Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Book Designer and Images

I have been using BD for some time now, and one thing is just really bugging me.

I just cannot get it to insert images - I do the insert image thing, browse and pick an image file and it inserts it in the file (eventually, I always have to mess about with the percentage settings to make it show). When I convert it to a .lrf file though, it's not there - ever.

With the cover image, it just will not do it at all - nix, nada, nothing.

Do I need to be using particular types of image files? Is this something somebody else has come across?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Do I need to be using particular types of image files? Is this something somebody else has come across?
Never had a problem like this. I've always used jpeg's and use BD in both Vista and XP.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Images work for me (I am running BD under XP Pro).
Have you installed the latest update or are you working with the "base" 4.0 version?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
I have been using BD for some time now, and one thing is just really bugging me.

I just cannot get it to insert images - I do the insert image thing, browse and pick an image file and it inserts it in the file (eventually, I always have to mess about with the percentage settings to make it show). When I convert it to a .lrf file though, it's not there - ever.

With the cover image, it just will not do it at all - nix, nada, nothing.

If you are using Vista check out the Wiki for Book Designer section that talks about intalling BD in Vista- Best practices.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
In BD, I find that it helps to highlight the area where you want the picture to appear, then click on insert/picture.

Before you put your next text into BD, open it and click on "configuration/settings." On the input side, check for "keep pictures." On the output side check that you haven't accidentally ticked the "remove pictures" option.

When you have clicked the "make sony reader file" and the pane has opened, click on the "options" tab. Check that you have not accidentally ckecked the "skip cover page" option, and that the picture size and colour options are as you would like.

I hope this helps.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700

a picture never hurts.

you have the image copied to your clipboard, then you click from clip, then insert right next to it. it will place the image file, at the full size into bd.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all, a few tips for me to try out this evening!

I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post

a picture never hurts.

you have the image copied to your clipboard, then you click from clip, then insert right next to it. it will place the image file, at the full size into bd.
Andy - one thing I notice from your screen shot (very helpful, thanks), is that you have saved the image to the Book Designer directory. I haven't been doing this, is it necessary?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Andy - one thing I notice from your screen shot (very helpful, thanks), is that you have saved the image to the Book Designer directory. I haven't been doing this, is it necessary?
Once the image is inserted it is copied over to the Book Designer directory. So no, the images can be anyplace on your computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once the image is inserted it is copied over to the Book Designer directory. So no, the images can be anyplace on your computer.
Thanks Jon. I had already tried that out with no joy, so thought that that probably wasn't the root cause of the issue. Shame, would have been a nice easy fix!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
I didn't save it anyway. I had the image in my clipboard. right clicked on your avatar and clicked copy image.

are you running BD as an Admin?

Tell us exactly what is happening, you insert the image, do you get an error? or does it just not show up?

make a new book, try to insert an image
view the HTML and post it here

do what I said, right click on an image on the net. click Copy Image, press f5, then press from clip and then insert.

Last edited by Andybaby; 09-16-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I didn't save it anyway. I had the image in my clipboard. right clicked on your avatar and clicked copy image.

are you running BD as an Admin?

Tell us exactly what is happening, you insert the image, do you get an error? or does it just not show up?

make a new book, try to insert an image
view the HTML and post it here

do what I said, right click on an image on the net. click Copy Image, press f5, then press from clip and then insert.
Yes, I'm an Admin user.

I have done exactly what you said - the image appears in the Book Designer page (but not in the preview panel in the Insert Image dialogue). When I make an lrf file though - it's not there.

Similarly, for the cover picture, no matter what I do, nothing ever appears in the preview panel for the book cover.

This is driving me nuts quite frankly.

No idea how to post the html by the way!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, I'm an Admin user.

I have done exactly what you said - the image appears in the Book Designer page (but not in the preview panel in the Insert Image dialogue). When I make an lrf file though - it's not there.

Similarly, for the cover picture, no matter what I do, nothing ever appears in the preview panel for the book cover.

This is driving me nuts quite frankly.

No idea how to post the html by the way!
I found in Windows 7 that if you don't have Book Designer set to run as Admin, it worked better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Hi everyone,

I just installed BD after seeing how well recommended it is for LRF conversions here on MR. I am having the same problem as the OP. I am running Windows 7 x64 at the moment. I have 2 issues:

1) The image never shows up in the preview panels or in the actual editor.
2) Existing images in my HTML ebook (which show up in the BD editor) are stripped out from the final ebook.

I should mention that I tried following the WIki recommendations for Vista installation. Unfortunately I faced two problems:

1) There doesn't seem to be any "DHTM editing control application" for Vista/Windows 7 x64 systems. Any idea what I can do about this?

2) When I try to register the system files below:
regsvr32 /u comct232.ocx

regsvr32 comct232.ocx

I get a "Module failed to load error" since the file doesn't exist in windows\system32. This might be linked to my inability to use images, but I'm not sure how to fix this.

I'll probably try loading up my XP dual boot but I'd really prefer if I could get it to work on Windows 7 as I use it for everything else.

Thanks a lot!

Edit-Just tested it out using My XP installation on the same PC and it works fine. I'd really appreciate it if anyone here can help me figure out how to get this to work on my Windows 7 x64 system.

Last edited by orion2001; 09-27-2009 at 12:35 AM.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Turns out that I had forgotten to register GflAx.dll as specified in the Wiki. Once I did that, image insertion started to work. Looks like you don't need to install comct232.ocx on Windows 7 (at least I haven't had to just yet. It works just fine without it). If you try to run it as Admin, it gives an error about Comctl32.ocx. However, on Windows 7, it doesn't seem like you need to run it as Admin, and it runs just fine as a regular user.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote