Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I'm tossing up whether to get the new Paperwhite and replace my old 2013 model. It's still going, just getting quite slow. Figure after 9 years might treat myself to an upgrade since this one seems like the best update in the Kindle since the Paperwhite first came out. Only question is... do I pay $200AU now, or wait until they have a bigger sale. Right now it's only 17% off. Anyone know of any larger sales they may have for Kindles in Australia anytime in the next couple of months?
Before you buy a new Paperwhite, I suggest you compare the screens of the Paperwhite and the Oasis to see which one is better. I've seen some good photos of the Paperwhite screen and to me, it does not look all that good. The mess Amazon made with the previous PW4 seems to be the same mess with the PW5. The PW3 screen is better then the PW4 screen and I'm thinking also better then the PW5 screen.

I think that if the Oasis screen is better, go for the Oasis.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #32
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The PW5 is so much better than the PS4, it isn't even close. So much faster and battery life is a major improvement, the screen is great, but I didn't see any issues with the PW4 screen except for it be so slow. The little extra screen size makes for easier reading for my old eyes. I don't have the SE version as I don't see the need for the extra storage or the wireless charging. And I never liked the light sensors. And to me I never really cared for the page buttons. I don't use the screen warming and I keep the lighting down to 9 or 10.

Last edited by cvkemp; 01-14-2022 at 08:17 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The PW5 is so much better than the PS4, it isn't even close. So much faster and battery life is a major improvement, the screen is great, but I didn't see any issues with the PW4 screen except for it be so slow. The little extra screen size makes for easier reading for my old eyes. I don't have the SE version as I don't see the need for the extra storage or the wireless charging. And I never liked the light sensors. And to me I never really cared for the page buttons. I don't use the screen warming and I keep the lighting down to 9 or 10.
The PW4 screen is muddy with less clarity. That seems to be the same for the PW5 when seen in some good photos and even close-ups. Whatever Amazon did to make the PW4/5 screen flush with the bezel they did wrong and caused the screens not to be all that good. I can say for sure that the PW3 screen is better then the PW4 screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:58 PM   #34
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Sorry you feel that way but I haven’t noticed any issues with the screen clarity. It is very pleasant to read on.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 AM   #35
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I checked out one on display at a local shop and it looks fantastic! The screen is the farthest thing from muddy and has excellent clarity. Would have bought one but they were out of stock. Might just end up ordering one from Amazon.

Oasis is way out of my price range at $400.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #36
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW4 screen is muddy with less clarity. That seems to be the same for the PW5 when seen in some good photos and even close-ups. Whatever Amazon did to make the PW4/5 screen flush with the bezel they did wrong and caused the screens not to be all that good. I can say for sure that the PW3 screen is better then the PW4 screen.
It depends on the device. My 2 PW5 had differences in sharpness. One was clearly not up to the Libra 2 / Sage sharpness while the other one was almost as good (difference only noticeable when side by side and looking for it)
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote