Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Search for specific word in Kobo Reader

A few days ago I was reading a book with very long chapters on my Libra 2.
I decided to continue reading the book on my Forma. As the chapters were large I decided to search for a characteristic word.
But that did not work at all.
I then tried the same procedure on my Oasis and the Calibre Reader with the same book. Here it worked as expected.
Is it not possible to search for a specific word/phrase in a Kobo Reader?

The books on my Kobo reader are epubs converted to Kepub using the KoboTouchExtended plugin.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I decided to continue reading the book on my Forma. As the chapters were large I decided to search for a characteristic word.
I then tried the same procedure on my Oasis and the Calibre Reader with the same book. Here it worked as expected.

The books on my Kobo reader are epubs converted to Kepub using the KoboTouchExtended plugin.
It works inside a book and only in that book. There's no option to search for a word across the whole library, like on the Oasis.

Searching for a word or a phrase within a book works for me.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-14-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:07 AM   #3
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It works inside a book and only in that book. There's no option to search for a word across the whole library, like on the Oasis.

Searching for a word or a phrase within a book works for me.
Thank you for your reply. It made me try some more.

I am on the first page in the book.
I then do this:
Tap on the middle af the page.
Tap the search icon.
Write the word I wish to find
Select Current Read

The phrase I am looking for is from the footbridge
I am 100 % sure that it is there. If I change the search to from the foot there is a match.
Searching only for footbridge gives no match. If I select to search in the dictionary I get a correct description of a footbridge.
The book is "Dune Messiah" if I search for Muad there are a ziilion matches.

If I search for the very special word Godbuk that is located where I wish to go to. There are no matches.

Last edited by svenlind; 01-14-2022 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. It made me try some more.

I am on the first page in the book.
I then do this:
Tap on the middle af the page.
Tap the search icon.
Write the word I wish to find
Select Current Read

The phrase I am looking for is from the footbridge
I am 100 % sure that it is there. If I change the search to from the foot there is a match.
Searching only for footbridge gives no match. If I select to search in the dictionary I get a correct description of a footbridge.
The book is "Dune Messiah" if I search for Muad there is a ziilion matches.

If I search for the very special word Godbuk that is located where I wish to go to. There are no matches.
That's strange. I just tried and had matches for words such as "innocent-faced" and "riverboats", and a phrase containing the word "onlookers". So I have no idea what's going on with your Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Oddly when I look at a copy of Dune Messiah that I just borrowed from the public library, I find two instances of footbridge. The first in in the phrase "gentle arc of a footbridge constructed of crystal-stabilized gold" while the second is in the phrase "he crossed over on the high footbridge from his Keep". I could not find the phrase "from the footbridge".

There could be differences in the editions that might account for this.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:15 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A possible problem is that it has to be an exact match. If there are non-display characters within the word, such as a soft hyphen, the search won't match. Or if for some reason, the word is broken by tags, it won't work. If for some reason the book had:

Quote:
<span>foot</span>bridge
The search would not find the word "footbridge". And while I would be surprised to see the above code, though only a little, I have seen something like:

Code:
<i>this</i> <i>is</i> <i>in</i> <i>italics</i>
That will look fine, but, searching for "this is in" will not find the above.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:55 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly when I look at a copy of Dune Messiah that I just borrowed from the public library, I find two instances of footbridge. The first in in the phrase "gentle arc of a footbridge constructed of crystal-stabilized gold" while the second is in the phrase "he crossed over on the high footbridge from his Keep". I could not find the phrase "from the footbridge".

There could be differences in the editions that might account for this.
I get exactly the same results if I do the search for footbridge in my Oasis or the Calibre reader.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:03 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Have a look at the code in the eBook and see what may be going on. You will need to look at the KePub.

Another thing to try is loading the ePub and not converting to KePub and try searching.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:29 AM   #9
svenlind
Fanatic

Now a really strange thing. If I put the book on my elderly Kobo Glo that I haven't used for a very long time all searches are correct. Also the search for the strange word Godbuk

The searches do not work on Libra 2 or my Forma.
Firmware versions:
Kobo GLO and Libra 2: 4.30.18838
Kobo Forma: 4.28.18220
Old 01-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Search algorithms in e-readers should really be improved. It might might be hard to detect spans and other formatting, but it should be relatively easy to handle "specials" like Unicode zwj, zwnj, nbsp, shy, other kinds of whitespace and ligatures when searching. Sigh.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #11
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Now a really strange thing. If I put the book on my elderly Kobo Glo that I haven't used for a very long time all searches are correct. Also the search for the strange word Godbuk

The searches do not work on Libra 2 or my Forma.
Firmware versions:
Kobo GLO and Libra 2: 4.30.18838
Kobo Forma: 4.28.18220
Well, I then deleted the file on my Libra 2 and sideloaded it once more from Calibre. Now everything works. Just one of those things.
To alle who replied
Old 01-16-2022, 06:34 AM   #12
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A possible problem is that it has to be an exact match. If there are non-display characters within the word, such as a soft hyphen, the search won't match. Or if for some reason, the word is broken by tags, it won't work. If for some reason the book had:

The search would not find the word "footbridge". And while I would be surprised to see the above code, though only a little, I have seen something like:

Code:
<i>this</i> <i>is</i> <i>in</i> <i>italics</i>
That will look fine, but, searching for "this is in" will not find the above.
Thank you for that explanation. It was not the case here. But I think it explains why I quite often get a fun result when I press a word to search for in the dictionary. It results in something like this

Your search for word did not give any results. The nearest match is word.

And then follows the description.