Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Shadowjack
Enthusiast
Shadowjack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, Kobo H2O, H2Ov2, Libra H2O
Glo HD sold out

The Glo HD is listed as sold out on the Kobo site. Is this a sign they are discontinuing this model or just a temporary shortage? It makes me wonder if they will discontinue the H2O, viewing the KA1 as a replacement for it, as they may view the Aura as a replacement for the Glo.
Shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My hope is that they've recalled a bunch of them to update the firmware to remove the bug that affected machines with the initial Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but who knows. Hopefully it's still available and not discontinued. I'd love to see 300 dpi across their entire product line in a variety of screen sizes become the new normal.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
My hope is that they've recalled a bunch of them to update the firmware to remove the bug that affected machines with the initial Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but who knows. Hopefully it's still available and not discontinued. I'd love to see 300 dpi across their entire product line in a variety of screen sizes become the new normal.
There's no need to recall anything. The issue with Win 10AU has been fixed by MS.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
My hope is that they've recalled a bunch of them to update the firmware to remove the bug that affected machines with the initial Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but who knows.
There is no need to do that. After a factory reset, there are no problems connecting to a Win10AU machine. The problem is only seen after the device has been setup and in use.

And I don't think the Glo HD is going to be disappear anytime soon. Unless they have plans for a "Glo ONE" early next year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
I'm thinking they will be replacing the Glo HD with them. Why else make another ereader in the same price zone? I just wish they gave it the same 300 ppi. Hopefully I'm wrong but Glo HDs seem to be disappearing. They probably want to switch all of them to this new image of the blue button on the back.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did a chat with Kobo, and:

Quote:
Is seems the device is out of stock for at least this week in our website, over here in costumer service we don`t have an estimated time but I believe that you can try again looking at our website by midweek
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no need to recall anything. The issue with Win 10AU has been fixed by MS.
It hasn't.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/311...ry-update.html
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to clarify, MS implemented a workaround for the Kobo and a few select other devices that were reported as problematic, but it hasn't completely wiped out the issue as Zaroff pointed out. Until there's a true fix from MS, it's probably worthwhile for Kobo to recall all the old devices and update their firmware (and ideally the recovery partition/recovery scripts) to remove whatever weirdness they've done to the boot sector of the user partition (I've noticed that I no longer get any mismatched byte errors in firmware 4.0 whenever doing a dosfsck in Linux) and any other weirdness they do to various sectors, just in case the problem re-emerges later on when MS inevitably changes how they handle USB things again, or for those who, for whatever reason, are running an un-patched Win 10 AU update.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks for shedding more light on this. Do you have some pointers for this specific workaround? I can't seem to find any.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
rtiangha
Evangelist

One of the hot fixes that MS released in the last month made the Kobos work again, although some Kindles still have issues. If you've been updating Windows regularly, you should have gotten it by now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
... it's probably worthwhile for Kobo to recall all the old devices and update their firmware ... just in case the problem re-emerges later on when MS inevitably changes how they handle USB things again, or for those who, for whatever reason, are running an un-patched Win 10 AU update.
Think about how much it would cost them to a) get the devices back from retail, b) open the packaging, attached each individual device and reflash it and c) repackage the device, likely in at least partially new packaging. I'd find it hard to believe that that economics of doing that is going to be worthwhile. Worst case scenario if this came back it's going to affect people that unable or unwilling to use wifi to get an update over wifi to fix it. That will be a pretty small subsset of the devices they'd have to recall and even if they have to swap devices for those people it's would be a lot cheaper in the long run.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Think about how much it would cost them to a) get the devices back from retail, b) open the packaging, attached each individual device and reflash it and c) repackage the device, likely in at least partially new packaging. I'd find it hard to believe that that economics of doing that is going to be worthwhile. Worst case scenario if this came back it's going to affect people that unable or unwilling to use wifi to get an update over wifi to fix it. That will be a pretty small subsset of the devices they'd have to recall and even if they have to swap devices for those people it's would be a lot cheaper in the long run.
Well, unless those models are discontinued, it's the only explanation that I can think of as to why there isn't a single Kobo reader in any brick-and-mortar store in my city at the moment, even though the displays are still up. But whatever. I secured my Glo HD before they all mysteriously disappeared. I'm happy.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
That was how the Aura 6" (Edition none?) went away. Sold out for a few weeks, then gone.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Well, unless those models are discontinued, it's the only explanation that I can think of as to why there isn't a single Kobo reader in any brick-and-mortar store in my city at the moment, even though the displays are still up. But whatever. I secured my Glo HD before they all mysteriously disappeared. I'm happy.
As I stated above, the factory recall isn't needed. If you factory reset these devices, they have no problem connecting to the bad version of Windows. After the devices are updated to later firmware and actually used, the problem starts happening. It is cause by how the firmware is tracking if it has successfully restarted.

But, the recall isn't needed because:

- Kobo have fixed the problem as of firmware 4.0. Upgrade over WiFi or using a PC that doesn't have the bad version of Windows will solve it for all. At worst, do a factory reset followed by the updated.

- MS have released an update that solves the problem for the Kobo ereaders. Updating to that will solve the problem without changing the device.

What that means is that there are reasonable ways around the problem. And that as MS makes it hard not to install fixes, the number of people actually affected by this problem is small and decreasing all the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Things sell out. Stores may be in the process of ceasing to carry certain models but have yet to remove the displays.

I've not been able to see a Kobo in person without buying one for a long time now. And I'm in a major city in the US. The reason for that is, apparently, that Kobo isn't interested in trying to wrestle with Amazon for the US market. I can't say as I blame them, though I do think they have a product which is superior in many ways to the Kindle line.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote