Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Did she become infected with the Delta variant? They don’t seem to have a good handle on Delta yet. Personally, I’ve never gone back to getting around crowds yet, nor going without a mask in public. It simply isn’t worth the risk to my health.
I don’t know; there aren’t many Delta variant cases here yet, so it might be another one. She’s a waitress in a touristy town, so she’s at high risk.

I personally don’t get the resistance to continued masking in crowded indoor spaces. From my POV, mask = being able to conduct a nearly normal life with greatly reduced risk. I think WHO’s in the right on this and not the CDC.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I personally don’t get the resistance to continued masking in crowded indoor spaces. From my POV, mask = being able to conduct a nearly normal life with greatly reduced risk. I think WHO’s in the right on this and not the CDC.
My resistance comes from the fact that I'm unable to get used to wearing one. I feel terrible discomfort when I'm wearing a mask, like I'm suffocating. It didn't get better with time, even though I wore masks for half a year from November until June. In no way am I able to conduct a nearly normal life while wearing a mask.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My resistance comes from the fact that I'm unable to get used to wearing one. I feel terrible discomfort when I'm wearing a mask, like I'm suffocating. It didn't get better with time, even though I wore masks for half a year from November until June. In no way am I able to conduct a nearly normal life while wearing a mask.
Wearing a KN95 mask made a big difference to me; nothing pressing on my mouth or nostrils.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wearing a KN95 mask made a big difference to me; nothing pressing on my mouth or nostrils.
I doubt it would make a difference for me, as I'm not physically suffocating, it's all in my head. But I might try it if/when masks are made mandatory here again. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #35
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Agreed - I tried virtually every type/model of mask - KN95 was the best to wear, esp. long term [I once spent 20 hours in an ER wearing the same mask - didn't get soggy of clogged] - easiest to breathe in.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #36
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
For me the worst drawback was fogging up my glasses, but I eventually figured out how to breathe in a way that didn’t fog them very much.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #37
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Agreed - I tried virtually every type/model of mask - KN95 was the best to wear, esp. long term [I once spent 20 hours in an ER wearing the same mask - didn't get soggy of clogged] - easiest to breathe in.
I like the KN95 masks too, though I haven't worn it often. Saving it up, perhaps? But I like that it doesn't contact my nose or mouth at all.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #38
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
For me the worst drawback was fogging up my glasses, but I eventually figured out how to breathe in a way that didn’t fog them very much.
Can you describe your breathing technique?

Though I guess the KN95 presses closely on the cheeks, and doesn't fog glasses. The upper edge of it encroaches on my lower eye edge, though. Perhaps that's why I haven't worn it much. Oh, plus, I only got it recently and I'm vaccinated now.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:15 AM   #39
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, exactly. We have our own not so small share of Covid here (I live in the capital with population roughly half a million), but nevertheless most of the restrictions were lifted in June, because life must go on. I'm certainly not going to wear a mask, unless it's mandatory, and I've been going shopping, using public transport, had my hair cut etc. as usual this past year. I refuse to wall myself in and wait for the Apocalypse. Of course I've never gone out just for entertainment, as I dislike such things. But I've been running all my errands as usual and intend to continue to do so.
Aside of entertainment (I went out every weekend before lockdown and I began to do it again short after lockdown), I've done the same. And I live in a not so small city (Madrid), and we had had a very big share of Covid here. But, taking precautions (mandatory and private), I've kept on with my life as well as I've been able.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:17 AM   #40
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I cannot use it, because it's very rough in my skin, I've tried to use it a couple of times and I cannot bear it. Aside of the mind issue, that is, but that's common to every mask.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #41
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I was also never able to find a mask that didn't fog up my glasses. I tried many versions, many ideas to prevent the fogging, and for that entire time of mandatory masks, I never solved the issue.

It was a huge problem for me, and even triggered some mild panic attacks, which I'm not really prone to. It has to do with how bad my vision is, and some childhood episodes of not being able to see well enough to find my family in a group. This caused me to breath too heavily, which increased the fogging problem.

It's very much the same as feeling trapped in a small space. If masks become mandatory in stores again, I will have a very difficult time dealing with it. I expect I will be one of those who allows the mask to fall below their nose.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I was also never able to find a mask that didn't fog up my glasses. I tried many versions, many ideas to prevent the fogging, and for that entire time of mandatory masks, I never solved the issue.

It was a huge problem for me, and even triggered some mild panic attacks, which I'm not really prone to. It has to do with how bad my vision is, and some childhood episodes of not being able to see well enough to find my family in a group. This caused me to breath too heavily, which increased the fogging problem.

It's very much the same as feeling trapped in a small space. If masks become mandatory in stores again, I will have a very difficult time dealing with it. I expect I will be one of those who allows the mask to fall below their nose.
Same, in addition to the imaginary suffocation issue. I cannot see much of anything without glasses, so I often had to wear my mask under my nose to be able to move around.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #43
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

Though I guess the KN95 presses closely on the cheeks, and doesn't fog glasses. The upper edge of it encroaches on my lower eye edge, though. Perhaps that's why I haven't worn it much. Oh, plus, I only got it recently and I'm vaccinated now.
What works for me: breathe in through the nose and exhale ONLY through the mouth, blowing slightly down toward the chin. Breathing in and out through the nose only is sure to fog my glasses, no matter how tightly I mold the wire to my nose and cheek bones.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #44
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

I use this type of mask not the better KN95 masks. Early on I had trouble finding any masks, and these were the only kind I could find. Since I rarely spend more than 30 minutes around strangers these days, I don't have to wear them more than 30 minutes at a time. Admittedly they are not very comfortable and they don't fit as well as I assume the KN95 masks do. I also have the cloth versions of these.

With these older style masks, I learned to take deeper breaths through my nose then slowly exhale straight out through my mouth. By slowly exhale I mean count "one-onethousand, two-onethousand, three-onethousand" as you exhale. If done correctly you won't hyperventilate. I learned this technique for when I get out of breath due to overexertion. It also works well if you get excited and your heart rate elevates. Rather than panting and breathing hard, it is better to use this technique as you will recover faster and more safely.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #45
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

The attached map of the clusters of the most unvaccinated people in the US (based on CDC data) well illustrates why I still wear a mask in public. I live right between the two big circles in Texas, in the Dallas / Fort Worth metro. I can almost throw a rock and have it land in either of those circles.

I grew up in rural Texas, so I know those people well enough to know if they haven't gotten vaccinated by now, they likely never will. It is like a different world. I'm glad I grew up and went off to college and grad school. I feel sorry for them, but I also know they simply lack the desire to listen to any reasoning. They are too set in their ways, and it is probably going to bite them in the backside before this pandemic ends. Needless to say though, I won't be going into those areas for along, long time to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COVID-19-unvaccinated-regions.jpg
Views:	2427
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	188091  

Last edited by OtinG; 07-08-2021 at 12:39 PM.