Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #76
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
By your own self-fulfilling criteria, then - this is now the perfect thread.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #77
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
She was definitely before my time but I remember the song well. The Wikipedia shows she's still alive (at 90) and recently active. "We'll Meet Again": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY
...and the jumping off point from my post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzwCm9n6_Yw

Cheers,
Marc (with that space cadet glow)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #78
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Arm Books
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #79
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Arm Books
"Arm Books"? I suppose you could - they do say that books don't kill people; words kill people...or something like that.

Cheers,
Marc (permit-carrying NLA member - National Library Association)
Old 02-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #80
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
@Zelda:

While this post does have French, and squid, am not so sure that it is the best thread ever.

Though, perhaps I am too much influenced by my notion of the perfect thread. We still lack Redheads, robots, and coffee smoothies delivered via an orphidet-eqsue connectionality.

There has also been no pie. None whatsoever. Not even French silk, which--no insult to our illustrious Franco-brethren(gender inclusive)--is the lowest form of pie, merely once place above cake.
Cthulhu : you do seem to have high standards. i tend to be fairly liberal in my judgement of "perfect" threads (or at least very very great), and almost any thread with a high-enough absurdity level will at least get honorable mention.

but in this particular instance, what makes you so sure i'm not a redhead (hm, i almost spelled that "readhead" in an interesting freudian typo) ? a redhead, sipping a coffee smoothie in front of a luscious piece of pear pie (that's my favorite pie), lovingly hand-made by my trusty robot, Joe ? if not the many, at least the few...

i admit that i have no idea what "orphidet" means. (and wikipedia and google are no help... google simply suggested "Essayez avec cette orthographe : orchidée" and wikipedia recommended i search for something that actually exists).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeesmoothie.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	11001   Click image for larger version

Name:	tartepoire.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	11002   Click image for larger version

Name:	redhead.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	11003  
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #81
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i admit that i have no idea what "orphidet" means. (and wikipedia and google are no help... google simply suggested "Essayez avec cette orthographe : orchidée" and wikipedia recommended i search for something that actually exists).
Try "orphidnet" (note the "n") on Google, or even here. It's singularly elucidating.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #82
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Monts: Cute.

@ Zelda...Thanks for the pics. However, that looks more like a tart than a pie (still higher on the Bakery scale than pie), and that's one sad little robot. Or is that our Redhead? Mm....Tarty Redheads.
;-

As for perfection, it of course means high standards. That is a tautology.
And am all for absurdity. Provided it proves a point. Ars gratia artis does devolve into Dadaism, but we must rise above such risible actions.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #83
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Monts: Cute.
I am deeply hurt. I bring all of my intellectual capacity to bare trying to find a meaning behind the word "orphidet" (I think I'll name my next dog after that fully-sic typo), and the most you can offer my poor, sad, pathetic, grovelling-for-validation psyche is "cute"?

...Okay, by coindence the io9 blog had an item on the work just today:

http://io9.com/361680/postsingular-i...ldest-ride-yet

but my patheticity (I make up words) still stands (or, at least, still crawls).

Quote:
@ Zelda...Thanks for the pics. However, that looks more like a tart than a pie (still higher on the Bakery scale than pie),
The only pies I know-and-love are meat pies, and the patisserie down the bottom of the hill does a luscious lamb-and-mushroom (and also beef-and-red-wine, and Thai chicken, and just a plain, old, perfectly satisfactory and Aussie-traditional "steak" that yearns for lashings of tomato sauce. They also do a nice range of "sweets", and their elsewhere-mentioned Paris Brest is to die for...seriously, it'll clog your arteries quicker than you can respond with a childish giggle to the word "infarct").

Quote:
...As for perfection, it of course means high standards. That is a tautology.
And am all for absurdity. Provided it proves a point. Ars gratia artis does devolve into Dadaism, but we must rise above such risible actions.
Alas, I'm at about my intellectual height already, straining to keep my nose above my own surface-nonsense. If you're going to raise the water level, I suspect I may soon drown in my own tom-foolery, and simply become (even more) irritating.

Cheers,
Marc (we have to prove a point now? [gulp])
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #84
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I really like this thread.

Marc, I meant no injurious intent with my response.
Verily, my succinct statement was meant as an acknowledgment of sharing cool-ignosity. You at least read past page 100. So my aim was to shoot mad props to yon far hemisphere, and do so with a paucity of letters.

To make amends:

Word, G.

As for your notion of pies, yea, I have supped on a savory hand-held fat-conveying pastry, the first time as part of an embarrassingly geeky LOTR viewing.
Am sorry to hear that in crafting such a marvelous world for you people that Mr. Baum would elect/neglect to not/include the sublime joy of joys that is a fruit pie. No surprise the inhabitants of Oz are all so bizarre.

;-)
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #85
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added an Avatar just so Cthulhu could have his robot...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #86
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Marcel Duchamp Memorial Thread

clearly i have to stop sleeping... look at everything i missed during the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Try "orphidnet" (note the "n") on Google, or even here. It's singularly elucidating.

Cheers,
Marc
thanks for the tip (and also : "it's singularly elucidating" : ar ar ar !), all is now clear !

Quote:
@ Zelda...Thanks for the pics. However, that looks more like a tart than a pie (still higher on the Bakery scale than pie), and that's one sad little robot. Or is that our Redhead? Mm....Tarty Redheads.
;-

As for perfection, it of course means high standards. That is a tautology.
@ Cthulhu : first : yes, in french i would call that a "tarte", but isn't my tarte your pie ? what is a pie then ? maybe you should find your own picture, because now i is confused as to what contitutes pie-ness as opposed to other confections with a pastry shell and filling of your choice (or in this case, my choice : mmm, pears !)

second : that last photo would in fact be the redhead, as you can confirm by hovering long enough to see the filename (and what further proof could you possibly need ?). whether or not it is a photo of a tarty redhead, i prefer not to speculate (i believe there is a law which protects against self-incrimination).

next : as for perfection = high standards, true, true, i am guilty of a rather embarassing tautology there. perhaps i should have said that your standards for perfection clearly are not the same as mine. however, that being said, in defense of ars gratia artis, absurdity, and dadaism, may i add that sometimes it is all about the journey, rather than the destination.

in fact i am frequently guilty of absurdum gratia absurditatis (and please excuse my wanton abuse of the declinaisons, my latin is so old and forgotten that my "foolishness" has probably also degenerated into gibberish), i find it sufficiently inherently satisfying as to prefer to linger and meander, frequently losing sight of my origin as well as my destination. less lofty intellects would argue that this is an archetypically feminine trait (in contrast to the alleged linear nature of masculine thinking), however my empirical opinion is that the "first sex" can digress with the best of them. (suivez mon regard...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Alas, I'm at about my intellectual height already, straining to keep my nose above my own surface-nonsense. If you're going to raise the water level, I suspect I may soon drown in my own tom-foolery, and simply become (even more) irritating.

Cheers,
Marc (we have to prove a point now? [gulp])
just relax, you will soon learn that absurdity, like ducks and wood, is buoyant ! i beleive it was the (damn) hippies who used to say "go with the flow". i wouldn't have you throw in the towel ((c) "MixMaster Metaphor") for anything, after all it takes many streams to make a river (trying for a new record in number of trite aphorisms per paragraph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I added an Avatar just so Cthulhu could have his robot...
a fine and generous display on the part of Taylor514ce, although speaking of "sad robots" the photo Cthulhu first (mistakenly) took to be a robot has got nothing on this one. i hope he doesn't bring us all down. dare i ask how you are feeling today, Mar- heu, Taylor ?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #87
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Soooo depressed.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #88
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Soooo depressed.
of course you are. still got that pain all down your left diodes i suppose.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #89
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Oh well, of course... but I recently upgraded an internal read-out to eInk, and now between every thought I briefly blackout. Which, when you have a brain the size of a planet... <sigh>
Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #90
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I like liseuse, and lets face it, English is full of words that have been acquired from elsewhere. That's what makes it so great, that it has words like dinosaur, mana, kilometre and Eskimo in it (Greek, Polynesian, French and Eskimo respectively). It's not as though one more French word in the language will hurt the situation, our spelling is already atrocious. I'm sure we could Anglicise the spelling enough that the French would disown the term Perhaps lissoose so that merkins can pronounce it properly :P
Actually Eskimo is a Cree word. The Eskimo actually call themselves Inuit. They view Eskimo as an insult.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera