Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Yes, I do experience some sort of visual, auditory and sometimes smell and even taste feedback while reading. Generally not touch though - that could get creepy. But as others have said, it's not like a movie, or a VR set or something, I do not literally hear the characters speak. For me it's more like a memory of the event that forms as I'm reading and tends, as issybird described, to be something like snapshots.

Apropos of Karellen and hildea's comments about making up their own narratives: one of the reasons why I took up writing again (after decades away) is that I found I could get the same effect while writing. It's quite a buzz while it's working, but doesn't happen all the time.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #32
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
No. I follow the plot, I want to know how it ends but I don't imagine places, people, etc.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2023, 10:36 PM   #33
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Sometimes for certain scenes I create a little side narrative that I feel should have happened in the book. (yea, yea, I know, seek professional help )
There are many many thousands of people who write fanfiction, so ... you could just sign up to AO3 instead? Much cheaper than professional help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 05:51 AM   #34
DrivingTest
DrivingTest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
This is what distinguishes a good author from a poor author for me. If I can picture the location and characters, that's a good author. If I can't, that's a poor one.
Totally agree, a good author can paint a picture with words and that picture should appear in the mind.
DrivingTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 PM   #35
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. Not as sharply as in real life; it's all kind of blurred. But yeah, I do visualize. Taste, too. Smelling and hearing, possibly a little.
Quote:
I notice a clear trend here. Those who visualize are also mostly those who felt an emotional connection to their reading material and the characters in it in the other thread. And those who don't visualize are the ones who seemed to take a more intellectual approach. Interesting.
I was the OP in the other thread - I asked about "connecting" to the characters because I don't think I do that and found it confusing when people mention "connecting" in a review. It's been interesting to read about other people's experience.

As for the images - I usually have a fuzzy picture in my mind of what a character, house, etc. looks like. No taste, smell or sound.

I know in some past Mobileread discussion about visualization some people reported that they almost saw a movie in their head of what was going on in the book. I definitely don't have that. I can't visualize something like a fight scene and usually just skip over those.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2023, 08:54 PM   #36
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingTest View Post
Totally agree, a good author can paint a picture with words and that picture should appear in the mind.
Quote:
This is what distinguishes a good author from a poor author for me. If I can picture the location and characters, that's a good author. If I can't, that's a poor one.
I once read some discussion or opinion piece about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice wherein it was pointed out that there was very little description of the characters. I realized I hadn't even noticed, though I did have my usual fuzzy mental images of the main characters. I'll never know if my images were anything like what Austen may have had in mind.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:58 AM   #37
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I like when the author gives a good description of the main characters at the beginning of a book.
It helps to make a connection to those characters throughout the story, and makes for a more enjoyable reading experience. It then plays out like a movie in my mind and I’m thoroughly hooked until the end.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:47 AM   #38
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
As someone with aphantasia, I can't visualize no matter how emotionally invested I am.
Same here -- even my own memories are not images in my head, just a list of facts. It's hard for me to even imagine what it's like for others who claim that they can see, smell, and hear the scene... it just seems so foreign as to be almost unbelievable to me. This might be why I'm not really into fantasy but love very technical science fiction, and why I like reading non-fiction and technical topics more than a lot of general fiction.

When I was in elementary school the teachers often did this guided visualization thing where we'd lay down and close our eyes and they'd tell us to imagine something -- I hated that, it always seemed so pointless, but I wonder if others were having a very different experience than me.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Same here -- even my own memories are not images in my head, just a list of facts. It's hard for me to even imagine what it's like for others who claim that they can see, smell, and hear the scene... it just seems so foreign as to be almost unbelievable to me.
It's very hard for me to imagine what it's like to never see/taste/smell/hear anything in one's mind. I had no idea there even were people like that, until I stumbled upon a post here mentioning aphantasia. A subject that seems to have been researched very little until now. Reading about it was really interesting and eye-opening. How drastically different people can be, our genetic similarity notwithstanding...

And it makes one wonder why various genetic mutations have persisted for thousands or millions of years. What benefit do they have? For example, I have a personality disorder that makes it virtually impossible for me to have close emotional relationships with other people (no problem with animals). Apparently inherited from my father's side of the family. I often wonder why such a disability has persisted throughout human history, with no obvious benefits I can see.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-22-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:12 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
It's very hard for me to imagine what it's like to never see/taste/smell/hear anything in one's mind. I had no idea there even were people like that, until I stumbled upon a post here mentioning aphantasia. A subject that seems to have been researched very little until now. Reading about it was really interesting and eye-opening. How drastically different people can be, our genetic similarity notwithstanding...

And it makes one wonder why various genetic mutations have persisted for thousands or millions of years. What benefit do they have? For example, I have a personality disorder that makes it virtually impossible for me to have close emotional relationships with other people (no problem with animals). Apparently inherited from my father's side of the family. I often wonder why such a disability has persisted throughout human history, with no obvious benefits I can see.
Someone ordering soldiers into combat might wish they were like that instead of being tortured by their memories for the rest of their life.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:23 PM   #41
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
How drastically different people can be, our genetic similarity notwithstanding...
I've always wondered if others see things the same way I do. Say, I look up and comment on what a beautiful blue color the sky is today. Someone else looks up, and they're seeing what I would call green. But they've known that as blue, because it's been that way for them all their life. We are seeing totally different colors, but we call them the same word because that's what we've always known them to be called.

I know, that's a really bizarre twist on the saying, "If you could only see things through someone else's eyes". It might make for a cool plot for a sci-fi novel. Actually seeing things through someone else's eyes, and the horror and confusion that may come from that.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:24 PM   #42
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
And it makes one wonder why various genetic mutations have persisted for thousands or millions of years. What benefit do they have?
I think the theory goes that unless it'll get a large portion of the society killed off, or at least keep them from breeding, it's not going to get weeded out. It'll just show up now and again. Mutations don't have to have benefits, they just don't have to kill off future descendants.

And it may be that the ability to be self-contained, and with no need for close relationships, lead to those people who explore. Charge out on their own, and search out new lands. Take the jobs where they can be solitary for long periods of time. Maybe, get sent to live on Mars, and never really miss the rest of us.

Pioneers.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #43
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
plays out like a scene in a movie as i go along
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:37 PM   #44
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
I've always wondered if others see things the same way I do. Say, I look up and comment on what a beautiful blue color the sky is today. Someone else looks up, and they're seeing what I would call green. But they've known that as blue, because it's been that way for them all their life. We are seeing totally different colors, but we call them the same word because that's what we've always known them to be called.

I know, that's a really bizarre twist on the saying, "If you could only see things through someone else's eyes". It might make for a cool plot for a sci-fi novel. Actually seeing things through someone else's eyes, and the horror and confusion that may come from that.
I've always wondered if that's why different people like different colors. One person loves blue while another prefers red.

I've also wondered similarly about taste and food preferences.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #45
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I’ve had that exact thought so many times.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote