Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #511
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@geek1011 used to have a nickel.yaml patch which could do this. It was called 'Change pop-up footnote font-family', but I think it stopped working in a fairly recent firmware, probably when Kobo changed the footnote pop-up widget to have the scrollbar slider down the right edge.

I don't know whether @geek1011 can shed more light?
I'm not too familiar with the CSS for that or for the new scrolled views.

And, @greatforum, I'm pretty sure that's not the CSS for it.

There's also a possibility it could be in one of the non-zlib streams too. I'll look into this when I get back to the Qt resource stuff after I finish with what I'm currently working on for NickelMenu (which is almost feature-complete now).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #512
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Is it possible to patch it so bringing up the dictionary automatically brings up the expanded view? This isn’t changing the size which I understand is locked down now, it’d be essentially triggering the request to go fullscreen from the initial call to bring the dictionary up.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #513
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Is it possible to patch it so bringing up the dictionary automatically brings up the expanded view? This isn’t changing the size which I understand is locked down now, it’d be essentially triggering the request to go fullscreen from the initial call to bring the dictionary up.
I'm afraid it's not something I know how to do.

I would point out that there'd be a downside. The ability to long-press a word in the dictionary pop-up definition to lookup a second word would be lost.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #514
greatforum
greatforum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I'm not too familiar with the CSS for that or for the new scrolled views.

And, @greatforum, I'm pretty sure that's not the CSS for it.

There's also a possibility it could be in one of the non-zlib streams too. I'll look into this when I get back to the Qt resource stuff after I finish with what I'm currently working on for NickelMenu (which is almost feature-complete now).
@geek1011, thanks for the reply! Yep, I'm happy to wait until you finish the NickelMenu work

Yeah, I definitely used the wrong file as input to cssextract-windows.exe. Which file should I use as the input?
greatforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #515
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
I am quite sure a lot of people asked for this already.
But I would really like to have a +/- contrast option when reading PDF / CBR files.
Freeshare software koreader has it already and it works just fine (but I prefer the original kobo software overall)
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #516
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
I'd like to see the total word count of books displayable in the Details tab for each book in My Books. That's the screen also accessible via the three dot menu for each book. I don't know if this is possible or not.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #517
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
I'd like to see the total word count of books displayable in the Details tab for each book in My Books. That's the screen also accessible via the three dot menu for each book. I don't know if this is possible or not.
I'd like that as well. And encourage everyone to tell Kobo directly what they want. The annoying thing is that they actually store the word count in the database for kepubs. That means it is somewhere they could retrieve it without that much work.

As it doesn't exist, I use a metadata plugboard in calibre to put the word count into the comments when the book is sent to the device. I know others put it elsewhere, such as the subtitle or appended to the author. That way it will be displayed in the book list.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #518
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'd like that as well. And encourage everyone to tell Kobo directly what they want. The annoying thing is that they actually store the word count in the database for kepubs. That means it is somewhere they could retrieve it without that much work.

As it doesn't exist, I use a metadata plugboard in calibre to put the word count into the comments when the book is sent to the device. I know others put it elsewhere, such as the subtitle or appended to the author. That way it will be displayed in the book list.
Great workaround. Now I wish I'd thought of that.

EDIT: Now that I wish I'd thought of it, I can't figure out how to do it. I got Count Pages working, fwiw. But via that or even manually entering the value of the word count for a given book, do you have a pointer to how I'd enter the appropriate syntax in the Metadata Plugboard window? I can move this question elsewhere if that's appropriate.

Then again, I can always enter the comments manually into the comments in the Calibre Edit Metadata window.

Last edited by mirage; 06-19-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #519
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Ooh, interesting. I'd love to have a column in calibre with just word count. I'll ask this in the calibre subforum.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #520
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Ooh, interesting. I'd love to have a column in calibre with just word count. I'll ask this in the calibre subforum.
Look at the plugin Count Pages.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #521
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Then again, I can always enter the comments manually into the comments in the Calibre Edit Metadata window.
That sounds like far too much effort.

Quote:
EDIT: Now that I wish I'd thought of it, I can't figure out how to do it. I got Count Pages working, fwiw. But via that or even manually entering the value of the word count for a given book, do you have a pointer to how I'd enter the appropriate syntax in the Metadata Plugboard window? I can move this question elsewhere if that's appropriate.
The following suggestions pre-suppose that the 2 new custom columns you set up in Count Pages are called #pages and #words. If you called them something else, edit accordingly. See screenshots for the sort of thing which can be done.
[Caveat: my Kobo's are kobopatched to death so the general GUI appearance will differ to defaults, but you should get the gist.]

[See image 1] If you want to prefix a pagecount/wordcount line to the Synopsis in Kobo's Book Details you could try something like the the following in your calibre metadata plugboard:
Code:
Source template: {#pages:|<div>Pages: |; }{#words:|Words: |</div><hr/>}{comments}
Destination field: comments

Or, if you wanted to append '(CP wordcount here)' to each book Title in the MyBooks lists then you could add something like this to your plugboard:
Code:
Source template: {title}{#words:| (|)}
Destination field: title
(Images 1 & 2 both show pagecount appended to book Title, but wordcount should also work.)

Or, if you think adding wordcount to the book Title is ugly, try customising your calibre Kobo driver, either KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended, on the Metadata tab, Subtitle field, to enable/customise the optional Subtitle template. This will give you an extra line between the book's Title and Series in all the Kobo book lists. Something like this:
Code:
{#words:|Words: |}
(Images 1 & 2 both show Subtitle. I've used Awards rather than wordcount, but you get the picture.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_plug1.png
Views:	294
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	180002   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_plug2.png
Views:	276
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	180003  

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-19-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarified the calibre Kobo driver names
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #522
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Use the Count Pages plugin. I do and I have a custom columns for the word count and page count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #523
mirage
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That sounds like far too much effort.

The following suggestions pre-suppose that the 2 new custom columns you set up in Count Pages are called #pages and #words. If you called them something else, edit accordingly. See screenshots for the sort of thing which can be done.
[Caveat: my Kobo's are kobopatched to death so the general GUI appearance will differ to defaults, but you should get the gist.]

[See image 1] If you want to prefix a pagecount/wordcount line to the Synopsis in Kobo's Book Details you could try something like the the following in your calibre metadata plugboard:
Code:
Source template: {#pages:|<div>Pages: |; }{#words:|Words: |</div><hr/>}{comments}
Destination field: comments

Or, if you wanted to append '(CP wordcount here)' to each book Title in the MyBooks lists then you could add something like this to your plugboard:
Code:
Source template: {title}{#words:| (|)}
Destination field: title
(Images 1 & 2 both show pagecount appended to book Title, but wordcount should also work.)

Or, if you think adding wordcount to the book Title is ugly, try customising your calibre driver (Metadata tab, Subtitle field) to enable/customise the optional Subtitle template which will give you an extra line between the book's Title and Series in all the Kobo book lists. Something like this:
Code:
{#words:|Words: |}
(Images 1 & 2 both show Subtitle. I've used Awards rather than wordcount, but you get the picture.)
This is terrific! Thank you. I couldn't get the syntax right on my attempts. Both of the first two work great. I'll probably pare it down to just one of them.

I'm a little lost on the third method because I can't find the location of the Metadata tab to enable the Subtitle template. It's probably right in front of me, but I'm not succeeding in tracking it down. Where is that?
Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #524
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
This is terrific! Thank you. I couldn't get the syntax right on my attempts. Both of the first two work great. I'll probably pare it down to just one of them.

I'm a little lost on the third method because I can't find the location of the Metadata tab to enable the Subtitle template. It's probably right in front of me, but I'm not succeeding in tracking it down. Where is that?
That one is in the Kobo Touch Extended Driver on the Metadata tab.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #525
mirage
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
That one is in the Kobo Touch Extended Driver on the Metadata tab.
Thanks for that.

Continuing, albeit somewhat off topic... does what's done in this plugboard with word count and page totals only get stored on the device version of the epub? Does it get stored on the computer version, too? I'm using "Any Device" as the target for this plugboard.

I'm hoping that when converting to kepub, when I do, that what I do with the plugboard persists. It does if I just change the .epub extension to .kepub, but that's probably only changing the engine that renders the book and loses the conversion benefits. When I use KTE, the third approach that jackie_w suggested should work. What about using kepubify? Would that lose what the plugboard provides? Or has it not even provided it at that point since I'd be converting before putting the file(s) onto the device?

Last edited by mirage; 06-19-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests