Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 03:18 AM   #1
elity
elity began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a way to (or a mod to) turn of page-turn via swiping?

I've just purchased a kobo Elipse to try it out and see if it has the features I need.

The first and most important reason why I want an e-reader is so that I can run my finger under the text as I read. I usually read and take notes on my laptop, but I can read faster when I'm moving my finger (and my eyes follow my finger).

Unfortunately, when I use my finger like this, that triggers the Kobo's page-turn function.

In the settings of the device, there's a"Page forward and back by:" option, which seems like exactly what I want. But astonishingly, the only options appear to be "Tapping or swiping" and "Swiping only." For some reason, there's no option for "Tapping only."

This seems like it _might_ be a a relatively shallow software hack. Possible there's just an existing variable in the firmware that just needs to be set to "true", while another variable is set to "false". (Or maybe not. It depends how they wrote it, obviously.)

Has someone written a mod that disables page-turning via swiping?
elity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:05 PM   #2
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
The regular Kobo reader has a setting for Tapping and Swiping vs Swiping only: Reading a book -> Top menu -> Gear icon -> Swipe up to second page. I don't know if there's a mod patch that adds Tapping only, though. KOReader lets you toggle each individually: Top menu -> Gear icon -> Taps and gestures -> Page turns. I don't know how how either behaves with other actions when touching the screen. You might need to edit many gestures to not collide.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You should ask in the kobopatch request thread. There are various touchscreen hacks already, so it's probably possible to create the one you want.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:43 PM   #4
elity
elity began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
The regular Kobo reader has a setting for Tapping and Swiping vs Swiping only: Reading a book -> Top menu -> Gear icon -> Swipe up to second page. I don't know if there's a mod patch that adds Tapping only, though. KOReader lets you toggle each individually: Top menu -> Gear icon -> Taps and gestures -> Page turns. I don't know how how either behaves with other actions when touching the screen. You might need to edit many gestures to not collide.
> KOReader lets you toggle each individually

Is KOReader is a software package that's an alternative the standard OS on the Kobo device? Is that right?
elity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
KOReader is open-source e-book reading software. You keep the Kobo OS (Nickel) installed, but you can switch over to KOReader whenever you want, usually via NickelMenu.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
firmware, modification, page turn gesture, swipe