Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #571
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximmox View Post
I would love (!) the option to replace the unused Discover Tab in the new bottom bar with the Pocket Articles, too, just as @Vetchy asked for.

No hurry for anyone able to look into it (like @geek1011 who is unavailable currently), but it would be great to know, IF it seems doable at all.

For me the discover Tab is totally useless, I only need kepubs from Calibre and my Pocket articles.
Yes please!! I agree completely
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #572
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it be possible to make a patch that makes the Kobo clock display during reading (so when a book or article is open), as well as on the home screen / library etc?

I currently use the lovely Mini Clock, but I wouldn’t need that anymore if Kobo’s clock were always visible

Edit: also the Mini Clock is always in the way of something now in the new 4.23.x firmware (maybe also earlier firmware, I don’t know, I’ve not been updating) in whatever corner I put it... So for now I’m back to my favourite setup in 4.9.x with patches. Though eagerly awaiting a clock solution because I’d really like the new header / footer information to show (as well as a clock)

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-07-2020 at 04:10 AM.
Advert
Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #573
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
In the meantime, if the current appearance is too ugly, you could take the sweep-it-under-the-rug options in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
  • enable 'Remove title from reading header/footer' leaving only the progress text visible in header/footer
  • enable both 'Custom header/footer page number text' and 'Custom navigation menu page number text' to show '10 / 20' instead of '10 OF 20'
Is it also possible to change the footer text to 'Page 10 / 20', so including the word Page...?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #574
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Is it also possible to change the footer text to 'Page 10 / 20', so including the word Page...?
Patches in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml often have to be treated carefully because the Replace string shouldn't be longer than the original Find string.

As long as you customise the Replace string yourself I can't see any reason why Custom navigation menu page number text wouldn't work because your suggested Replace string would still be shorter than the original (13-chars).

However, patch Custom header/footer page number text doesn't look so easy. The Find string, "%1 OF %2", has only 8-chars to play with.

Maybe @geek1011 could enlighten us more if he sees this. Perhaps sneaky workarounds are possible that I'm unaware of?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #575
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Patches in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml often have to be treated carefully because the Replace string shouldn't be longer than the original Find string.

As long as you customise the Replace string yourself I can't see any reason why Custom navigation menu page number text wouldn't work because your suggested Replace string would still be shorter than the original (13-chars).

However, patch Custom header/footer page number text doesn't look so easy. The Find string, "%1 OF %2", has only 8-chars to play with.

Maybe @geek1011 could enlighten us more if he sees this. Perhaps sneaky workarounds are possible that I'm unaware of?
The replace string could be "Pg %1/%2" as that fits in the 8 character space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #576
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can a patch be created and added to the standard list of patches to remove the code that makes footnote links a dull gray with KePub? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #577
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can a patch be created and added to the standard list of patches to remove the code that makes footnote links a dull gray with KePub? Thanks.
You can't remove the code as such but you can use whatever CSS style you prefer by creating a custom patch for libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, e.g.
Code:
beta KePub stylesheet anchor style:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: Customise style of kepub hyperlinks
  - FindBaseAddressString: "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active {"
  - ReplaceString: 
      Find:    "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active { border-bottom: 1px dotted black !important; color: #696969 !important; }"
      Replace: "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active { border-bottom: 1px dotted black !important; color: inherit !important; }"
      MustMatchLength: yes
The usual caveats about matching Find/Replace lengths apply, but there's no need to stick to having a 1px dotted black underline. This is the Replace statement I use on my own devices because I want footnote links to stand out like a sore thumb, but it might not suit users who do a lot of highlighting (I don't do any):
Code:
Replace: "a { border: none !important; background-color: #ddd !important; color: inherit !important;                    }"
BTW, unless several people register an interest in this patch I'm not going to add it to the standard kobopatch pack. I've been using my custom patch for several fw versions without needing to update it ... but, as usual no guarantees that Kobo won't decide to tinker next time.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #578
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can't remove the code as such but you can use whatever CSS style you prefer by creating a custom patch for libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, e.g.
Code:
beta KePub stylesheet anchor style:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: Customise style of kepub hyperlinks
  - FindBaseAddressString: "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active {"
  - ReplaceString: 
      Find:    "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active { border-bottom: 1px dotted black !important; color: #696969 !important; }"
      Replace: "a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active { border-bottom: 1px dotted black !important; color: inherit !important; }"
      MustMatchLength: yes
The usual caveats about matching Find/Replace lengths apply, but there's no need to stick to having a 1px dotted black underline. This is the Replace statement I use on my own devices because I want footnote links to stand out like a sore thumb, but it might not suit users who do a lot of highlighting (I don't do any):
Code:
Replace: "a { border: none !important; background-color: #ddd !important; color: inherit !important;                    }"
BTW, unless several people register an interest in this patch I'm not going to add it to the standard kobopatch pack. I've been using my custom patch for several fw versions without needing to update it ... but, as usual no guarantees that Kobo won't decide to tinker next time.
Thank you very much for this. I'll be trying your replace string as I agree that the footnote links should stand out more.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #579
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks Jackie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The replace string could be "Pg %1/%2" as that fits in the 8 character space.
Ah good that's better than nothing... Thanks!
Old 09-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #580
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
It is a translated string, so it can be replaced that way.

Sorry about the delay; I'm quite busy right now.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #581
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I would love (!) the option to replace the unused Discover Tab in the new bottom bar with the Pocket Articles, too, just as @Vetchy asked for.

No hurry for anyone able to look into it (like @geek1011 who is unavailable currently), but it would be great to know, IF it seems doable at all.

For me the discover Tab is totally useless, I only need kepubs from Calibre and my Pocket articles.
Yes. THIS. Please!!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #582
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yes. THIS. Please!!
But some of us who would never use Discover also never use Pocket articles. My ideal lineup would be to just move "More" over to where Discover is. So hopefully it could have a few options.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #583
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It is a translated string, so it can be replaced that way.

Sorry about the delay; I'm quite busy right now.
[Assuming you're referring to the full word "Page" and not "Pg"...] Oh yay, thank you for confirming!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yes. THIS. Please!!
Yes please, I'd really love this too!!!! I always want to read Pocket articles but forget they're there because they're not in-your-face enough
Old 09-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #584
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I always want to read Pocket articles but forget they're there because they're not in-your-face enough
If you enable the patch I mentioned in post #549 they'll be back in-your-face again at bottom right of Home screen - row 3 col 2.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #585
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
If you enable the patch I mentioned in post #549 they'll be back in-your-face again at bottom right of Home screen - row 3 col 2.
Oh my, I completely missed that post. Thank you! Hmmm I do like the Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen patch though... I'll have look and see if the Only show Pocket SmartLink is worth the smaller cover sizes...

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests