Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #496
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJohnAdams View Post
As a second question (I apologize for the double post), is there any way to control how aggressive the hyphenation is? I think I would prefer if my Kepubs were hyphenated slightly more aggressively. Or maybe that is something to address by using a better hyphenation dictionary?
Download the better hyphenation dictionary at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405 and install it. The problem is not that KePub is not hyphenating aggressively enough but that the hyphenation dictionary has values for hyphenating that are too large. The better dictionary has better values for better hyphenation.

And do keep a copy of this hyphenation dictionary as you'll need to reinstall it every time you update the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #497
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Download the better hyphenation dictionary at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405 and install it. The problem is not that KePub is not hyphenating aggressively enough but that the hyphenation dictionary has values for hyphenating that are too large. The better dictionary has better values for better hyphenation.

And do keep a copy of this hyphenation dictionary as you'll need to reinstall it every time you update the firmware.
I can't believe I missed that—I did a search for hyphenation before I posted, I promise!
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #498
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
My Aura ONE is starting to show noticeable ghosting on .cbz files if I don't have it set to refresh every page. This isn't a problem if I'm reading a book instead of a comic though, and I have to either manually swap the refresh rate back when I change books, or waste battery life by refreshing every page even for plain text.

Would it be possible to force a refresh rate of once per page only for .cbz files?
Merged from another thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #499
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJohnAdams View Post
I can't believe I missed that—I did a search for hyphenation before I posted, I promise!
It's very easy to miss as it's an older thread and the word hyphenation is used a lot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #500
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Is it possible to write a patch that pressing on a word open rightly the full screen window of the pop up dictionary??
Maybe choosing if with the keyboard ready to type or not?!
Hi, any news? (or hypothesis are welcome too)

Thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #501
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
It's possible to create a patch to make the bottom reading status bar more thin or more grayer?

When you progress your reading the darker color is too dark IMO.

Tks
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #502
ICDeadPpl
Enthusiast
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is it possible to have the "files:" section to be included via an external file, like one does with a custom libnickel.yaml file?
ICDeadPpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #503
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@geek1011

Is it possible to make a patch to turn on / off the stock screensaver? To display either pictures or book covers?

I understand that can simply rename the folder 'screensaver', but I would like this function in the menu.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:15 AM   #504
Tammuz91
Tammuz91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello, does the "Manipulate reading stats" patch still work with new firmwares?

Code:
Manipulate reading stats:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: Always add 10 hours to the reading time every time you close a book.
  # in EventEngine::endReadingSession(*Volume) when recording end of reading session stats, change QDateTime::secsTo calls to a fixed value
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4D99A0, FindH: 4F F7 22 EB, ReplaceH: 48 F6 A0 40} # MOV  r0, 0x8ca0    ; 10 hours in seconds in hex
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4D99C0, FindH: 4F F7 12 EB, ReplaceH: 48 F6 A0 40} # MOV  r0, 0x8ca0    ; 10 hours in seconds in hex
I can't seem to make it work, maybe I am doing something wrong.

I get this error:

Quote:
Error: could not apply patch "Manipulate reading stats": line 31: inst 3: ReplaceBytes: could not find specified bytes
Error: could not apply patches: error applying patch file 'src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml': could not apply patch "Manipulate reading stats": line 31: inst 3: ReplaceBytes: could not find specified bytes

Last edited by Tammuz91; 06-10-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Tammuz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #505
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz91 View Post
Hello, does the "Manipulate reading stats" patch still work with new firmwares?

Code:
Manipulate reading stats:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: Always add 10 hours to the reading time every time you close a book.
  # in EventEngine::endReadingSession(*Volume) when recording end of reading session stats, change QDateTime::secsTo calls to a fixed value
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4D99A0, FindH: 4F F7 22 EB, ReplaceH: 48 F6 A0 40} # MOV  r0, 0x8ca0    ; 10 hours in seconds in hex
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x4D99C0, FindH: 4F F7 12 EB, ReplaceH: 48 F6 A0 40} # MOV  r0, 0x8ca0    ; 10 hours in seconds in hex
Tammuz91,

I'm curious. Why would you want to fudge the reading stats?

Last edited by droopy; 06-19-2020 at 01:56 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #506
pwood310mobi
pwood310mobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
KOBO Aura H2O (original)

A long story, but I have essentially all-but-bricked my reader.
I had some troubles that eventually turned out to be related to 2 bad USB cords.
While that was going on I ended up finding out how to restore the reader to original factory - even the OS, I think.
I decided to see how the MacOS Kobo app would work as opposed to WiFi.

