Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
skittleys
skittleys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo - I/O error

I recently updated from a 1.0 version of calibre to a 2.0 version. I did this because I got a new Kobo. I cannot connect the Kobo to calibre. I get the following error:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.81.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1802, in books
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 231, in resetcursor
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error
And Windows says the USB device could not be recognized.

It seems to be working on other computers, just not this one. I am running Windows 8.1.

Windows can access the Kobo when I first plug it in, but after Calibre gives this error, it can no longer read it.

Any help appreciated!
skittleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Can you write ANY file to the Kobo using the OS (on the problem computer)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried all of the USB ports on that computer and different USB cables? I've not read of any issue with Windows 8.1 and Kobo devices.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
skittleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you write ANY file to the Kobo using the OS (on the problem computer)?
When I first plug the Kobo in, as long as Calibre is not open, yes through Windows Explorer. As soon as I get that error in Calibre, it disappears from Windows Explorer.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
skittleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried all of the USB ports on that computer and different USB cables? I've not read of any issue with Windows 8.1 and Kobo devices.
Yes, I've tried both other ports and other cords. Same problem.
Advert
Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittleys View Post
When I first plug the Kobo in, as long as Calibre is not open, yes through Windows Explorer. As soon as I get that error in Calibre, it disappears from Windows Explorer.
That means the device is killing the Windows driver.

I think that you may need to reinitilize the device.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
psy9o
psy9o began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Hello, I have a Kobo aura one and am having the same problem, I can factory reset my device and make it go away but as soon as the error in calibre occurs again the device can't connect anymore. Is there any way to prevent this error of occurring?

Quote:

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1707, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in get_database_version
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 990, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
psy9o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy9o View Post
Hello, I have a Kobo aura one and am having the same problem, I can factory reset my device and make it go away but as soon as the error in calibre occurs again the device can't connect anymore. Is there any way to prevent this error of occurring?
Are you properly ejecting the KA1 from the computer?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Quote:

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in get_database_version
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 990, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
It's not exactly the same error as the OP as it is happening in a different line of code. This is happening when attempting to open the database, the earlier one is when using the database to get the books. At that point, the database has been successfully opened and some data has been retrieved from it. In your case, it cannot even open the database.

The most likely reason is that the database is corrupted. Why, I don't know. The simplest reason is because you didn't safely eject the device. There are probably other reasons, but I've never tracked them down.

But, I'm not sure what you mean by "can't connect anymore". If you mean you get that error and keep getting that error until you do a factory reset, then that makes senses. If the database is corrupt, until you do something to fix it, then you will continue to see the error. A factory reset will fix it. But, it should be overkill. Signing out of the Kobo account on the device should be enough. This will generate a new database during the setup. Or, if you backup the database you can restore it.

Or, do you mean something else? Is it not connecting to Windows at all?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Quote:

If you use Kobo Utilities, you can have your database backed up when you connect your Kobo to Calibre and then if you do have a corrupt database, you can just replace it with the last good database.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having the exact same issue with my Kobo One. Only got it this morning. (Windows 10 Creators update)
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having the exact same issue with my Kobo One. Only got it this morning. (Windows 10 Creators update)
Which "exact same issue"? There are two different errors discussed here. The first one is a corrupt database. The second error could be a corrupt database, or it could be a connectivity error with the PC.

Could you post the detailed message from the error and check the Windows is seeing the device properly.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
I'm getting a similar error on my Kobo Glo HD. I've been using a smaller chromebook running linux and was on a different device (also a chromebook running linux) transferring some new books and got this error:

calibre, version 3.37.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 540, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 447, in sync_booklists
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 443, in __rows_needing_imageid
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor

I did the pinhole reset and it didn't seem to help, nor did switching up USB drives. I synced the same books to my backup reader, a paperwhite 3, just to see what would happen, and no problems. I plan on merging the 2 calibre libraries onto one flash drive and just taking that from device to device to make things easier in the future so if I do have to totally factory reset the kobo after doing that to fix the error, I can, but I did want to see if I get this error on the chromebook I was using up until recently as well.

But if anyone can help me troubleshoot, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That error is happening when the KoboTouchExtended driver is checking some data in the database on the device. It can mean a corrupt database on the device, but, I would expect if that was the case, for the error to happen earlier. But, does the device get disconnected when this happens?

If it is a corrupt database on the device, the fix is to sign-out of the Kobo account and then back in. This will recreate the database and reload the books on the device, but you will lose the reading status for any sideloaded books. A factory reset will wipe the device and you will need to reload the books.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That error is happening when the KoboTouchExtended driver is checking some data in the database on the device. It can mean a corrupt database on the device, but, I would expect if that was the case, for the error to happen earlier. But, does the device get disconnected when this happens?

If it is a corrupt database on the device, the fix is to sign-out of the Kobo account and then back in. This will recreate the database and reload the books on the device, but you will lose the reading status for any sideloaded books. A factory reset will wipe the device and you will need to reload the books.
I have had it disconnect with this error once, but I think it was a bad mini-USB cable, switching to one that fit more snugly worked better. I will sign in and out of my kobo account, that should fix it, thank you!

Edit: it fixed it

Last edited by restinginlove; 01-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote