Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #76
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is The Configuration Folder (that is not it's name, it is its task) and it most assuredly DOES exist in W64 (preferences: Miscellaneous: Open Calibre Configuration Directory )
When I do that it opens Explorer, then I bring it to the new folders I created for 64 bits on my second hard disk, then to the Calibre Settings folder there, but it never keeps it no matter how many times I try. So it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Again; the library goes wherever YOU want. The ONLY stuff on the C drive is the program and the AppData, and if you are THAT concerned about the AppData you should probably use some of the standard Windows tool to relocate your entire home directory to a different; non C drive location.
It does not say anywhere in the options where to get the library to somewhere else, so...

Quote:
Mountain outa mole hill 2 folders to back up, 1 IS tied to your OS logon. Been using Windows since 3.11 (the WFWG network version) and never had my user folder blown away out of the blue.
I've had numerous occasions since I've had my first computer, a windows 98 SE (but the real first computer I interacted with was my mother's and she had Windows 3.11 on it), when I had to fomat C because of some virus or some problems concerning Windows. And those times I was quite relieved to know I had everything on second partition and second hard disk and did not lose anything.

Last edited by Nothingness; 12-31-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #77
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Nothingness - Kovid suggested moving the 64bit Calibre to wherever the portable version is 'installed' and giving it a try - I am pretty sure he means the program files, not the config files.

The config data is the same for 32 bit, 64 bit and portable - the difference is only where the files are located, installed versions put the config data in AppData, the portable version puts the config data in the subfolder Calibre Settings of wherever you have the portable version installed.

Forget the config files in AppData (they're an artefact of the 64 bit install) and they're irrelevant to what I think you're wanting to do - which is to try Kovid's suggestion.
  • Copy your entire Calibre Portable folder to somewhere like C:\CalibrePortableTest
  • Copy what's in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 (that's 64 bit Calibre) to C:\CalibrePortableTest\Calibre - overwrite whats there
  • Try running CalibrePortableTest\Calibre\calibre.exe
If it works and it is the 64 bit version (it displays '64 bit' in the status line, I think) then you have the means to get what you want - a 64 bit portable Calibre. If it doesn't then keep using the 32bit portable from wherever you currently have it.

You'll probably want to uninstall the 64 bit version once you've got things as you would like - I think the uninstall has an option to get rid of the configuration files in AppData - if not delete them manually after the uninstall.

Hope this helps - BR

PS : you tell Calibre where to put a Library when you create it - by default I think portable puts them in wherever the program is installed. I think I'm right in saying that Portable was intended to be run off a Thumb Drive that contains the whole kit and caboodle. But AFAIK a library can be anywhere.

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-31-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add PS
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #78
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
Portable requires the first (default-starting) Library to be where it is, You can have additional libraries with portable.

Nothingness
Calibre will recreate the configuration folder if missing from the expected location.

There are 23 folders in my Local Settings\application data
There are 39 folders in my Application Data

Ubuntu puts things in the dot config folder

Unless you have taken steps to set your OS to use alternate locations for system type folders
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Nothingness - Kovid suggested moving the 64bit Calibre to wherever the portable version is 'installed' and giving it a try - I am pretty sure he means the program files, not the config files.

The config data is the same for 32 bit, 64 bit and portable - the difference is only where the files are located, installed versions put the config data in AppData, the portable version puts the config data in the subfolder Calibre Settings of wherever you have the portable version installed.

Forget the config files in AppData (they're an artefact of the 64 bit install) and they're irrelevant to what I think you're wanting to do - which is to try Kovid's suggestion.
  • Copy your entire Calibre Portable folder to somewhere like C:\CalibrePortableTest
  • Copy what's in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 (that's 64 bit Calibre) to C:\CalibrePortableTest\Calibre - overwrite whats there
  • Try running CalibrePortableTest\Calibre\calibre.exe
If it works and it is the 64 bit version (it displays '64 bit' in the status line, I think) then you have the means to get what you want - a 64 bit portable Calibre. If it doesn't then keep using the 32bit portable from wherever you currently have it.

You'll probably want to uninstall the 64 bit version once you've got things as you would like - I think the uninstall has an option to get rid of the configuration files in AppData - if not delete them manually after the uninstall.

