Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Subscription

I just got a reminder from Apple that my Calibre Companion subscription is going to be automatically renewed in a week. It's just $10 but it really appears that this is abandoned. No responses from the developer and no fixes since late last year.

I figured this would happen. I was hoping that they would set the subscription to $0 once they decided to abandon development.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I just got a reminder from Apple that my Calibre Companion subscription is going to be automatically renewed in a week. It's just $10 but it really appears that this is abandoned. No responses from the developer and no fixes since late last year.

I figured this would happen. I was hoping that they would set the subscription to $0 once they decided to abandon development.
Is there no subscription-free version for Apple?
I am using the old version 5.4.3.3 on my Android devices, which was created before the new takeover.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I am using the old version 5.4.3.3 on my Android devices, which was created before the new takeover.
I'm using the Apple version without a subscription It does have ads. I use it to get books from Calibre and then send them on to ereader apps that don't have solid OPDS. I don't use it as a database as it is not nearly as good as the before takeover.

I went back to the Android version prior to the takeover and it works fine on my tablet with Android 10. Since I only use my tablet for reading, I won't upgrade to any new android versions.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I believe that it reverts to ads. When I was testing the beta, I found the ads rather annoying. I have a WSJ subscription on my iPad, which shows ads in addition to charging a subscription price. I generally will download the latest content, then go into airplane mode to actually read the articles without all the ads. I suspect that I'm going to be doing the same with CC. Obviously, I can't do that when syncing up with Calibre, but a majority of my usage is finding the next book to read.

I have been reading more on my Kobo in the past several weeks, so I use CC to decide what to read next.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
exalaskan
exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.exalaskan is the One.

Device: paperwhite, iphone
Such a bummer. I actually really like the software. For my needs, it really works well. But if it's really dead, I'll probably dump my subscription also.

So unfortunate that people can be so caustic.
exalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalaskan View Post
Such a bummer. I actually really like the software. For my needs, it really works well. But if it's really dead, I'll probably dump my subscription also.

So unfortunate that people can be so caustic.
Yep, it's a bummer. It fits my needs as well. Of course, there was never a formal announcement, they just stopped responding. I would imagine that eventually someone will step into the space, or maybe there will be a open source version.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Were still around. If I can get a clear list of the main issues right now I can hire someone to fix the bugs. Will someone message me that?
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:11 AM   #9
smoke2002
smoke2002 doesn't littersmoke2002 doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Were still around. If I can get a clear list of the main issues right now I can hire someone to fix the bugs. Will someone message me that?
That might just be the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. You have got to be kidding me. None of your team have even posted on here in almost 6 months. No answers to problems people have with your app...not even an acknowledgement of their posts.

I’m so incredibly glad I never subscribed to this BS. My company puts a very high emphasis on customer service...if one of our employees gave the kind of service to our customers that your group has provided your customers, they would be on the unemployment line.

And asking one of us to do your work for you by gathering the list of bugs might just be the height of ignorance....I’m pretty sure no one here is getting paid to work for you. Actually “ridiculous” doesn’t even begin to cover it.

Last edited by smoke2002; 04-09-2021 at 04:15 AM.
smoke2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I would suggest you get out of this app and at least from Google Play Store, don't care about it anymore, release it.
That would be the least problematic for the users and for you.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:05 AM   #11
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Main issues I have issues with are:
- Android 11 + Moon+ Reader = not working. Librera and AlReaderX works. Except that Moon+ is best reader. This is not only my problem. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=335945 . This is big problem. This is solvable by reverting to 'original' CC version.

- Cloud Connection to OneDrive doesn't work. Possible library size issue. Don't think not low device performance issue (this happens on Galaxy Tab Active Pro and Galaxy Z Fold2)

I like CC very much and not against subscription but app should be maintained.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post

I like CC very much and not against subscription but app should be maintained.
This. I find the idea of having an app in the app store and not having someone on staff who does the programming rather shocking. It kind of sounds like your business model is to get the app in a stable state, then milk it with minimal staff. I'm fine subscribing for an app that I actively use and is actively maintained. I'm not so fine subscribing to an app that is not actively maintained.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #13
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
This. I find the idea of having an app in the app store and not having someone on staff who does the programming rather shocking. It kind of sounds like your business model is to get the app in a stable state, then milk it with minimal staff. I'm fine subscribing for an app that I actively use and is actively maintained. I'm not so fine subscribing to an app that is not actively maintained.
Not sure. it depends on what you mean by 'on staff'. It's possible this is offtopic but:
I do have one small side contract to maintain iOS and Android apps for one organization (their monetization model is basically 'let's take ask for payment for services rendered, via app/via website').
As in, they pay fixed amount of money per month and I use no more than fixed amount of hours on their project. Less hours (including zero) are ok but if there is no serious bugs.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I still run the last Multipie version because of all the reported BUGS that persist.

To me, maintained = 'keep working' as the OS advances. The Subscription model is what funds THAT effort (Some older stuff just made you buy the 'improved' version. Nothing wrong with that as long as they are not doing that for BUG Fixes)

Charles & Co, spoiled us with fixes AND improvements for a single purchase. I understand the need to move away from that model (which depended upon continued USER Growth to fund)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
Not sure. it depends on what you mean by 'on staff'. It's possible this is offtopic but:
I do have one small side contract to maintain iOS and Android apps for one organization (their monetization model is basically 'let's take ask for payment for services rendered, via app/via website').
As in, they pay fixed amount of money per month and I use no more than fixed amount of hours on their project. Less hours (including zero) are ok but if there is no serious bugs.
I would consider that on staff. I know a number of programmers who have side gigs. Having someone on staff for me means having someone who doesn't have to learn the code every time you need to fix a bug. My understanding is that the original programmer for CC basically did it as a side gig, rather than as a full time job, i.e. worked nights and weekends. That sort of thing is what I would expect for such an app.

I wouldn't mind paying a one time fee for the app if it's not going to be well maintained. I don't mind paying a new fee for major updates. I do mind paying a subscription for an app that is not actively being maintained or updated.

I stopped my subscription for CC last month, when it was scheduled to be renewed. I did that because there was no response or release in over 4 months.