Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Deerslayer
Deerslayer began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Kobo pooched - screen anomaly

Well, I got almost a year's worth of joy out of it, so I guess I may have to accept things, but ...

I settled down to finish reading one of my books the other day. A chunk of the screen (about 2" square, lower left corner, top of it was ragged, right side was straight) was blank! No matter what I have tried, this never goes away. The device is now useless. It is almost like something got laid on top of that area, with a very precise edge (not even 1 pixel variation along that straight edge!) and masked it off.

Having accepted that the device is probably pooched, I would really like to know what kind of things can happen to e-ink. This Kobo is one of the earliest, I bought it the first week or so that it hit Chapters. I have always protected it, kept in a soft case, etc. If the defective area was completely regular, e.g., a rectangle, I would suspect some sort of screen driver/memory problem, but the pattern I have mystifies me. So, before I "close the chapter" on my e-book experience, I wonder if someone in KOBO support might have some thoughts on this? Or, has anyone else seen something similar? Or, is there some rare susceptibility to (UV?) that e-ink experiences?

Thankfully, I have never bought any e-books! I found lots of good stuff, much of it via feedbooks.com, to keep me entertained. I will certainly miss the ability to have all kinds of reference manual PDF's readily available (camera, car, various electronic things, other personal documents etc.) - that was a major selling point for me of KOBO vs. Kindle and some others. At least I have my Eee PC, which can do this, and more, but does have a hard disk, so one has to be more careful about its use.

I appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I don't know anything about the expected life of e-ink, but thought I'd mention that Kobo seems to have a policy to replace/repair the devices - according to this thread anyways: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129277

You might try going into Chapters or calling Kobo.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or even open a support ticket on the Kobo web site. That was what I did and in just over a day I had the packing material to return the unit that had a broken screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My original was 9 or10 months old in February when the screen went on it. I took it back to Coles where I bought it and they replaced it with a new Wifi model. If it's less thana year old it should be replaceable.
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Deerslayer
Deerslayer began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMeyer View Post
My original was 9 or10 months old in February when the screen went on it. I took it back to Coles where I bought it and they replaced it with a new Wifi model. If it's less thana year old it should be replaceable.
That is exactly what happened to me, yesterday!

Obviously, this (Chapters/KOBO) is a good outfit to be dealing with. I will certainly continue to recommend the KOBO product to friends and family. I was trying to resign myself to abandoning the system, and other alternative products really did not appeal to me.
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
JASR
JASR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
In the first 9weeks of owning my Kobo the screen broke. Apparently the glass that sits under the e-ink screen is very sensitive. It's a big problem with most e-readers. I brought it back to the store and they replaced it. The Kobo Support can replace it if it's still under the 1yr warranty I think.
JASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And this morning, a rap on the door alerted me to Purolator dropping off a package. Turn around time from when I first got in touch with Kobo Support to receiving a unit was 13 days (contacted them on the 13th, received packaging material on the 15th, dropped the broken unit off a Purolator pickup at Staples on the 15th, received the new unit on the 25 th).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Kobo WiFi started acting strangely last week; the screen was toast Sunday. I brought it to Chapters (without a receipt) and 10 minutes later was back in my car with a new reader.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote