Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #1
pete11
pete11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite - impossible to reset

Hi everyone have had a search and can't find any thread about this issue, and Amazon Support has been very unhelpful, so I'm posting here now as a last try.

Downloaded content started to randomly vanish from the kindle, I couldn't download new content, or delete already downloaded content. It's as if the kindle's memory has frozen in time and won't remember any changes.

Resetting does not work, and tried all the methods I could find by googling including manually deleting content via USB and wiping the kindle drive via USB. It is somehow strangely impervious to any attempts to reset it.

Whenever I content amazon I get hopeless staff who tell me to download and install the latest update. I do that, tell them it fails, and they say they will get back to me after checking with the technical support. They never get back to me, so when I contact again they repeat the whole script, and after 5 or 6 attempts I gave up contacting them. They even asked for the diagnostics files from my kindle then never replied after I sent the files over. Hopeless.

Please share any ideas you might have
pete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, that sounds very much to me as if the Kindle's flash memory has failed. If that is so, there's no fix for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
pete11
pete11 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, that sounds very much to me as if the Kindle's flash memory has failed. If that is so, there's no fix for it.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea what might have caused this?

I'm wondering if it's safe to get a new one. The price now is somehow more expensive than when I bought mine, and after only 2 years feel quite let down, and safer spending money on physical books.
pete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just bad luck, unfortunately. It's not a common failure, but it does happen from time to time. It can happen to any device from any manufacturer. You would be monumentally unlucky to have it happen twice.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete11 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea what might have caused this?

I'm wondering if it's safe to get a new one. The price now is somehow more expensive than when I bought mine, and after only 2 years feel quite let down, and safer spending money on physical books.
''

All your books should still be stored on your amazon account. If its too expensive to get a new paperwhite try the 7" fire tablet or the basic kindle for now.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
There are discount from time to time, quite regularly. A recent second hand unit could be an option to consider, too.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Jooles999
Jooles999 began at the beginning.

Had same problem.
This worked for me:
Assuming that you have a PC.
1) Create a blank file in Notepad titled DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Remove the .txt extension from the file you created in File Explorer

2) Connect the Kindle to your computer using a USB cable.

3) Copy the file you created into the root directory (don't put into any folder) of your Kindle.

Do a reset of the Kindle by holding down on the power button (20 secs, not the short restart) till the Kindle restarts. It should (fingers crossed) perform a factory reset.

hope this worked. You will of course have to reconnect your kindle to your account and re download all books
Jooles999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
ken205726
ken205726 began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle Paerwhite 1st Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooles999 View Post
Had same problem.
This worked for me:
Assuming that you have a PC.
1) Create a blank file in Notepad titled DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Remove the .txt extension from the file you created in File Explorer

2) Connect the Kindle to your computer using a USB cable.

3) Copy the file you created into the root directory (don't put into any folder) of your Kindle.

Do a reset of the Kindle by holding down on the power button (20 secs, not the short restart) till the Kindle restarts. It should (fingers crossed) perform a factory reset.

hope this worked. You will of course have to reconnect your kindle to your account and re download all books
I did this very easily and the Kindle Restored to factory. If I look at the Kindle on my PC my books etc are gone and the RESTORE file is gone but the display stays stubbornly locked.
So the battery must be working. The reboot sequence worked. The memory must be working.
It is a stubborn little devil!
ken205726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken205726 View Post
I did this very easily and the Kindle Restored to factory. If I look at the Kindle on my PC my books etc are gone and the RESTORE file is gone but the display stays stubbornly locked.
So the battery must be working. The reboot sequence worked. The memory must be working.
It is a stubborn little devil!
That sounds very much like you have a cracked screen substrate. Whatever was on the screen last will remain and won't change. Usually you'll see at least some sort of diagonal line or distortion on the screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM   #10
fezon
fezon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi,

I have a Kindle Paperwihite 2 and i´m facing the same problem as pete11 does. Yesterday I was contact Amazon support but they just say that the device i broken and they offer me a good price for a new one. The support helped me to try to update my device due to I´m not running the latest. My device has firmware 5.9.4 and when I´m trying to install the new one the device just start up with 5.9.4.

When I add new books to the memory after a while the device reboot and the new book it´s gone. Just like pete11 wrote: It's as if the kindle's memory has frozen in time and won't remember any changes.

Does any one know if there is a solution?

BR
fezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 AM   #11
fezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezon View Post
Hi,

I have a Kindle Paperwihite 2 and i´m facing the same problem as pete11 does. Yesterday I was contact Amazon support but they just say that the device i broken and they offer me a good price for a new one. The support helped me to try to update my device due to I´m not running the latest. My device has firmware 5.9.4 and when I´m trying to install the new one the device just start up with 5.9.4.

When I add new books to the memory after a while the device reboot and the new book it´s gone. Just like pete11 wrote: It's as if the kindle's memory has frozen in time and won't remember any changes.

Does any one know if there is a solution?

BR
Beside this problem my Kindle works perfectly on books I have added before this problem started.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please see my post #2 above.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #13
fezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please see my post #2 above.
It´s crazy that the device not can be fixed. I mean beacuse it´s runs perfectly on already added books so it´s hard to realize that the device is broken.

You wrote in post #2 that the flash memory has failed. Can this hardware be replaced? Or maybe some kind of "hard" reset so the memory forgot the information?
Old 11-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
when flash memory faiis, it sometimes does that in way that means no changes can be written to memory.

so the books you already added are still readable, but add/delete books is broken.

it is not practical or cost effective to try to extract and replace only the memory. you need to buy a new unit. This is a good week for doing that. the PW4 is £30 off
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You could replace the motherboard, but unless you enjoy doing that kind of thing it's just not an effective use of one's time (IMHO). These are "throw-away" devices.