Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #61
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxam View Post
The CSR told me that they've since released a new update which will definitely fix my issue and sent me an email linking to a Goodereads article talking about the merits of 4.1.7729
Linking to an article on goodereader. Can Kobo CS possibly get any worse?*

*Is it possible to do any worse than fail to read/listen to what a customer is telling you and highlight a fix they've already tried, which doesn't actually appear to fix the problem anyway?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #62
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Linking to an article on goodereader. Can Kobo CS possibly get any worse?*

*Is it possible to do any worse than fail to read/listen to what a customer is telling you and highlight a fix they've already tried, which doesn't actually appear to fix the problem anyway?
But that is standard CS, by my experience (and it always irks me)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #63
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
But that is standard CS, by my experience (and it always irks me)
The one thing that is worse is if the CS-rep DOES listen to you telling him "I have already reboot, reset, formatted, whatever", and then says:

"Very good. It didn't resolve the problem?"
- "No, it didn't." (If it did, I wouldn't be calling... you feel this one coming...)
"Try it again. If it still fails, call again."

RAAAAARRGGGHHH.....

As said, I never had any issues except for the reading stats not updating; and that is working now, as far as I can tell, after "refinishing" the last two books.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #64
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same here with Aura one till now. But other CS...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #65
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm afraid the truth is still out there.

CS answer when I did inform them I was on 4.1.7729:
"Thank you for providing us with the firmware you are using. We will further investigate the issue." No further comment on whether the "upcoming fix" was this or something else.

Whatever. This is getting on my last nerve.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #66
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The one thing that is worse is if the CS-rep DOES listen to you telling him "I have already reboot, reset, formatted, whatever", and then says:

"Very good. It didn't resolve the problem?"
- "No, it didn't." (If it did, I wouldn't be calling... you feel this one coming...)
"Try it again. If it still fails, call again."

RAAAAARRGGGHHH.....
Perhaps you have been talking to the same DODO as I did a few weeks ago. I gave up on her...

Is it nowadays too difficult to employ staff that can give normal answers?
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #67
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
For those who keep having the battery drain issue: Based on the release notes from the Goodereader page, it seems to be tied to syncing (automatically even when "asleep"). Have you tried manually disabling WiFi and only enable it for the duration of a manual sync?

I know it's less convenient, but I have always being doing that with all my readers to maximise battery life, and thus also with the KA1, and at least that is one issue I haven't had, even with the previous firmware...

And in terms of unhelpful customer support: I know it's frustrating on your end, but on the other side the rep cannot magically come up with a solution or fix the firmware, that's the job of the engineer(s), who conveniently don't interface with you... and while the rep can forward the issue, they cannot enforce any kind of urgency.

Sometimes all the rep can do is try to be polite and suggest a generic solution, even if he/she knows it won't do much :/
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #68
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
For those who keep having the battery drain issue: Based on the release notes from the Goodereader page, it seems to be tied to syncing (automatically even when "asleep"). Have you tried manually disabling WiFi and only enable it for the duration of a manual sync?
Aaaahhhhh good old Goodereader. Once again they have shamelessly copied and pasted from here (Mobileread) with no attribution. The release notes were what Davidfor posted based on what he'd seen beta testing. While they are accurate, they are NOT release notes from Kobo. And (especially in the case of Goodereader) the claim that "thousands" of users are having a problem is made up. I don't know if it's hundreds having problems or 10's of thousands, but there is little chance that he has any better idea of the numbers than I do so even if thousands is correct he's still making it up.

The challenge is that while some people are having regular massive drain, there are lots of people who aren't. I saw it once that I know was related to attempted sync, but since it wasn't a recurring issue for me I didn't bother adding the line to turn off the autosync in the config file (when it wasn't staying off) and I have not had drain issues. If this was an issue that everyone was having I'm sure they'd have tracked it down and fixed by now, but when it doesn't happen to everyone and not even completely consistently for those with the problem, that's a nightmare to figure out. My guess is at least some degree of hardware involvement.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #69
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Aaaahhhhh good old Goodereader. Once again they have shamelessly copied and pasted from here (Mobileread) with no attribution. The release notes were what Davidfor posted based on what he'd seen beta testing. While they are accurate, they are NOT release notes from Kobo. And (especially in the case of Goodereader) the claim that "thousands" of users are having a problem is made up. I don't know if it's hundreds having problems or 10's of thousands, but there is little chance that he has any better idea of the numbers than I do so even if thousands is correct he's still making it up.

The challenge is that while some people are having regular massive drain, there are lots of people who aren't. I saw it once that I know was related to attempted sync, but since it wasn't a recurring issue for me I didn't bother adding the line to turn off the autosync in the config file (when it wasn't staying off) and I have not had drain issues. If this was an issue that everyone was having I'm sure they'd have tracked it down and fixed by now, but when it doesn't happen to everyone and not even completely consistently for those with the problem, that's a nightmare to figure out. My guess is at least some degree of hardware involvement.
my guess is that some of the KA1 just have crap batteries.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Aaaahhhhh good old Goodereader. Once again they have shamelessly copied and pasted from here (Mobileread) with no attribution. The release notes were what Davidfor posted based on what he'd seen beta testing. While they are accurate, they are NOT release notes from Kobo.
I don't know whether I should take the wholesale quoting without attribution as a complement or insult. But, I'm feeling a little dirty. I think I'm going to have an extra shower when I get home tonight.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #71
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
my guess is that some of the KA1 just have crap batteries.
Better than over heating battery.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #72
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know whether I should take the wholesale quoting without attribution as a complement or insult. But, I'm feeling a little dirty. I think I'm going to have an extra shower when I get home tonight.

Gets out scrubbing brush
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #73
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Better than over heating battery.

sorry neither are acceptable imho, especially considering how much the KA1 costs.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Gets out scrubbing brush
How am I suppose to concentrate for the rest of the day?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #75
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
sorry neither are acceptable imho, especially considering how much the KA1 costs.

best wishes koboy
I wonder what you have to say about Samsung and the Note 7 then. A considerably more expensive device with an even worse battery issue. At least, I haven't heard of any airplanes being evacuated for a KA1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote