Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
pizzikoku
pizzikoku began at the beginning.

Device: onyx m92
Informations about browsing and applications

Hi to everybody!
I'd like to buy Onyx M92 ebook reader but I need, before buying it, some informations that I can't find in the forum.
In particular:
Does it work good with wolfram alpha website? Can someone try this link as example?
Is it possible to install generic applications written for android/linux in the device? (I mean software as Gnuplot, maxima or scilab).
Do they need to be recompiled or they can be installed "as they are"?
Thank you in advance.
pizzikoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
As to applications...

It does not have android OS, so android applications will not work.

Linux applications would have to be recompiled - and most probably more or less changed to be able to run on M92. It has very different display and 'keyboard' is not standard and it has a pen....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
pizzikoku

Ok, many thanks for your answer about applications compatibility.

But before buying it, I will wait for some response about wolfram alpha web site compatibility: I can't understand by myself if computation (as linked above) is made by server or client and if the web site needs some kind of browser technology that doesn't work on M92.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
I don't know what's wrong, but when visiting Wolfram Alpha, my M92 simply doesn't show anything - I only see a blank page.
But if I directly surf to e.g. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3x^2, I can at least see the Wolfram Alpha website design and the status display "Computing". But it never finishes computing...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Sorry, for me it did not work, it was just displaying "computing..."

Maybe this site needs something that this browser still lacks.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
pizzikoku

Ok, thank you very much for your trying.
It's crucial for me, so I shan't buy it.
I think I shall post this question in Jetbook forum too.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
corgorav
corgorav began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello folks, I've got my black M92 ordered and was wondering if someone could maybe try if the following site works on M92: http://www.sciencedaily.com/, and do you have some other "general science" sites that work fine on the device?

Also, from y'all's experiences on browsing with the M92, what kinda things render a website unusable? Like gifs, certain ads or scripts etc?

Thanks
corgorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
pizzikoku

So, it's me again!
Could someone try also the mobile version of wolfram alpha website, please?
This is the web address:
http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3x^2
Thank you very much again!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
If I write "i=3x^2" to input line, it writes I should use i as variable. I do not know how.

Otherwise it seems to work. If I input y=3x^2, it says it is parabola, draws the graph, gives formulaes for derivations and value for global minima.

To have a look ocasionaly, it is OK, but for serious work, tablet would be better....

M92 is mainly for reading, not web browsing.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
@pizzikoku: Ah, nice idea. The mobile version works just perfect. But believe me: input of complicated formulas that contain basic symbols like any kind of brackets, accents (like ^) or +/- is a pain with the on screen keyboard. Would be perfect to have a special keyboard for this usecase like with the official WolframAlpha android app. Since there exists an official WolframAlpha API, it would be theoretically possible to rewrite this android app for our M92. But I don't think that anybody will actually take the effort.

@corgorav: No problems with sciencedaily.com. Javascript or animated gifs are no problem for M92 either (even though animated gifs are extremely ugly for simple technical reasons). But instead of Java Applets and Flash Object you will see a blank space on the screen.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
I have not tried Wolfram Alpha on my M92, but it seems to be very heavy on the JavaScript side. Since eInk only allows for so many refreshes per second, JavaScript being dynamically displayed is not very suitable for an eBook-reader. That is one of the reasons, I guess, why Wolfram Alpha does not work very well. I am not sure what browser engine is running on the M92, but I guess the focus was not on implementing JavaScript to its fullest potential (I think, it should be disabled by default).

EDIT: I did not mean that JavaScript does not run on the M92; it runs just fine... it's just not as enjoyable as you might want it to be...
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i do not have an M92 in front of me but i do have an Boox 60 and a M90 here are screen shots from the regular and mobile wolfram alpha site after inputting the equation using y=3x^2

the first is from regular and for some reason it didnt load the graph , the second is the mobile and it did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_1.png
Views:	305
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	84098   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_6.png
Views:	332
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	84099  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
As to applications...

It does not have android OS, so android applications will not work.

Linux applications would have to be recompiled - and most probably more or less changed to be able to run on M92. It has very different display and 'keyboard' is not standard and it has a pen....
I may add that the device its not running X, but uses QT Embedded, so no Gtk/Xlib programs, unless you can port those yourself. Plain QT programs could be ported with little effort, but I'm not a C++ programmer myself. Non graphical, non interactive application compile and run just fine.

Ciao!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
pizzikoku

Ok, many thanks to everybody.
So M92 works enough with wolfram alpha mobile web site.
By a post in Jetbook forum, it seems that the compatibility issue concerns the compatibility with SVG files, that web site in his full version uses for the image.
In fact, it seems also the problem Dulin's Books showed.
So the question could be if it is possible to install another browser to increase the compatibility.
Finally, a question that regards wifi: can the ereader connect also where signal is not so good (related to other kind of device, as notebook, smartphone. etc.) ?
Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by pizzikoku; 03-18-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i have connected to a wifi network in a book store while i was sitting outside in my car. but there have also been times when i could not connect from right inside my house next to my laptop which is connected.

so it depends

on the browser- the 0nyx browser is webkit so it is theoretically possible to improve it if you have the proper know how. webkit has a page devoted to SVG implementation http://www.webkit.org/projects/svg/index.html
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote