Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
As winter approaches I need to lose some weight too - well ok, I needed to lose even before winter.

Like JerseyBiker I used to watch TV on the treadmill, now, with my reader, I can change the font size to make reading a viable option so I'm going to try it in the near future. Hopefully I'll still get the enjoyment out of the books and at the same time not completely lose track of time either
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Here is another thought. I unfortunately can't remember where I saw it, but I once saw a chart that listed activities and on average how many calories were burned during those activities. IIRC, Television watching was the worst, burning fewer calories per hour of activity than anything else, including sleeping and reading a book. Therefore, if your ebook reader has caused you to read more and watch less TV, it might be slowly helping you to reduce your wait.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good idea. I'm sure none of the electronic readers taste all that good.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobavey View Post
Good idea. I'm sure none of the electronic readers taste all that good.
Depends how you cook them and what you put on them.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Here is another thought. I unfortunately can't remember where I saw it, but I once saw a chart that listed activities and on average how many calories were burned during those activities. IIRC, Television watching was the worst, burning fewer calories per hour of activity than anything else, including sleeping and reading a book. Therefore, if your ebook reader has caused you to read more and watch less TV, it might be slowly helping you to reduce your wait.

--
Bill
But turning the page on my reader is so much easier than a pBook, it has be less calorie intensive
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
E-Reader Weight Loss Plan: Replace your morning and noon Slim Fast shakes with 30 minutes of reading. Eat your evening meal as normal.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #22
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
E-Reader Weight Loss Plan: Replace your morning and noon Slim Fast shakes with 30 minutes of reading. Eat your evening meal as normal.
Only thought there is that skipping meals actually is usually counter productive in weight loss; particularly breakfast.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Only thought there is that skipping meals actually is usually counter productive in weight loss; particularly breakfast.
Only if you wuss out and binge.

I guarantee that if you eat one 700-900 calorie meal a day and don't snack you will lose weight.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I'm not doing it with my reader, but I'm doing something similar.

I'd really like to replace the 20 inch antique TV in my bedroom so I've set myself the challenge of 1 inch of TV for each 1 pound lost and then kept off for 6 months.

I'd really like to have either a 37 or 42 inch TV that can connect to the internet.

I'm working on it. So far I'm looking at one of those little hand held personal TVs.

Maybe I should consider dieting with the reader. I'm starting to accumulate a list of books I want that I can't get from the library.

Good luck with your Nook diet.

That's a great idea too! We could use a larger TV as well. Hope you get yours and in the size you want!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I haven't figured out a way to jog and eread yet, but no doubt someone will think of something.

Good luck with your programme graycyn - let us know how you get on

I like that people are able to walk and read on treadmills and bike and read on stationary bikes, but that's never been comfortable for me. I like to have music when I am exercising. It just seems to hard for me to exercise AND concentrate on my reading at the same time.

Plus I do some pool exercising and while I know there are waterproof cases for Nook, I'm not feeling like I want to go there yet.

So far holding on. It's hard not eating when hungry, but having something to focus on earning like ebooks helps. I slipped a little on Monday and ate at about maintenance calories, but as long as I'm not overeating, I'm ahead of the game.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I have two low-carb cookbooks on my Kindle, so yes!
I've been thinking about putting a bunch of my favorite healthier recipes (collected from all over, books, internet, appliance manuals, stuff I've created) into ePUB format and putting them on my Nook for easy reference!

Haven't yet bought any e-cookbooks, but there's time yet!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Strangely enough, yes I am.

I'm following the Engine 2 Diet (low-fat vegan), and have the book on my Kindle for easy reference. I track everything I eat at FitDay.com. I can review and enter data on my Kindle, though it's a little cumbersome. Finally, with the lighted case I can walk indoors while I'm reading.

All-around it works well.
That's pretty cool! I track in software on my computer, and probably wouldn't want to bother doing it online, since my Nook is WiFi only and I wouldn't always have access to a hotspot. But that's a good idea for tracking while traveling if I needed to!

I do know someone on the BN.com forums was suggesting a calorie counter app for Nook and I'd be in favor of it. (Well, as long as they attend to making it an even better e-reader first...)

Haven't mastered walking and reading yet... plus, our gym's walking track is around the perimeter of the basketball court. I don't think I'd want to risk my reader in the face of flying basketballs. It pays to be alert while walking there! But that's great that you are creating better health with your reader!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Only if you wuss out and binge.

I guarantee that if you eat one 700-900 calorie meal a day and don't snack you will lose weight.

Very true.

Though I doubt if it would work well for me... I'd go only so far, and then go crazy with hunger. I have the worst appetite. Actually, eating a single meal a day was more or less how I got fat. I'd skip breakfast, skip lunch, always too busy to eat, but when the hunger hit around 5PM or so, I'd eat too much. Everyone's different. I do better with 3-4 small meals a day.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #29
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

If you're serious about losing weight and keeping it off for the rest of your life you need to permanently change the way you eat.

I recommend Reinhard Engles' "The No S Diet". It sounds gimmicky, but the entire "diet" is printed on the front cover and even Engles admits you don't need to buy the book.

If you want more details just visit the website: http://www.nosdiet.com/

If you want the book you can now find it in digital form: Inkmesh search

For reviews of this "diet" check out Amazon.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #30
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm in the middle of reading "Parasite Rex" by Carl Zimmer. Best weight loss book ever, although that wasn't the intention of the author. I'm too scared to even drink water now!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote