Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
misslucha
misslucha began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
3 months later and my Kobo is broken.

Wow. So unimpressed. Up until yesterday I was the biggest advocate of the Kobo.. I litterally used it every single day.

Last night I had it plugged in and I was putting some more books on, and once I unplugged it, it was loading the new content, and instead of showing the 300 or so books I had on there, it showed 6. In the all books section, not books I am reading. I thought this was highly strange... I plugged it back in with the USB and checked the drive on my system... all my books were still loaded onto the Kobo. Unplugged it again. It spent 30 minutes this time loading "new content". And once again only 6 books on there.

So tonight I reinstalled the version 1.4 firmware since I thought maybe something had corrupted... this is after doing two complete resets. I thought this might have fixed it? 3 hours of mucking around later.. and STILL it's only showing 6 books. And these are 6 of the pre loaded books too (I deleted the others ages ago).

I am fed up. I do not expect this of something I have bought at the end of June. I am going to try and get a new one from Kobo.. but I am sort of thinking I don't even want a new Kobo now.. I'd prefer something more reliable.

misslucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Could you tell what kind of books you stored on the device?
There is a chance that meta data are using non-ascii charac-
ters. Or something else, not related to firmware.
If I would be you, I'd remove all books first and see if reader
works. Next, I'd add few new books and one old, previously
known to work fine. Comparison helps a lot. Check all possible
options and report back.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Agreed. Best to start with a clean slate before taking the device back.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can get poorly prepared books. It happens. I've heard that is somewhat more likely with non-standard sources of free books. Not saying that you were loading in a pile of darknet "finds" of course, but that happens, too.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
When I had problems, re-installing the 1.4 firmware did not fix a corrupted sqlite database (which could be your problem). Try to restore the sqlite databse as well (see sticky on how to do it) before you assume it is broke.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
cjmat
cjmat began at the beginning.

I had the exact same problem last night when I was trying to load books on. It was also only showing 6 books when I knew there were more than that.

I finally scrapped the Kobo desktop software and did everything through ADE and Calibre. No problems since then.
cjmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
I had to take my Kobo back to Indigo in Toronto. It just froze up. I had never dropped it or even scratched it over four months. They saw that it could not be reset and replaced it free.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I am fed up. I do not expect this of something I have bought at the end of June ...

Maybe it is my advanced age, but I would most certainly not be this irritated at this point in time.

Now, then, if I had a valid warranty on such a device, and followed all the publicly-published procedures for submitting it for a warranty replacement, and THEN the company unreasonably balked or refused me, THAT is when I would come to a messagegroup like this and share my woes.

Hey - I "want it NOW!" as much as about anyone. But the Kobo is NOT suffering from an industry-unusual failure rate. MANY of the "failures" are from us using non-Kobo-software to place files on our Kobos ...

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by clintbradford; 09-17-2010 at 02:42 AM.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
misslucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I am fed up. I do not expect this of something I have bought at the end of June ...

Maybe it is my advanced age, but I would most certainly not be this irritated at this point in time.

Now, then, if I had a valid warranty on such a device, and followed all the publicly-published procedures for submitting it for a warranty replacement, and THEN the company unreasonably balked or refused me, THAT is when I would come to a messagegroup like this and share my woes.

Hey - I "want it NOW!" as much as about anyone. But the Kobo is NOT suffering from an industry-unusual failure rate. MANY of the "failures" are from us using non-Kobo-software to place files on our Kobos ...

Just my opinion, of course.
That may be the case in your part of the globe, but since the launch in Australia the Kobo's have had a few faults. On the site where I bought my Kobo they're asking anyone who had bought a white Kobo between June and July (me) to get a new USB cable as the ones they supplied were faulty. So whilst I see where you're coming from, I wouldn't assume that it's because of the software I'm using.

In the end, I took it back to the book store I bought it from, who replaced it on the spot as they have had a few troubles (as above) and I have a brand new unit that's not causing me any troubles at all.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslucha View Post
On the site where I bought my Kobo they're asking anyone who had bought a white Kobo between June and July (me) to get a new USB cable as the ones they supplied were faulty.
Which site was this? Borders or A&R? My Kobo hasn't had any problems so far, but seeing as I bought mine in that time period and it's white, I'm just wondering if I have any reason to be concerned.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
trogdor
trogdor began at the beginning.

Honestly, why do you even need 300 books on your Kobo?
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I took it back to the book store I bought it from ...

Yes - that is the first thing anyone should have done in this case ...

>> ... who replaced it on the spot ...

So, then, WHAT are you irritated about, again? Your fix was immediate and you are satisfied - so should this thread even have been started???

(grin)
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
misslucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I took it back to the book store I bought it from ...

Yes - that is the first thing anyone should have done in this case ...

>> ... who replaced it on the spot ...

So, then, WHAT are you irritated about, again? Your fix was immediate and you are satisfied - so should this thread even have been started???

(grin)
Honestly, what's irritating me at the moment is you! Is this the way you welcome every member, cause it's kinda rude!

I originally posted my siutation in the hopes that perhaps someone else with the same problem may know of a way to fix it.

I thought at the same time I would try my luck at having it returned. AFTER I posted this. I posted this and the next day had some luck at my Angus & Robinson store.

You know, you shouldn't be a jerk to others, because that is going to be what turns people off joining communities like this one.

Perhaps Mobile Read ought to have a sign around saying "Do Not Feed The Trolls" since that's obviously what you do around here. Be gone.

Last edited by misslucha; 09-18-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
misslucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Which site was this? Borders or A&R? My Kobo hasn't had any problems so far, but seeing as I bought mine in that time period and it's white, I'm just wondering if I have any reason to be concerned.
A&R have it on their site. Hope you have good luck with your Kobo!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Glad to see you got a replacement and thanks for telling us your story.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote