Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #226
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some more good French series-
Agathe Koltes (worthwhile just for Vannes scenery)
Crimson Rivers
Vanished by the Lake (nice Broadchurch-style mystery, small town, everyone hiding something)
Witnesses

2 good Scottish series, Crime and In Plain Sight

Hide and Seek, a bleak Russian mystery

And The Half Brother, a fairly interesting Norwegian drama.

I'm definitely getting my money's worth from the 99 cent PBS and Britbox offers.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:46 PM   #227
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I started watching Archive 81 on Netflix last night and I'm really loving it. Very creepy.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:44 AM   #228
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Started watching 'Hunters' last night. A very violent and graphic series about a bunch of Jewish Nazi Hunters in 1970s USA. Opening episode looked promising so will stick with it unless/until it becomes silly!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #229
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hugely enjoying Baptiste - Season 2 - which has an improbable terrorist plot line that is somehow compelling nonetheless, and Fiona Shaw delivers a stunning performance
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #230
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Hugely enjoying Baptiste - Season 2 - which has an improbable terrorist plot line that is somehow compelling nonetheless, and Fiona Shaw delivers a stunning performance
I do love a good Fiona Shaw!

My wife is learning Korean (her FIFTH language ), so we are watching some Korean TV to help her listening skills. Trying out The Silent Sea, a sci-fi drama from last fall right now.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #231
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have 3 more to recommend:

Astrid (French) - a fragile autistic woman has found her niche in the quiet and orderly domain of criminal archives, where she notices obscure connections between unrelated cases. A disorganized, impulsive detective starts to realize her potential and the two opposites team up (very awkwardly) to solve some interesting cases.

Nordic Murders has an interesting setting - Usedom Island on the German-Polish border. Unfortunately one of the main characters leaves after S1, upsetting the complex personal dynamics.

Professor T (Belgian) - another OCD lead, starts out as dramedy but evolves into a progressively darker psychological thriller.

We also watched S7 of Bosch - OK but IMO the Billets and Irving storylines were pointless filler.

And Wheel of Time - I never thought the boatload of complex characters and interactions would translate to TV but I did actually enjoy it (maybe because my expectations were so low).

Now we've finally started watching Bron Broen and enjoying so far.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #232
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
And Wheel of Time - I never thought the boatload of complex characters and interactions would translate to TV but I did actually enjoy it (maybe because my expectations were so low).
My sister and I loved Wheel of Time, though neither of us read the books. I've put them on my To Be Read list, though at my current reading pace it'll be a while.

I'm currently watching the third season of Law & Order: SVU. I needed something familiar.

I've got some series on my watch list, but I'm saving them for my vacation next week. I'm planning to watch Yellowjackets, my sister will be visiting on Saturday and we're planning to finish Foundation. Other than that I'll see what I'm in the mood for.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #233
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Finished Baptiste - Season 2 -- didn't see that ending coming at all. Fiona Shaw was brilliant.

Now on to Bancroft - a police procedural with a twisted evil cop - Sarah Parish's character is truly frightening.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #234
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Finished S1 of Bron Broen - didn't realize that S2-S4 aren't on Prime so will have to find them elsewhere.

Watched Reacher on Prime - fun show, I'd compare to Banshee. I could never understand Lee Child agreeing to the casting of a shrimp like Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, so I was glad to see it redone for TV with a believable lead.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #235
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Last night I watched the three part (first three episodes?) of the documentary series The Way Down. Not as weird as the Lularoe documentary series or as whacky as the Class Action Park documentary, but it was still over the top (the hair!).

Tonight I'm going to start Yellowjackets.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:52 AM   #236
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I watched the first four episodes of Yellowjackets yesterday. Wow, great series! I'll probably watch the other six episodes today.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:56 AM   #237
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Just watched all of 'Reacher' on Amazon. An eight part series that covers the first Reacher book 'Killing Floor'. Pretty well done, room to fit in the minor incidents that make the book work, and flesh out the character. Alan Richter as Reacher is a huge chap with muscles in places I don't have places; much beter than the tiny Tom Cruise in the two Reacher films he made! A good plot, albeit a well used one, and decent acting across the board. Extremely violent and graphic, so avoid this if you are easily upset or nauseated by such antics!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #238
ianthe06
ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I am looking forward very much to watching the new season of Disenchantment on Netflix. A very refreshing take on fairy tales. Enjoyed the first two seasons very much.

Also on my list is the third season of After Life (on Netflix as well) - Ricky Gervais is not for everyone but if you like him, you will probably enjoy the series.

The Expanse is another series I can recommend. I have just finished the first 3 seasons. It is a very complex science fiction story, involving lots of politics, astronomy and physics. Now I wait for my library to purchase seasons 4-6
ianthe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #239
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I finished Yellowjackets last night. The worst thing is now I have to wait for season 2.

I'm not sure what I want to watch tonight. Lately I've gotten into documentaries which have a somewhat ridiculous or incredulous aspect. Such as LulaRich, Class Action Park, the Fyre doc on Netflix or The Way Down. I'm searching for more documentaries like that. I've got a documentary about the Heaven's Gate cult I want to watch. I find I'm a bit burned out on True Crime documentaries, which is normally my go-to when I don't know what to watch.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #240
ianthe06
ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I just remembered a mini-series that I have watched twice during the last year: Chernobyl, an HBO series about the 1986 nuclear accident at the power plant in Chernobyl, Ukraine.
It is fictional but very close to real events. The atmosphere made me shiver more than once. Unreserved recommendation!
ianthe06 is offline   Reply With Quote