Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
UTstudent
UTstudent began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-Reader Survey

I'm a Master's student at UT Knoxville and I'm working on my final project. I have a quick (3-8 minutes) survey, and my group really needs more responses before we can analyze the data, and we're running out of time.

PLEASE help us out but taking just a couple minutes for this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QLH8JDK

Thank you, everyone who participates!
UTstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I like this survey; it's not biased towards a particular device or platform. (Okay, it's got a "what kind of reader/s do you have" question, but at least it has an "other" option.)

I did have a problem with one of the questions -- "Do you prefer to buy books or borrow books from a friend or the library?"

Neither; I read a lot of free ebooks. I don't get them from friends or the library. I opted for "buy," because of the three, that's what I do the most of, but it's not accurate.

And the question has an "other" spot for fill-in-the-blank, but you still have to check one of the boxes or it won't let you go on to the next section.

The roughest spot was the demographics questions on the final page; I suspect some people will take the whole survey and then drop out because they find those questions invasive. Age, race, gender & income level is a lot of info to hand to a stranger for unknown purposes.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Done. I would be interested in seeing your results later.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
way too intrusive of a survey, worse than any previous survey I've seen posted here. It's just my personal preference to not provide the level of detail asked in the latter half of the survey. Almost smacks of a social-engineering level of interrogation.

Other than that the survey was better crafted than most people post here but still is inconsistent or ambiguous as to what the question is asking.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
UTstudent

The demographics are completely anonymous, we don't have any way to track that back to who takes the survey. Thank you for your comments on the other questions. We won't be able to modify this survey and redo it, but I appreciate the feedback.
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
That was a better survey than some I've seen. A little repetitive but a fairly well put together one.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
UTstudent

Thank you! We put a bit of time into making sure it all worked correctly with the skip logic. It's the first time we've designed a survey for real, so I'm glad there are no major problems.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Filled out and submitted. Hope it helps!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
question #25 is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
way too intrusive of a survey, worse than any previous survey I've seen posted here. It's just my personal preference to not provide the level of detail asked in the latter half of the survey. Almost smacks of a social-engineering level of interrogation.

Other than that the survey was better crafted than most people post here but still is inconsistent or ambiguous as to what the question is asking.
yo! grumpy one! they don't know who you are!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I don't really see what relevance that my "race" is regarding ebooks though. I tried to put Homo sapiens in the "other" box, it wouldn't let me continue, so I dumped out.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 04-08-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
UTstudent

It is anonymous, I'm sorry about the problem with the "other" option - from what SurveyMonkey said I understood that "other" would count as an option and not make you respond to something else. I appreciate the comments, feedback, and participation! Still need some responses until we reach our target :-)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought it was a fairly interesting survey -hope my responses help!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Cool.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I found the survey a bit repetitive with the same question being asked in a number of different ways. I personally don't like surveys where I can't see how far I am through it - hitting next each time would of been better if I could see my progress. Some questions I just couldn't see the point of - married? earnings? children? It would of been better to have put the purpose of the survey at the front so people could better judge why certain questions were being asked.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I cannot think of a survey that leaves out demographic information. You can chose not to answer if you like.

Overall I thought it was a well written survey. There are a few places where it would have been nice to have some additional response catagories. Those could have been added if a test sample had been run and the authors had asked for feedback but I don't think that the survey is all that flawed.

I would imagine that the demographic questions will be used the same way demographic questions are used in most studies, to compare across groups. What groups are reading, at what level, using what devices? What groups are borrowing books and what groups are buying books?

Crosstabs and parametric statistics can be fun. I prefer non-parametric statistics and data the lets me develp more sophisticated statistical models but that is personal preference when it comes to data collection.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 04-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote