Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
NickelClock: Show time while reading

Introducing NickelClock, a mod that shows the kobo time widget while reading.

More clocks? I hear you groan. Yeah. But this one is a bit different from the others.

NickelClock adds the same time widget as used in the status bar to the header or footer while reading. This is in contrast to the other clocks which overlay an external clock on the screen.

If you are used to the rich customisation offered by NanoClock, this mod may not be for you. NickelClock does not allow you to change exact position, time format, font, battery level etc.

On the other hand, NickelClock should not have any stability issues on new devices, especially the Libra 2, So, if you're a Libra 2 owner missing your clock, might I suggest this one?

NickelClock works like the other "Nickel..." mods, it should be safe to use on any recent 4.x firmware, it will safely fail if the firmware is too old, and it survives firmware updates.

Installation and usage instructions are on the Github page. You can download the latest release from the latest release page.

I've attached some screenshots of the appearance and possible locations to position the clock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	header-left.png
Views:	1492
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	194602

Name:	header-right.png
Views:	1267
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	194603

Name:	footer-left.png
Views:	1064
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	194604

Name:	footer-right.png
Views:	957
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	194605

Last edited by sherman; 04-24-2024 at 12:46 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as a point of clarification, the clock is added to the reading header or footer, so you will need at least one of the header or footer enabled, and set the placement of the clock accordingly.
Advert
Old 06-27-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Introducing NickelClock, a mod that shows the kobo time widget while reading.

More clocks? I hear you groan. Yeah. But this one is a bit different from the others.

NickelClock adds the same time widget as used in the status bar to the header or footer while reading. This is in contrast to the other clocks which overlay an external clock on the screen.

If you are used to the rich customisation offered by NanoClock, this mod may not be for you. NickelClock does not allow you to change exact position, time format, font, battery level etc.

On the other hand, NickelClock should not have any stability issues on new devices, especially the Libra 2, So, if you're a Libra 2 owner missing your clock, might I suggest this one?

NickelClock works like the other "Nickel..." mods, it should be safe to use on any recent 4.x firmware, it will safely fail if the firmware is too old, and it survives firmware updates.

Installation and usage instructions are on the Github page. You can download the latest release from the latest release page.

I've attached some screenshots of the appearance and possible locations to position the clock.

Attachment 194602

Attachment 194603

Attachment 194604

Attachment 194605
Thank you very much.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:51 PM   #4
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Thank you very much.
You are most welcome.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #5
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works great. Thank you for doing this. A good alternative for us Libra 2 owners. I read every night and i need to limit it until 12:00 midnight because I go to work everyday. a displayed clock on the text helps in the reminder to stop.

If possible, and in future updates, can the clock be aligned with the margins of the text?

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-27-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2022, 12:42 AM   #6
sherman
Guru

Quote:
If possible, and in future updates, can the clock be aligned with the margins of the text?
Good news, yes, I've figured out how to move the clock close to the edge. Slightly bad news, if you bookmark a lot, the bookmark will cover the clock.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 AM   #7
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Good news, yes, I've figured out how to move the clock close to the edge. Slightly bad news, if you bookmark a lot, the bookmark will cover the clock.
Nice. i do not do bookmarks. And i guess the clock will be covered only if using the header/right config setting? I use highlights and adding to words though.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-28-2022 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:28 AM   #8
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive.

I've created a Pull Request with the new adjustable alignment feature.

Please test and let me know how you get on. Binary is available here to test (you will need a Github account to download that file).
Old 06-28-2022, 03:39 AM   #9
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive.

I've created a Pull Request with the new adjustable alignment feature.

Please test and let me know how you get on. Binary is available here to test (you will need a Github account to download that file).
Sorry but you are talking to a non-techy reader here

Am i suppose to just use this in the config setting?:

Code:
[General]
hor_margin=-1
placement=footer
position=left
and changed the values of "-1"?

I used 1 and -10 and nothing changed in the position of the clock?

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-28-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:52 AM   #10
sherman
Guru

Any value value below zero is treated the same as -1. You want values above zero to set a custom margin.

I might think about changing the -1 to auto to make it clearer what is going on.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:55 AM   #11
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Any value value below zero is treated the same as -1. You want values above zero to set a custom margin.

I might think about changing the -1 to auto to make it clearer what is going on.
What value should be used for a footer left position that is almost aligned with the left margin of the text?
Old 06-28-2022, 04:01 AM   #12
sherman
Guru

Quote:
What value should be used for a footer left position that is almost aligned with the left margin of the text?
You'll have to experiment. Try starting at 50, and iterating from there. The header/footer margin is completely independent of the main ebook text margin, there's no way to link the two.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:14 AM   #13
sherman
Guru

Ok, I've switched the settings file to use auto instead of -1 for automatic margins. Thanks for the feedback @Deobulakenyo

You can download the latest build from the most recent Actions run.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:37 AM   #14
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Works fantastic! Thank you, sherman!

However, the uninstall.txt might pop-up in the book list for those who have not set up exclude folders.

Any chance the .txt part can be omitted?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:39 AM   #15
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Works fantastic! Thank you, sherman!

However, the uninstall.txt might pop-up in the book list for those who have not set up exclude folders.

Any chance the .txt part can be omitted?
Oh, good catch. Yeah, I can change it.

I added the extension so it's easy for Windows users to read.