Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

author info on plain txt file

how does the reader parse basic txt file? is there a way to present the reader with "author" and "title" info without resorting to RTF conversion?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It seems to pick up the file name (before the .txt) as the title and use the file date stamp as the author.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That seems to be what it does for any file that lacks formal meta-data, RWood.

Out of curiousity (and at the risk of showing my ignorance ), what do you lose by going with RTF instead of TXT?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Out of curiousity (and at the risk of showing my ignorance ), what do you lose by going with RTF instead of TXT?
likewise, curious of how the software parses the text. i wonder if the code is out there.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
likewise, curious of how the software parses the text. i wonder if the code is out there.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I parsed that correctly!

Are you asking how the text file is decoded for display on the Reader? I think it just displays it -- one of those things that has descended into 'taken for granted' in this modern age.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
jakeluck
Groupie

when i load a RTF file via the Connect software, the first time i select the book, the reader does "formatting" where as it nearly displays txt files instantly. also in several occasion, the reader would reset by itself after it fails the format process. have you encountered similar experiences?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I use MS Word for creating RTF files. I have never had the Reader "reset" itself the first time it loads an RTF file.

As for formatting, the only advantage that plain text has over RTF is that it is a smaller file size. A plain text file uses the default font, default font size, and shows no font attributes such as bold or italic. All of these are possible with RTF. Other formatting items such as horizontal rules seem to get lost with RTF.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote