the computer. There are times when I'm at work, waiting for clients, and I want to check a book that I don't have with me.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:50 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Will Calibre sync to IOS Marvin via the usb cable?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
If you just want network access there's also just using the built-in Calibre Content server and Calibre-Web to add more features on top of that. If you don't care Calibre support specifically there's a few more options to hosting your own network "bookshelf" like Kavita reader and Pyshelf.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
If you just want network access there's also just using the built-in Calibre Content server and Calibre-Web to add more features on top of that. If you don't care Calibre support specifically there's a few more options to hosting your own network "bookshelf" like Kavita reader and Pyshelf.
Thanks, I do use Calibre Content server with Marvin - works "most" of the time - sometimes I have to start and restart both several times to get them to sync. That's why I was looking for something easier/quicker. I can't get Goodreader to find Calibre at all, so have to use Calibre Companion to get books to it. (I'm not using the CC monthly paid version - I just grit my teeth over the ads and slowness until I can move the pdf's into Goodreader.)
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

another - rather clunky - way is to install a folder sync app, which can download and sync/mirror any dropbox subfolder (+ its subfolders) to your device.
the android (free) dropbox) app frustratingly only allows one file at a time download to device , but a sync app can be applied to an author subfolder in the dropbox copy of your calibre library, or to the whole library if you have device space.
i use the paid for folder sync app but the free version is pretty good also, just lacks a filter option.
for parts of my library which are quite static i.e. pdf collections , i like doing a one off one way mirror from my dropbox calibr library copy to an sd card in a tablet. i've done Then free apps like adobe acrobat are quite good at auto finding , listing, searching through pdfs on device
i think folder sync works with all the leading cloud solutions
Old 03-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #11
ienosos
ienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enough

Device: Android phone, Android tablet
The reason I continue to use CC and why I'm looking for a replacement for when my older paid version stops working or I can't use it on a new device is because I want my 4800+ ebook library with me all the time even when I'm away from my computer/home and I want to be able to search/sort/browse my books easily on my phone and tablet instead of just at my computer.

I already copy my library after every addition of books to OneDrive as a backup (I just double-click a bat file I made to do it for me).

I think I might be able to make that backup work with Calibre Sync if I'm reading the features correctly.

Having to use a USB to manually copy the library to my phone and tablet for Calibre Sync every time I add books would be a second option but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Does anyone here who already uses Calibre Sync use OneDrive or a backed up library instead of their original library? Would either of those options work with it?

Or is there a better way to get what I want with Calibre Sync that I don't know about?
ienosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ienosos View Post
Does anyone here who already uses Calibre Sync use OneDrive or a backed up library instead of their original library?
This is my setup. I keep a copy of my library in OneDrive and I run a sync every weekend. I linked up this backup library with Calibre Sync and they play very nicely with each other. I only got the app on Friday but I like it a lot so far. I could never get the Calibre content server to work outside my home network, so this is the best alternative for me to have my books available to me at all times.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #13
ienosos
ienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enoughienosos will become famous soon enough

Device: Android phone, Android tablet
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know.
ienosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:01 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
This is my setup. I keep a copy of my library in OneDrive and I run a sync every weekend. I linked up this backup library with Calibre Sync and they play very nicely with each other. ...
same here, except that I use dropbox not one drive.

i use one way mirror in freefielsync to copy original calibre library from PC to cloud, then I use Calibre sync or folder sync for one way mirror from that to reading devices
the C- s guys dont explicity tell you to work from a cloud COPY but that's been the advice on MR, like forever - dont rely on cloud for your original master library copy location.

it may seem round about - but its very quick to refresh the mirrors after each library change ( assuming you are not routinely adding hundreds of books)

my workflow for scans of my music book parts is slightly different, I scan as pdf then use "save as" to put the pdf straight into temp storage in dropbox. from there I will add it to my calibre master library ( on a different PC ) after checking the scan quality , renaming, etc and generate a suitable cover.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:55 AM   #15
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Thanks for the suggestion.

It's pretty good so far. I keep all my libraries up on OneDrive anyway so it's nice to have the library on the device to look at covers, use tags and series etc to find what you want but not the books (my non-fiction library is huge won't fit on an Onyx) and sync down when I picked what I need. This is how I do it on Windows with Calibre itself too. Just the metadata/library/covers to browse then download the book as needed to save space.

I would like to have everything on an external SD card though because there are scenarios where I can't mobile hotspot from my phone. That doesn't work sadly, like Calibre Companion it can download and index the files fine to OTG SD card but not open them. Nothing much does on the Leaf that's a problem I'm looking at after I unbrick my Leaf (trying to solve this issue in the first place LOL) and try to work out how to make OTG a useful feature if it's even possible at all with Android 10.

Thanks @Loosheesh I might look into that as a setup I guess that's to help prevent corruption of the .db due to sync conflicts?

Last edited by bazookajoe; 03-22-2022 at 04:57 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote