Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Specific use case...

Hi all,

I would like to do something particular with Calibre and I'd like some help from gurus to set it up. Actually it's more a network/router/vnc type question, but hopefully we have some boffins who have done this type of thing before.

I'm going to be setting up a media server at home for movies, music and ebooks. For the ebooks component I was going to set up Calibre and run it as a content server.

For the PCs/laptops in the home I was going to use VNC to remote to the media server when adding books to the library or using the Calibre interface as I understand using multiple Calibres running on a single library has problems.

Outside of the house, or on Kindle or mobile, I would access content via the content server as that should be more of a serve only unless I can be bothered VNCing again.

My problem, I'm not sure how I'd set up my router to allow access to the Calibre server. Which IP address would I use?

Sorry - it really ends up not being a Calibre question at all - but I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer or two.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to do something particular with Calibre and I'd like some help from gurus to set it up. Actually it's more a network/router/vnc type question, but hopefully we have some boffins who have done this type of thing before.

I'm going to be setting up a media server at home for movies, music and ebooks. For the ebooks component I was going to set up Calibre and run it as a content server.

For the PCs/laptops in the home I was going to use VNC to remote to the media server when adding books to the library or using the Calibre interface as I understand using multiple Calibres running on a single library has problems.

Outside of the house, or on Kindle or mobile, I would access content via the content server as that should be more of a serve only unless I can be bothered VNCing again.

My problem, I'm not sure how I'd set up my router to allow access to the Calibre server. Which IP address would I use?

Sorry - it really ends up not being a Calibre question at all - but I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer or two.
Router setting: two 1/2 things.
1/2) Strong password your VNC access
1) reserve a internal IP or assign a Static IP to you host.
2) Port forward the port you assign to the Calibre Server.
2.5) Port forward port 5800(or the port you set) for VNC access

all this Assumes your router has a Static IP 0r a service like DynDns.org on the WAN side so you can get at it from anywhere.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK I have a dyndns service working and I've configured my router to keep that up-to-date so that seems to be all good.

However, I'm confused now as to how to complete the setup.

I'm not sure how to port forward as such as my router admin page has no option for port forwarding.

I do have an option that I can share an application or game - this sounds promising. I set up something for calibre that maps 8001 to 8080 (the port my calibre is listening on) and saved it. Then I assigned the calibre application setup to the actual device on the network that is running the calibre content server.

However, when I try to access via http://hostname:8001 I get a connection error.

I've never been good at this network stuff. Anyone point me to my obvious problem?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I asssume that 'hostname' is the dyndns name? If so are you trying to access it from inside your own network - not all routers support routing to the external address and bouncing that back to an internal one.

It is also possible that you are using the wrong facility at the router level. Some servers may talk about virtual servers instead? Mentioning what make/model of router you are using might allow someone to give more direct advice?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Thomson TG782T is the gateway.

I'm accessing via my mobile outside of the local network.
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm accessing via my mobile outside of the local network.
If you have a password on your Calibre content server, turn it off.

Is the server working on the machine it's running on? (Use "Test Server" in the config.)

Is it working from a computer inside your LAN? (Use http://lan.ip.of.server:8080)

If those work, the problem is in the port forwarding.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote