Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
taking book sharing to the next level...

Quote:
"As a book caretaker, you become a full man."
just nice!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19547365
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
That's very nice! Thanks for sharing, Paola!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I'm still thinking about an ebook site where people upload books they have bought and read and then they become available for others to access, one user at a time. It sounds within the realm of current copyright law. We wouldn't have to worry about the rain either.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I'm still thinking about an ebook site where people upload books they have bought and read and then they become available for others to access, one user at a time. It sounds within the realm of current copyright law.
Let us know how many times you get sued in the first 30 days.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Let us know how many times you get sued in the first 30 days.
To me it wouldn't matter since I don't recognize any courts legitimacy, but why do you think anyone would sue the administrator of such a site??
Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
To me it wouldn't matter since I don't recognize any courts legitimacy, but why do you think anyone would sue the administrator of such a site??
Quite right, lending out used books to one reader at a time, just like the private lending libraries that used to be in every suburb when I was a kid.

Why would anyone sue you?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Quite right, lending out used books to one reader at a time, just like the private lending libraries that used to be in every suburb when I was a kid.

Why would anyone sue you?
One issue that the plaintiffs might bring up is that I would have no way of knowing if the ebooks that were uploaded to the site were actually obtained within the bounds of current copyright law. (Extreme watermarking might take care of this) But I think this would fall under the safe harbor provisions of the DMCA.

I suppose it's time to go to the library and learn how to make a site
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To me it wouldn't matter since I don't recognize any courts legitimacy
Then you agree, of course, that you shouldn't be afforded any protection by the courts. That if, say, someone were to knife you in an alley and steal your shoes, that the police just not investigate.

Because otherwise, you're a hypocrite of the vilest sort, expecting from society what you refuse to give it in return.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Then you agree, of course, that you shouldn't be afforded any protection by the courts. That if, say, someone were to knife you in an alley and steal your shoes, that the police just not investigate.

Because otherwise, you're a hypocrite of the vilest sort, expecting from society what you refuse to give it in return.
As it turns out, courts aren't the slightest bit put off by people not recognizing their authority. It is about as effective as not recognizing gravity.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

First, just as an aside the cops aren't the courts, they just think they are too often.
As to the rest of your argument, I'll leave it to Giggleton to answer, he's pretty good at shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited by Jozawun; 09-27-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I can honestly say I cannot tell if you are serious about the whole idea. Assuming you are: how do you define 'one user at a time'? Are you putting some sort of time limit (as in magnitude of days or greater) on before you let the next person download?

If not, even if you queue people up so there can only be one download at a time, we are talking the potential for thousands of downloads per a book per a day.

This is quite different than lending a physical copy of a book out.

At this point, I am not clear how your fancy new site could be classified any differently than something like pirate bay - even if the uploader truly is the original owner of said ebook.

I must be missing something. That or you've successfully trolled me.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'll leave it to Giggleton to answer, he's pretty good at shooting fish in a barrel
I don't recognize a barrel's ability to hold water ... for the fish ... to be shot ... in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Jozawun
Fanatic

The fish might see it differently.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
As it turns out, courts aren't the slightest bit put off by people not recognizing their authority. It is about as effective as not recognizing gravity.
You know that, I know that, and the courts know that, but Giggles and the sovergisn citizen loons always seem to learn the hard way.

Doesn't change the fundamental hypocrisy of their position, though. They expect something from other they're not willing to give in return.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
First, just as an aside the cops aren't the courts, they just think they are too often.
As to the rest of your argument, I'll leave it to Giggleton to answer, he's pretty good at shooting fish in a barrel.
Giggles didn't say cops, he said courts.

As for the rest, neither hypocrisy nor dishonest is particularly uncommon. And the only thing he has ever managed to shoot is his own foot.