Hope this helps - BR

PS : you tell Calibre where to put a Library when you create it - by default I think portable puts them in wherever the program is installed. I think I'm right in saying that Portable was intended to be run off a Thumb Drive that contains the whole kit and caboodle. But AFAIK a library can be anywhere.
Yeah, I did that, copy the 64 bits into a backup portable folder. It never asked to overwrite anything though. And when I started the 64 bits version I created a library and set it to the Calibre Library inside the folder of the backup portable folder. It works and now my ebooks are there. But both my settings and my plugins are not in though. Any tips for that?

Thanks!
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #80
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Mountain outa mole hill 2 folders to back up, 1 IS tied to your OS logon.
So how do you run calibre 64bit from a usb stick or the like, given that you can't simply clobber the local machines config folder with your one (since it's possibly not your machine)?
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #81
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
So how do you run calibre 64bit from a usb stick or the like, given that you can't simply clobber the local machines config folder with your one (since it's possibly not your machine)?
By writing and compiling your own.
Why are you people ignoring Kovids statement (that has been mentioned already in this subthread)? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=7
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #82
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By writing and compiling your own.
Why are you people ignoring Kovids statement (that has been mentioned already in this subthread)? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=7
I did see it, I guess I just didn't like the sarcastic response to someone concerned about backing up hidden files that are not necessarily where you'd think they are. They're not always on your boot disk after all, mine aren't.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #83
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I did see it, I guess I just didn't like the sarcastic response to someone concerned about backing up hidden files that are not necessarily where you'd think they are. They're not always on your boot disk after all, mine aren't.
There is no windows requirement that your boot disk be the location of you logon directory (%userprofile%).
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #84
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just did what Kovid said to do, and what I expanded on - it works

I keep Calibre Portable 32 bit in C:\Program Files Portable\Calibre Portable 32 - this is an arbitrary location that happens to suit me.

I copied it to C:\Program Files Portable\Calibre Portable 64

I downloaded and installed 64bit Calibre (to C:\Program Files\Calibre2)

I then copied everything in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 to C:\Program Files Portable\Calibre Portable 64\Calibre - telling Windows to overwrite everything.

If you find the overwrite awkward - then delete everything in C:\Program Files Portable\Calibre Portable 64\Calibre before you do the copy.

I then ran C:\Program Files Portable\Calibre Portable 64\calibre-portable.exe

see attachment - look at the status line and the location of the config files.

I have not done any testing beyond "Oh look, it seems to work'

@nothingness - if you do what Kovid suggests (augmented by my cook book instructions) you should have a 64 bit Portable Calibre - which you can put wherever you like. As theDucks has pointed out the default library will be where the portable version of calibre lives - but you can create other libraries elsewhere.

BR

Now I'm off to rappel down the fiscal cliff - woo hoo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	98548  

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-01-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add joke
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #85
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I have a question, and perhaps a problem. I wasn't sure whether I had the 64-bit version of Calibre, and when I updated I downloaded the 32-bit version. It said it needed to make changes to Microsoft Office (!), so I cancelled the installation. It then prompted me whether I wanted to undo changes and I said no, but I believe I should have said yes, although I can't remember the exact wording of the prompt.

Do I need to undo the changes made in the cancelled installation? If so, how do I accomplish it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #86
Kirtai
Addict

Quote:
There is no windows requirement that your boot disk be the location of you logon directory (%userprofile%).
Isn't that what I said?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #87
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Isn't that what I said?
IMHO, NO
You demanded to separate the Calibre preferences from the (LOGON) user folder
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #88
Kirtai
Addict

Quote:
IMHO, NO
You demanded to separate the Calibre preferences from the (LOGON) user folder
Really? Doesn't look like it to me:

"They're not always on your boot disk after all, mine aren't."
"There is no windows requirement that your boot disk be the location of you logon directory (%userprofile%)."

I think we're talking past each other now though since I never "demanded to separate the Calibre preferences from the (LOGON) user folder". Why would I since I already knew it could be done and how to do it?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #89
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
I guess I did everything exactly wrong:

1. Uninstalled Calibre 32-bit
2. Installed Calibre 64-bit
3. Everything worked right out of the box - plug ins, DRM tools, conversions, everything, just like it did in the original program. All my settings remained intact. All my books retained all of their properties.

Couldn't have been any more painless.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #90
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Save files to disk

What am I doing wrong?

Neither the 32bit nor 64bit will save to disk.

Everything looks fine but no file appears in the target folder.

Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote