Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #61
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
overlay

@NiLuJe, I am just playing with the new -o switch, is this the expected behaviour?

Code:
[root@kindle us]# fbink -c -B gray2 .  #only to create a background
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 600x800, 4bpp @ rotation: 0 (Upright, 0°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 16x16 (IBM base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 37 cols, Page size: 50 rows
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "eink_fb", length of fb mem: 483328 bytes & line length: 300 bytes
[FBInk] Enabled Legacy einkfb Kindle quirks
[FBInk] Kernel's HZ value appears to be 100
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 -> #FFFFFF for the foreground and #222222 -> #DDDDDD for the background
Printing string '.' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: false, inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: false, left padded: false, clear screen: true, font: 0, font scaling: x0)
[root@kindle us]# fbink  -mM -S 20 -o O
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 160x160 (IBM base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 3 cols, Page size: 5 rows
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "eink_fb", length of fb mem: 483328 bytes & line length: 300 bytes
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 -> #FFFFFF for the foreground and #FFFFFF -> #000000 for the background
Printing string 'O' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: true, inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: true, left padded: false, clear screen: false, font: 0, font scaling: x20)
I was expecting the "O" to be rendered in a true shade of gray, it seems to also have some vertical line dithering:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904124431.png
Views:	318
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	166059

Code:
[root@kindle us]# fbink -c -B gray2 . #only to create a background
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 -> #FFFFFF for the foreground and #222222 -> #DDDDDD for the background
Printing string '.' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: false, inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: false, left padded: false, clear screen: true, font: 0, font scaling: x0)
[root@kindle us]# fbink -F block -o -S 4  ABCDEFG
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 128x128 (BLOCK base glyph size: 32x32)
[FBInk] Line length: 4 cols, Page size: 6 rows
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 -> #FFFFFF for the foreground and #FFFFFF -> #000000 for the background
Printing string 'ABCDEFG' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: true, inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: false, left padded: false, clear screen: false, font: 7, font scaling: x4)
I was hoping the padding would stay in the background color:

Name:	20180904124915.png
Views:	324
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	166060

[EDIT] Also, would be nice to be able to just clear the screen fbink -c or create a background fbink -c -B gray2 and not have to specify a string.

Last edited by PoP; 09-04-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: EDIT
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I may have fucked it up on 4bpp devices ^^.

EDIT: Yep, that's a 4bpp-specific issue. I'll see what I can do .

EDIT²: It's still honoring fg/bg pen color for anything not glyphs, that's what the not terribly clear mention in the help message meant. i.e., fbink -F block -o -S 4 ABCDEFG -B gray2 does what you wanted .

EDIT³: That sounds sensible, but it's a tiny bit annoying to actually make happen ;p. (And it'd have to be a different flag than -c). (FWIW, for a blank line/page, ' ' (i.e., a single space) works, while '' will get you shouted at )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This should fix it .
Old 09-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #64
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I may have fucked it up on 4bpp devices ^^.

EDIT: Yep, that's a 4bpp-specific issue. I'll see what I can do .
Thanks, not really a pressing issue.

EDIT²: It's still honoring fg/bg pen color for anything not glyphs, that's what the not terribly clear mention in the help message meant. i.e., fbink -F block -o -S 4 ABCDEFG -B gray2 does what you wanted .
OK Thanks for the way out. But I don't understand how the additional -B gray2 makes it "not glyph"

EDIT³: That sounds sensible, but it's a tiny bit annoying to actually make happen ;p. (And it'd have to be a different flag than -c).

Bah, just forget it. 'space' is just fine

Last edited by PoP; 09-04-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: ' '
Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #65
PoP

Quote:
Ahhh, satisfaction! You code faster than I can reply
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Which current devices have other than 4bpp?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: The extra padding is just that, extra padding, it's another bit of code than the font rendering one, so it's simply using the set fg/bg pen colors (i.e., it's not honoring is_overlay at all).

That's mostly a byproduct of the fact that I need is_overlay enabled during font rendering for progress bar, but not during the rendering of the progress bar themselves (which happens to be using the same rectangle filling function as the padding ).
Old 09-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@j.p.s: The K4 is the first 8bpp devices, everything since also is.

Meaning the only 4bpp devices are the K2, K3, DX & DXG.

The K1 might have been using something even nastier, but I've never had one .
Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: Yeah, now that I have a K3 plugged in, indeed, can't slice on the K3 busybox version, but I seem to remember it working on newer models.

Which is likely, given that it's not a bb limitation, as it works in my own bb build (which you could always resort to, I guess ;p. Which would logically lead to the next step of simply using ZSH ;p).

Code:
[root@kindle root]# BLAH="ABCD"
[root@kindle root]# echo ${BLAH:1:1}
-sh: syntax error: Bad substitution
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox ash
[root@kindle root]# BLAH="ABCD"
[root@kindle root]# echo ${BLAH:1:1}
B
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #70
PoP

Sure, since I already rely on usbnet for ssh, might as well rely on usbnet's bb:

Code:
[root@kindle root]# PATH=/mnt/us/usbnet/bin:$PATH

[root@kindle root]# busybox
BusyBox v1.29.2 (2018-08-22 03:16:32 CEST) multi-call binary.
BusyBox is copyrighted by many authors between 1998-2015.
Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for detailed
copyright notices.

Usage: busybox [function [arguments]...]
   or: busybox --list
   or: function [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        [, [[, ash, bash, bb, bbsh, bunzip2, cttyhack, ftpd, httpd, inetd,
        login, mkdir, sh, start-stop-daemon, telnetd
[root@kindle root]#
I had wrongly assumed that installing usbnet did superseeded the builtin bb.

I'll rewrite 'box' (...in time) with ${BLAH:1:1}. thanks.

[EDIT] Ahh, I see, alternately don't touch PATH, just invoke busybox ash ./box 0 0 4 string -c

Last edited by PoP; 09-04-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: Hmm, on my end, USBNet's busybox isn't in my $PATH

Code:
┌─(ROOT@kindle:pts/0)───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(0.29:37%:15:27:100%:#)── which busybox                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ──(Sun, Sep 25)─┘
/bin/busybox
And that's indeed the default BB .

(Don't mind my poor K3 clock stuck on a random 2016 day )

(And, yeah, that's on purpose NOT to screw with the system's reliance on its own potentially-mystically-patched BB version ).

----

Thinking back about the overlay/background thing, you're right: with overlay enabled, it explicitly states "no bg pixels are drawn", and those padding rectangles are definitely background, so, yeah, they shouldn't be drawn at all . I'll fix that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #72
PoP

Quote:

Thinking back about the overlay/background thing, you're right: with overlay enabled, it explicitly states "no bg pixels are drawn", and those padding rectangles are definitely background, so, yeah, they shouldn't be drawn at all . I'll fix that.
ACK.

While you are at it an other mode of overly I was thinking about could be to draw the foreground pixels in the pen color (instead of background inverse) and leave the background pixels unchanged. Something like writing with transparent text (no political intent, solely to illustrate the effect):
Spoiler:

...Just an idea.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, just skip background without tweaking pen color, that should be easy .
Old 09-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.6.1 .

With the aforementioned fixes to overlay/progressbars on 4bpp Kindles, as well as the backgroundless mode that just came up .
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #75
PoP

'single space'

Quote:
...FWIW, for a blank line/page, ' ' (i.e., a single space) works, while '' will get you shouted at )
Sorry to bug you again with this.

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us
[root@kindle us]# eips -p
[root@kindle us]# ./screenshot

Name:	20180905194538.png
Views:	325
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	166082
[root@kindle us]# fbink -c ' '
Printing string ' ' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: false, backgroundless: false, inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: false, left padded: false, clear screen: true, font: 0, font scaling: x0)
[root@kindle us]# ./screenshot
[root@kindle us]#

Name:	20180905194626.png
Views:	301
Size:	394 Bytes
ID:	166083

Though everything appears to work fine (and the fb has obviously been cleared), the screen still shows the first pattern screenshot my K3!

Is there some kind of a "write update" missing?

Tags
eips, fbink