I had trouble authenticating that app and after naming dozens and dozens of streetlights, boats, and busses - at some point I said "Yeah that's enough" and didn't eject the device properly.

Now when I reboot it it is never seen as a USB device in the Mac - also it shows just a white screen while the led blinks.
I tried to redo the reboot and touch the 2 lower corners strategy (it worked before I messed up the disk).
Now I have taken the device apart - and have the SD Card.
I see that there are multiple partitions.
If I could get a raw disk image with all the partitions and instructions for finding and changing the serial number I could dd the image onto my SDCard and get things rolling again.
I'd much appreciate anybody's help they can give!

Here are the partitions I am seeing (copied to a 32GB card)
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.9 GB disk3
1: Linux 268.4 MB disk3s1
2: Linux 268.4 MB disk3s2
3: DOS_FAT_32 KOBOeReader 3.4 GB disk3s3
pwood310mobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #507
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwood310mobi View Post
KOBO Aura H2O (original)

A long story, but I have essentially all-but-bricked my reader.
I had some troubles that eventually turned out to be related to 2 bad USB cords.
While that was going on I ended up finding out how to restore the reader to original factory - even the OS, I think.
I decided to see how the MacOS Kobo app would work as opposed to WiFi.

I had trouble authenticating that app and after naming dozens and dozens of streetlights, boats, and busses - at some point I said "Yeah that's enough" and didn't eject the device properly.

Now when I reboot it it is never seen as a USB device in the Mac - also it shows just a white screen while the led blinks.
I tried to redo the reboot and touch the 2 lower corners strategy (it worked before I messed up the disk).
Now I have taken the device apart - and have the SD Card.
I see that there are multiple partitions.
If I could get a raw disk image with all the partitions and instructions for finding and changing the serial number I could dd the image onto my SDCard and get things rolling again.
I'd much appreciate anybody's help they can give!

Here are the partitions I am seeing (copied to a 32GB card)
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.9 GB disk3
1: Linux 268.4 MB disk3s1
2: Linux 268.4 MB disk3s2
3: DOS_FAT_32 KOBOeReader 3.4 GB disk3s3
I think you're in the wrong thread for this because it's not kobopatch-related. If you go to the end of the Kobo H2O: Need SD Image thread you may be able to get what you need.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it's not something I've ever needed to do myself.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #508
Tammuz91
Tammuz91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Tammuz91,

I'm curious. Why would you like fudge the reading stats?
Hi, it might be very trivial. But I had to restore my Kobo Clara and lost all my statistics because I did not have a proper backup. I know that there might be more important issues but I saw this patch and I thought it was worth a shot.
Tammuz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #509
greatforum
greatforum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hello,

Is it possible to create a patch to change the font of footnotes? (The footnotes have many blanks for Chinese books, and it would be nice if I can change the default font to a Chinese font.)

Or is there an instruction on how to create new patches?

I used cssextract-windows.exe (with argument of the kobo-update-4.21.15015.zip). I looked at @jackie_w's dictionary font patch, and the yaml file is finding a string
Code:
"{ font: %1px %2; line-height: 1.4em; }\ndiv.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }\nol { font-size: %1px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: %4em; margin-top: 0px; }\nol p { font-size: %1px; font-weight:normal; }\n"
If I look at the cssextract.out.css and search for font, the only thing I see is
Code:
.webkit-html-message-bubble {
    -webkit-box-shadow: black 0px 2px 5px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 9px;
    -webkit-border-fit: lines;
    font-size: 10px;
    font-family: Lucida Grande, sans-serif;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin: 6px 25px;
    padding: 0 7px 1px;
    z-index:20;
}
I definitely missed something, can someone help me?

Thank you!
greatforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:27 PM   #510
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatforum View Post
Is it possible to create a patch to change the font of footnotes? (The footnotes have many blanks for Chinese books, and it would be nice if I can change the default font to a Chinese font.)
@geek1011 used to have a nickel.yaml patch which could do this. It was called 'Change pop-up footnote font-family', but I think it stopped working in a fairly recent firmware, probably when Kobo changed the footnote pop-up widget to have the scrollbar slider down the right edge.

I don't know whether @geek1011 can shed more light?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests