Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #586
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh my, I completely missed that post. Thank you! Hmmm I do like the Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen patch though... I'll have look and see if the Only show Pocket SmartLink is worth the smaller cover sizes...
You don't need to miss out on Home screen larger cover sizes. Just enable Increase home screen cover size instead of Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #587
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You don't need to miss out on Home screen larger cover sizes. Just enable Increase home screen cover size instead of Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen
Oh right, stupid me
Though still, the empty row3 is a lot less cluttery...

In any case I've just given it a try, but Only show Pocket SmartLink does indeed show Pocket on row3col2, but it also gives me 'Find your next great read' on row3col1

EDIT: Nope sorry, I much prefer a hidden row3, it gives better vertical spacing. So no in-your-face Pocket for me I really hope the (useless) 'Discover' tab button can be magiced into a Pocket link

EDIT: Can't give you more Karma without spreading it around first Jackie

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-27-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #588
muzzle
muzzle began at the beginning.

Device: p̶r̶s̶ ̶6̶0̶0̶, kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnway View Post
Is there any way to prevent ever setting a 0% backlight? I do most of my reading in the dark, and if the device boots to the home screen with 0% backlight, it's almost impossible to get to that menu to enable it again without having to turn on a light in the room.
Any news on this? I have exactly the same issue and came here looking for a patch.

In principle the crude way to do it would be to restrict the comfortlight intensity range to 1-100, it sounds doable, but what do i know?
muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #589
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximmox View Post
I would love (!) the option to replace the unused Discover Tab in the new bottom bar with the Pocket Articles, too, just as @Vetchy asked for.

No hurry for anyone able to look into it (like @geek1011 who is unavailable currently), but it would be great to know, IF it seems doable at all.

For me the discover Tab is totally useless, I only need kepubs from Calibre and my Pocket articles.
I'll decide on this next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzle View Post
Any news on this? I have exactly the same issue and came here looking for a patch.

In principle the crude way to do it would be to restrict the comfortlight intensity range to 1-100, it sounds doable, but what do i know?
I'll look into it next week.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #590
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I'll decide on this next week.

I'll look into it next week.
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 02:28 AM   #591
elpistola
elpistola began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximmox View Post
I would love (!) the option to replace the unused Discover Tab in the new bottom bar with the Pocket Articles, too, just as @Vetchy asked for.

No hurry for anyone able to look into it (like @geek1011 who is unavailable currently), but it would be great to know, IF it seems doable at all.

For me the discover Tab is totally useless, I only need kepubs from Calibre and my Pocket articles.
Another vote for this from me, would be great to have Pocket front and centre on the main screen
elpistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #592
KL Wong
KL Wong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, Kobo aura HD, Kobo Forma
Tapping on screen always go backward

I recently bought a Kobo Forma. I use the patch to set both buttons go forward.
Can we have a patch such that tapping the screen would always go backward.

Another feature I would like is a message on the screen after reading for example, 20 minutes, a remainder to take a rest. The remainder may alternatively be activiated after , for example, 500 screen refresh/page turn. I always forgot to follow the 20-20-20 rule especially when reading a good book.

Thanks in advance.

KL Wong
KL Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #593
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL Wong View Post
Another feature I would like is a message on the screen after reading for example, 20 minutes, a remainder to take a rest. The remainder may alternatively be activated after , for example, 500 screen refresh/page turn. I always forgot to follow the 20-20-20 rule especially when reading a good book.
KL Wong
I didn't know the 20-20-20 rule, so I just looked it up, and second it. Every few years I need a number of orthoptist appointments for reeducation, and at the end she gives me a picture with symmetrical figures on a dotted ground. When I am in front of my computer, I'm supposed to regularly stop and, holding the picture at the end of my arm, look at a point farther away above it, and concentrate until I see a third figure in the middle of each row. So yes, I would appreciate the reminder option. I'd probably choose longer than 20 minutes for a reader, which is much less stressful for the eyes than a computer screen.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #594
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL Wong View Post
I recently bought a Kobo Forma. I use the patch to set both buttons go forward.
Can we have a patch such that tapping the screen would always go backward.

Another feature I would like is a message on the screen after reading for example, 20 minutes, a remainder to take a rest. The remainder may alternatively be activiated after , for example, 500 screen refresh/page turn. I always forgot to follow the 20-20-20 rule especially when reading a good book.

Thanks in advance.

KL Wong
That would be implemented as an external tool with FBInk and NickelDBus, not a patch. @sherman or @NiLuJe might have something to say about this.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #595
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
That's a *gr8* idea. I always forget the 20-20-20 rule too ;P
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:48 AM   #596
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Would it be possible to make a patch that influences some CSS is Kepubs:

--> some padding/spacer or something to change distance between the text and the top of the screen/header and the bottom of the screen/footer, preferably separately from each other? (Doesn't necessarily have to be done with CSS of course if there is another way.)

--> something to remove the extra (line) space before and after new paragraphs
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #597
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Would it be possible to make a patch that influences some CSS is Kepubs:

--> some padding/spacer or something to change distance between the text and the top of the screen/header and the bottom of the screen/footer, preferably separately from each other? (Doesn't necessarily have to be done with CSS of course if there is another way.)
I've replied to this in the other thread

Quote:
--> something to remove the extra (line) space before and after new paragraphs
Short answer: This is best done by book by book by editing the relevant CSS margins using an epub editor such as calibre Editor or Sigil.

Longer answer: This is a can of worms. I'd categorise it under "be careful what you wish for". Even if it could be done, books follow no rules when it comes to HTML/CSS. If it can be done in HTML/CSS it will be done by some publisher, somewhere - however inane. Any global attempt to force top/bottom margins to zero for standard paragraphs in every book also risks zeroing them where you didn't want them zeroed, e.g. scenebreaks, headings, quotations, poetry verses ...
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #598
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, it's a two-edged sword. We have a style tweak for that in KOReader, so you at least get to choose it on a per-document basis, but it's still *very* broad when you apply it .

It's split in two, margin/padding, and essentially looks like that:

Code:
p, li { margin-top: 0 !important; margin-bottom: 0 !important; }
Code:
p, li { padding-top: 0 !important; padding-bottom: 0 !important; }
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #599
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've replied to this in the other thread

Short answer: This is best done by book by book by editing the relevant CSS margins using an epub editor such as calibre Editor or Sigil.

Longer answer: This is a can of worms. I'd categorise it under "be careful what you wish for". Even if it could be done, books follow no rules when it comes to HTML/CSS. If it can be done in HTML/CSS it will be done by some publisher, somewhere - however inane. Any global attempt to force top/bottom margins to zero for standard paragraphs in every book also risks zeroing them where you didn't want them zeroed, e.g. scenebreaks, headings, quotations, poetry verses ...
Mmmmm yes. So much to say... but... I suppose you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, it's a two-edged sword. We have a style tweak for that in KOReader, so you at least get to choose it on a per-document basis, but it's still *very* broad when you apply it .
Mmm yes... poo.
Quote:
It's split in two, margin/padding, and essentially looks like that:

Code:
p, li { margin-top: 0 !important; margin-bottom: 0 !important; }
Code:
p, li { padding-top: 0 !important; padding-bottom: 0 !important; }
Thanks!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #600
stupdude2
stupdude2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
ComfortLight Temperature Restriction

I often turn off the auto ComfortLight during the day because the maximum blue light doesn't imitate paper and is uncomfortable. I'd love to restrict it to somewhere below maximum blue while maintaining the automatic change. Has there been any development with this? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226 View Post
If the comfort light settings are exposed so as to allow patching ....

It would be great to have a patch the would restrict the "auto" setting for the comfort light to some values in the middle so that it does not get so blue during the day nor so orange at night. Say from "25%" to "75%" (on the slider) of the current values.

Thank you for all or your work on patching. These patches morph the Kobo Aura One from a very good device into a great device. Your work is greatly appreciated.
Another idea I read a while ago is that maybe there could be a slider on the right side similar to the brightness on the left which would adjust ComfortLight temperature by swiping.
stupdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests