Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #481
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's rather odd. I'm set for chapter and here is the config line.

numPartialUpdatePageTurns=4294967295

I've changed it to 50. I'll see if that works.
That's just another way to say -1
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #482
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Hi all, thanks for all the work you do with the patches! A few firmware versions ago, I asked here if it was possible to get a patch to reduce the font size of the text in the Kepub footnotes. Jackie_w (IIRC) then updated a patch that had been shared by another user previously and didn't work anymore:

Code:
Pop-up footnote main text font-size:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: |
        Change font-size of pop-up footnote main text (KePub only).
        (based on the original by jcn363)
        Note: Be aware that making this change will probably also change font-size
              in various other parts of the Kobo GUI
  - FindZlib: "RegularTouchLabel {\n  font-family"
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
        # RegularTouchLabel Popup footnote main text
        # Change Replace font-size as required for your Kobo model
          #Touch/Mini
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}"
          #Glo/Aura/Aura2
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}"
          #AuraHD/H2O/H2O2
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}"
          #GloHD
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}"
          #ClaraHD
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}"
          #LibraH2O
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 34px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 34px;\n}"
          #AuraOne/Forma
        - Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}"
I've kept using it for some time, but unfortunately with the new 4.20 firmwares it has stopped working again - it's successful in reducing the font size in other parts of the GUI, but the footnotes' text stays unchanged. I was wondering if there was a way to update it again? Thanks in advance!
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #483
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Hi all, thanks for all the work you do with the patches! A few firmware versions ago, I asked here if it was possible to get a patch to reduce the font size of the text in the Kepub footnotes. Jackie_w (IIRC) then updated a patch that had been shared by another user previously and didn't work anymore:

<snip>

I've kept using it for some time, but unfortunately with the new 4.20 firmwares it has stopped working again - it's successful in reducing the font size in other parts of the GUI, but the footnotes' text stays unchanged. I was wondering if there was a way to update it again? Thanks in advance!
Yes, you're right, unfortunately. See my first post at the top of Issue #55 on geek1011's GitHub site.

There is a "kind-of workaround" which I added at the end of that post. It's fine for anyone who only owns one Kobo model but, as you can read, you only get to set a single value, e.g. what works for a Forma would look huge on a Mini. If you can't see that post let me know and I'll post the workaround here.

In case it helps I can tell you what I did. For my purposes I'm OK with the default font-sizes for everything except my KA1 and Forma, so I only enable the new workaround patch for those 2 devices.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #484
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, you're right, unfortunately. See my first post at the top of Issue #55 on geek1011's GitHub site.

There is a "kind-of workaround" which I added at the end of that post. It's fine for anyone who only owns one Kobo model but, as you can read, you only get to set a single value, e.g. what works for a Forma would look huge on a Mini. If you can't see that post let me know and I'll post the workaround here.

In case it helps I can tell you what I did. For my purposes I'm OK with the default font-sizes for everything except my KA1 and Forma, so I only enable the new workaround patch for those 2 devices.
Thanks, jackie! I was able to access the post and tried the patch on my Libra, with settings 28px and line-height 1.2. It went through as normal and the font size looks good enough to me (it's pretty much what I used with the older patch), and the line-height also seems to have changed successfully. I do have another Kobo that I use but the Libra is my main device now, so to be honest this works perfectly for me, though I imagine that it might not be 'ideal' from a patch writer's perspective thank you so much!

If you're planning on working on it some more and need someone to test it in the future, I'd be willing to help. Besides the Libra I also have a Glo HD and a Aura H2O (1st ed), so I could try it on different devices.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #485
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you're planning on working on it some more and need someone to test it in the future, I'd be willing to help. Besides the Libra I also have a Glo HD and a Aura H2O (1st ed), so I could try it on different devices.
I don't think there's going to be anything else to work on in that patch. Looking on the bright side it is nice and simple, just not very flexible.

Striking while the iron's hot ... One way you could help is with another new patch we're currently working on to increase the size of the cover thumbnails on the new Series List page. It's been a bit finicky so far and none of the team owns a LibraH2O so setting its replacement values has been pure guesswork. Would you be willing to do the LibraH2O beta testing for us? If so I can give you more details about what's required.
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 05:23 AM   #486
mathil
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Striking while the iron's hot ... One way you could help is with another new patch we're currently working on to increase the size of the cover thumbnails on the new Series List page. It's been a bit finicky so far and none of the team owns a LibraH2O so setting its replacement values has been pure guesswork. Would you be willing to do the LibraH2O beta testing for us? If so I can give you more details about what's required.
Sure! I'll probably need guidance if things get more technical than they are right now, though. If that's okay with you, I'm on.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #487
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sure! I'll probably need guidance if things get more technical than they are right now, though. If that's okay with you, I'm on.
Thanks I'll PM you with details.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #488
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I've released a new tool, NickelMenu.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #489
DarConall
DarConall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Request: automatic brightness control

Automatic backlight warmth control is already there, but what about automatic brightness control too? I often forget turning the backlight off in the morning because I can't see it's on. Would be nice to not have to think about turning on and off all the time. It's a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.
DarConall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #490
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarConall View Post
Request: automatic brightness control

Automatic backlight warmth control is already there, but what about automatic brightness control too? I often forget turning the backlight off in the morning because I can't see it's on. Would be nice to not have to think about turning on and off all the time. It's a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.
DarConall,
I, too, in the daytime, don't realize tha the backlight is on from the night before. And even though my backlight is just at 3%, I'd rather not waste the battery.

I don't think we can have auto brightness control though on the current generation of readers. Not until they come with an ambient light sensor, as on smartphones.

That's why I made what I thought was a suggestion that can be implemented with our Kobos -- the brightness icon should look different when backlight is on.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #491
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is when I finish reading at night, I tun the light off before closing the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #492
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Pin a series or a collection to the Home screen

I'd like to see one particular series or collection pinned to the Home screen.
For me, that series/collection I want to pin is my "Top 10 Books I should read".
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #493
Crane
Crane began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
A patch which forces a refresh every page for .cbz files?

My Aura ONE is starting to show noticeable ghosting on .cbz files if I don't have it set to refresh every page. This isn't a problem if I'm reading a book instead of a comic though, and I have to either manually swap the refresh rate back when I change books, or waste battery life by refreshing every page even for plain text.

Would it be possible to force a refresh rate of once per page only for .cbz files?
Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #494
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Is it possible to set a secondary sort option? Even if it has to be hardcoded rather than adjustable. Currently, if I sort by author, the secondary sort is always title. I would prefer to sort by author, then by series, and only finally by title. I can always go to Authors > sort:series, so please don't go to any trouble over this patch request, but if it is an easy patch I would really like to have this option.
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #495
TheRealJohnAdams
Enthusiast
TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.TheRealJohnAdams has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
As a second question (I apologize for the double post), is there any way to control how aggressive the hyphenation is? I think I would prefer if my Kepubs were hyphenated slightly more aggressively. Or maybe that is something to address by using a better hyphenation dictionary?
TheRealJohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests