Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
dumbnose
dumbnose began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
eBook Library software doesn't launch

I just got my PRS-700. I installed the eBook Library v2.5 software on Windows Vista laptop. When I launch the app, it never displays. I can see the "eBook Library.exe" process in Task Manager. But, it never appears on screen. I have tried all of the uninstall / reinstall steps (including deleting all of the hidden directories). Nothing works. I have downloaded the latest version from sony.com. Still doesn't appear on screen. The software appears to be doing something. If I plug my PRS-700 into the USB port, a new thread gets created. I can also see it scan the device (by using ProcMon from Sysinternals.com). So, it appears to be doing something. I just can't see it. I saw one other posting where someone had this issue and never figured it out. Has anyone else had this happen?
dumbnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I feel your pain. Just got my PRS-700 for Christmas and the Sony E-book Library app won't run. It installed just fine, but it dies silently and no process hangs around in the task manager. I tried installing it differently using the /a switch and plopping in registry entries (which were there already mostly), but still nada. E-mailed sony reader support to see if they have any say on it.

The only thing I want to do is to manage collections. I have a bunch of PDFs and I want to be able to assign the PDFs to collections and such so they're better organized. Calibre doesn't seem to let me do this, and Calibre also doesn't seem to show my SD card in the 700 either, which would be handy. Adobe Digital Editions doesn't appear to have any collection management features for the reader, so we may just be stuck until Sony fixes their E-book Library app.

Luckily, with the influx of new PRS-700 owners this Christmas (since the Kindle is out of stock), perhaps Sony will get a decent number of support requests indicating they should light a fire under their asses and get it fixed ASAP?

Their decision to treat 64-bit Vista and OSX like niche operating systems is despicable. Earlier OSX and 64-bit Vista adopters are possibly more vocal/active and would be great Sony Reader salespeople if the software would work.

I've got VMWare and other machines available to me I could run it on, but it's the principle of the thing.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashi View Post
Their decision to treat 64-bit Vista and OSX like niche operating systems is despicable. Earlier OSX and 64-bit Vista adopters are possibly more vocal/active and would be great Sony Reader salespeople if the software would work.
The newest version, 2.5 I believe it is has been modified to install properly on Vista 64-bit. Also, there is no OSx version, although there were rumors of it on Teleread's comment section several months ago.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Kurashi

Yeah, I installed 2.5 specifically because it said it supported 64 bit vista. From what I can tell, previous versions worked on 64 bit vista as well, people were just having trouble actually installing it. I didn't have any trouble installing it, just once it's installed it won't run. I tried setting compatability modes, running it as administrator, running the installer as administrator, installing to different locations, just doesn't seem to do anything at all when I run it. :/
Old 12-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashi View Post
Yeah, I installed 2.5 specifically because it said it supported 64 bit vista. From what I can tell, previous versions worked on 64 bit vista as well, people were just having trouble actually installing it. I didn't have any trouble installing it, just once it's installed it won't run. I tried setting compatability modes, running it as administrator, running the installer as administrator, installing to different locations, just doesn't seem to do anything at all when I run it. :/
Ok... a couple of things.

1. Did you add the Sony eLibrary software as an exception in your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) setup?

2. There is a thread here where you delete a bunch of folders... I can't find the thread... but perhaps someone else here will remember what the folders are.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Kurashi

Thanks pilotbob!

I actually had read the thread about disabling DEP for the E-book Library executable, but I forgot about it. First thing I do when I install XP SP2/3 or Vista is force DEP on for all processes. Went in and added an exception for it and voila, started up instantly.

For reference for others:

Either Right click on "My Computer" on the desktop or click start and right click on "Computer" then from the menu that pops up, select Properties.

On the left side of the window that pops up, click "Advanced system settings".

From the dialog that pops up, select the Advanced tab, then click the Settings button next to the Performance section of that tab page.

From the settings dialog that pops up, select the Data Execution Prevention tab and click the "Add..." button near the bottom of the page and browse for the C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe file and click OK.

Then click OK on those dialogs and close them out and that should do it.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Hit&Run
Hit&Run is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle wannabe
Frustrated and disappointed

This is not quite off-topic, but skirts the edges:

I'm not at all au fait with all the technical alternatives for loading the software; I just find, having loaded it, that it is the most archaic, ugly, slow, cumbersome, hit-or-miss, amateurish program that I have had the misfortune to encounter in a long, long time. The MySpace page of an average ten-year-old looks more sophisticated than the eLibrary pages. It looks like someone spent a minute and a half drawing it on a piece of paper with their ruler and pencil, scanned it in and added purple to the lines and voila! Very attractive.

Then there is getting to the eBook store through it: most of the time it won't connect, just sits there with this enormous purple circle with a white arrow in it turning in the middle of the screen. For hours. There is no "Stop" function; you have to X the page and start again. Needing a stiff drink now before I can use the program, I'd like to be able to just go straight to the eBook store online via my browser, sign in and look at my account or purchase books. Can I do that? Nope. There is no login box if you go to the site via browser: if you want to log in you have to access the store via the Library program (on those rare occasions it will make the connection). Trying to go to my list of purchased books in my account I generally end up staring at that infernal purple circle again for minutes before giving up in disgust. When I do get there, it throws me back to Page 1 of my booklist after every attempted download or check of my Library. Too bad that I was trying to download a book on Page 3 of my list and that's where I want to be.

Then the navigation of the site itself is bizarre: Click on "9 Free Books," expecting to be directed to, oh, you know, 9 free books, and you see four of them. Click on "Show All" and you go to ALL the sale books. I just want to see and download the Nine. Free. Books.

I thought I'd try to access books some other way - but of course Sony eReaders do not support Mobipocket, so there goes that idea.

It was lovely of my husband to buy the PRS-700 for me. Sadly, my experience of it so far has been nothing but frustrating, and I have asked him to return it as the process of getting books for it just makes me want to toss my computer (and the eReader) out the window. I'll wait until I can work out some way to buy a Kindle (being one of those leprous non-Americans not permitted to read US DRM books) so I can use Amazon to buy my books.

I keep thinking this is what happens when you get people who make televisions and Playstations to design a site for book people.

Possibly I am making some fundamental error and someone here (after rolling their eyes, shaking their head and making terse comments about my lack of tech know-how ) can give me the simple key to making this thing user-friendly. I just want it to work logically (or at all, really). I wanted to be able to use my eReader. I guess I just want it to be Amazon.com.

HR

Ok so now I've read the "24 Hours Later With My PRS-700" thread and will go look at some of those other sites for accessing compatible books.

I see so many people here happy with their Sony readers, so I'm sure mine must be teething issues. I'll browse around some more threads here and see what I can find out. I am not a computer-head, so I don't want to have to spend hours tinkering with software: I just want to be able to buy books with a point-and-click, organise and read 'em!

Last edited by Hit&Run; 12-26-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Failure to search Mobileread properly for pre-existing answers to my dilemmas!
Hit&Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit&Run View Post
This is not quite off-topic, but skirts the edges:

I'm not at all au fait with all the technical alternatives for loading the software; I just find, having loaded it, that it is the most archaic, ugly, slow, cumbersome, hit-or-miss, amateurish program that I have had the misfortune to encounter in a long, long time. The MySpace page of an average ten-year-old looks more sophisticated than the eLibrary pages. It looks like someone spent a minute and a half drawing it on a piece of paper with their ruler and pencil, scanned it in and added purple to the lines and voila! Very attractive.

Then there is getting to the eBook store through it: most of the time it won't connect, just sits there with this enormous purple circle with a white arrow in it turning in the middle of the screen. For hours. There is no "Stop" function; you have to X the page and start again. Needing a stiff drink now before I can use the program, I'd like to be able to just go straight to the eBook store online via my browser, sign in and look at my account or purchase books. Can I do that? Nope. There is no login box if you go to the site via browser: if you want to log in you have to access the store via the Library program (on those rare occasions it will make the connection). Trying to go to my list of purchased books in my account I generally end up staring at that infernal purple circle again for minutes before giving up in disgust. When I do get there, it throws me back to Page 1 of my booklist after every attempted download or check of my Library. Too bad that I was trying to download a book on Page 3 of my list and that's where I want to be.

Then the navigation of the site itself is bizarre: Click on "9 Free Books," expecting to be directed to, oh, you know, 9 free books, and you see four of them. Click on "Show All" and you go to ALL the sale books. I just want to see and download the Nine. Free. Books.

I thought I'd try to access books some other way - but of course Sony eReaders do not support Mobipocket, so there goes that idea.

It was lovely of my husband to buy the PRS-700 for me. Sadly, my experience of it so far has been nothing but frustrating, and I have asked him to return it as the process of getting books for it just makes me want to toss my computer (and the eReader) out the window. I'll wait until I can work out some way to buy a Kindle (being one of those leprous non-Americans not permitted to read US DRM books) so I can use Amazon to buy my books.

I keep thinking this is what happens when you get people who make televisions and Playstations to design a site for book people.

Possibly I am making some fundamental error and someone here (after rolling their eyes, shaking their head and making terse comments about my lack of tech know-how ) can give me the simple key to making this thing user-friendly. I just want it to work logically (or at all, really). I wanted to be able to use my eReader. I guess I just want it to be Amazon.com.

HR

I'm sorry you are having these problems. I haven't had them, to be honest, and I do like the ebookstore. I find it very easy to browse, and get what I am looking for. I would be frustrated if I were having the connection problems though. Maybe someone here has a suggestion to help with the connection.

On another note, if you scroll down a little on the bargain page, all of the free books are there together.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Hit&Run
Hit&Run is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle wannabe
I'm sorry you are having these problems. I haven't had them, to be honest, and I do like the ebookstore. I find it very easy to browse, and get what I am looking for.
On another note, if you scroll down a little on the bargain page, all of the free books are there together.

Thank you, lilac_jive! I'm glad to hear that if I get past the connection/navigation issues all may be revealed! I'm actually hoping that the fault is me and not them because I really do want it to work. You give me hope!!

If I can get into the site, I'll look further down the Bargain Books page for the free books.

Then I'll try to be a little more patient and lateral instead of presuming that what I link to should pop right up in front of me... I guess I just need to spend a little more time on the site to see how it's organised.

HR
Hit&Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit&Run View Post
I'm sorry you are having these problems. I haven't had them, to be honest, and I do like the ebookstore. I find it very easy to browse, and get what I am looking for.

Thank you, lilac_jive! I'm glad to hear that if I get past the connection/navigation issues all may be revealed! I'm actually hoping that the fault is me and not them because I really do want it to work. You give me hope!!

If I can get into the site, I'll look further down the Bargain Books page for the free books.

Then I'll try to be a little more patient and lateral instead of presuming that what I link to should pop right up in front of me... I guess I just need to spend a little more time on the site to see how it's organised.

HR
If you want a better feel for organization, just go to the website (www.ebookstore.sony.com). I browse it a lot at work (Library is on my home PC).
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

HR- Here's the troubleshooting page for connections on the ebookstore website:

http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...i=&p_topview=1

Hope this helps!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
dumbnose

I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. I've been on hold with Sony support for an hour and a half. They said it would be 5-15 minutes. I'm not sure what else to do.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbnose View Post
I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. I've been on hold with Sony support for an hour and a half. They said it would be 5-15 minutes. I'm not sure what else to do.
They are probably overloaded, lots of people got these for xmas.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
dumbnose

After almost 2 hours on hold, my cell phone disconnected. I called back and was told that the Tier 2 support people had gone home OVER AN HOUR BEFORE. So, I was sitting on hold for over an hour when there was no one to answer my call. This is definitely the worst customer support I have ever experienced.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbnose View Post
After almost 2 hours on hold, my cell phone disconnected. I called back and was told that the Tier 2 support people had gone home OVER AN HOUR BEFORE. So, I was sitting on hold for over an hour when there was no one to answer my call. This is definitely the worst customer support I have ever experienced.
same thing happened to my girlfriend a few days agoo while on hold for the doctors office, they really do suck when it comes to that
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote