Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 03:41 AM   #1
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Libra 2 vs Aura H2O

Hello, all!

I've been using an Aura H20 since launch in 2014 (used an original Nook Simple Touch before that) and am considering upgrading to the new Libra 2. I'm primarily interested in the improved, "natural" backlight as my Aura H20 is stuck with blue only (I used to enjoy reading library books on old, mildly yellowed pages), and improved display quality.

Before purchase, however, I had some questions that I hope that the community can help with:
  1. Is there a noticeable improvement in eInk quality? That is, is the crisper text from the slight bump in DPI and the claimed improved contrast visibly noticeable?
  2. What is the consensus regarding holding the device one-handed on the side? FWIW, I mainly hold my Aura H20 with two hands along the bottom, occasionally with a single hand making a "L" shape also along the bottom.
  3. Is the OverDrive feature blocked at the firmware level based on the market in which the device was purchased? I.e., if I buy one in Japan (I think there is no OverDrive there) and switch the language to English will I be able to use it with OverDrive from my local library?

I've watched several review videos but these issues aren't covered, and it's hard to judge display quality of a device in this manner anyhow. The device does seem to be noticeably faster at page turns and book loading than my Aura H20, which is great.

Thank you for your feedback!
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, I don't have a Libra 2, but, the Libra H2O. They are similar enough to give an idea. So...

The screen of the Libra H2O is better than the Aura H2O. It is partly the resolution, but, also it has a newer generation screen. From what I have seen in the shop, and based on the Sage I have (now in my wife's hands) which has the same generation screen, the Libra 2 will be a step up better than the Libra H2O.

Holding the Libra H2O one handed is easy and very comfortable. But, I didn't have an issue holding the Aura H2O one handled. I generally hold it by the wide side with my thumb near the button and my little-finger along the bottom edge. If I am lying on my side in bed, I sometime hold it by the top-right corner to give my other hand a break.

Overdrive is based on the address you have set for your account. If your address is in a country that supports Overdrive, it will be enabled on the device. And except for exact version, Kobo uses the same firmware on the device worldwide. In the past, Kobo has sometimes not released an update for Japan, or released a version just for Japan. But, this is based on the affiliate and can easily be worked around.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 01:06 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
[*]Is there a noticeable improvement in eInk quality? That is, is the crisper text from the slight bump in DPI and the claimed improved contrast visibly noticeable?
I've recently changed from an H2O Edition 2 (better than the H2O) to a Libra 2, and even that is a definite upgrade. The screen crispness/contrast is absolutely delightful, the lighting is very even, the slightly increased display size is noticeable, and the buttons are great.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #4
ready2read
ready2read began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Hello, all!

I've been using an Aura H20 since launch in 2014 (used an original Nook Simple Touch before that) and am considering upgrading to the new Libra 2. I'm primarily interested in the improved, "natural" backlight as my Aura H20 is stuck with blue only (I used to enjoy reading library books on old, mildly yellowed pages), and improved display quality.

Before purchase, however, I had some questions that I hope that the community can help with:
  1. Is there a noticeable improvement in eInk quality? That is, is the crisper text from the slight bump in DPI and the claimed improved contrast visibly noticeable?
  2. What is the consensus regarding holding the device one-handed on the side? FWIW, I mainly hold my Aura H20 with two hands along the bottom, occasionally with a single hand making a "L" shape also along the bottom.
  3. Is the OverDrive feature blocked at the firmware level based on the market in which the device was purchased? I.e., if I buy one in Japan (I think there is no OverDrive there) and switch the language to English will I be able to use it with OverDrive from my local library?
!
If you are comparing the Kobo H20(with the sd card slot) to the Libra 2 the improvement in the screen quality is very noticeable to me in a positive way. I thought that the wedge style would be an issue for me but so far it has not been. I basically hold my Libra 2 in both ways as you described. I have no knowledge about Overdrive in another country. In the US Overdrive is an added benefit for me personally.
ready2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert