Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I think Apple could do is show them both in the lobby and the power goes out and he keeps reading and she just sits in the dark. And he turns to her and says, "So how's your book?"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
And then Amazon shows her turning on her new lighted cover and saying "Great." Then his iPad flickers and dies "Oh, did your battery die already?"
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I saw that last night during SNL and told my wife it made me glad I went with a clearance Sony over a Kindle.

It's like the old Grey Poupon commercials w/o the tongue-in-cheek quality
I'm not getting your point. How did this commercial show the Kindle in such a bad light that it made you glad you didn't get one?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Not technically. it's a fine machine.

That commercial just makes it look like the Kindle is the perfect e-reader to use while wrapped up in your Smuggie
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
The irony is that there are reports that the K3 page turns slow down significantly in the heat (while this may have always been the case, it seems this is more pronounced). I wonder if the new Sony's will have the same problem.
I just saw this over in the Kindle forums. Evidently there have been enough occurrences that Amazon is investigating. They havent determined the exact cause as yet.

Some suspect overheating. With the K3 being smaller and thinner heat may not be dissipating properly.
Others say any direct light causes slow page turns. One person shined a flashlight on the screen as an experiment and page turns slowed considerably.

Hopefully, Amazon will have a fix soon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
You all are missing the point. The moral of the story is: if you want to seduce a hot woman, don't talk about technology.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have read my DXG outdoors all summer long. It has not shut down on me yet and my page turn speed has been fine.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #23
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It reminds me Apple iPad eReader iBooks Demo vs. jetBook video:

[/QUOTE]
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #24
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yeah, I'm no fan of the Apple collective, but I can certainly picture the ad from Apple:

Same two actors in the waiting queue for the resort restaurant that evening. Guy has his iPad, woman has her Kindle. She's reading as she waits. He pulls out the iPad and...

...checks his reservation status
...checks his email
...discovers that there are still tickets available for a show/movie/whatever and orders them immediately

"So, good book?"
All of which the woman can probably do on her cellphone without paying an extra $30/month for an extra data connection.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #25
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
The jungle terrain is too harsh for an apple tree to grow on. Hehe.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #26
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
All of which the woman can probably do on her cellphone without paying an extra $30/month for an extra data connection.
Another idea amazon should focus on their next commercial.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #27
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
I actually enjoyed the Windows / apple commercials. Thought they were funny, if not entirely accurate. I also enjoyed this commercial. I would hope people would spend more time doing research rather than buying based on this one commercial. Oh, what am I saying....remember elections?
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #28
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
There, I fixed that for ya. Of course you can read e-books on iPad, please let us not open that particular can of worms again
I consider the iPad an eReader as much as I consider my Phone an eReader. It's like saying that I use my Nook as a web browser. Just because it has the capability doesn't mean it deserves the title.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #29
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
The Kindle connection is painfully slow. I tried it when I got my K2 about 20 months ago and never used it again. It's fine if you have nothing else, but that's a low bar.

I tried checking in for a flight and it didn't work at all. What a joke.

On cell phone, stuff is too small.

With iPad, 30 bucks is cheap to me. In parts of Asia, where I am now, I'm paying about 20 for unlimited data. I got off a plane, got a SIM, and I had unlimited Internet and e-mail, and instant wireless access to Amazon book purchasing. A bargain.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 09-14-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #30
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I see nothing wrong with the add. If you want to read in bright or outdoor places in daylight, Kindle is the better ereader.

We're talking about what's the best device for a specific purpose.

BTW, about the example of the two guys in a ticket line... If it were daylight, the iPad guy couldn't be checking the email and stuff, because he couldn't see it on screen.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote