Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Any luck with the Fictionwise problem dowloadin past purchases?

I have about 25 past Fictionwise purchases I can't download right now and customer service was not very helpful. I have these converted to HTML on my computer and want the original eReader because I plan to convert them again using a better method. When I try to download, it redirects to a site called 'lightening source' which tells me I am in the wrong territory. When I click on the help of that site, it goes to Ingram. I tried using Hide My Ass and two other such sites and got an 'error downloading' message each time. Fictionwise customer support told me about three weeks ago that they are 'working on' it, but did not offer any timeline on when I might be able to download my books again.

I know others have had this problem but it sounds from the discussions like some of you were able to re-download your books? I am so mad about this. I just want to get in there, get my books one last time, and then never buy from Fictionwise again. Any ideas?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The last time I looked, all my ebooks, that had been unavailable on my bookshelf at
eReader.com (a Fictionwise site) are again downloadable. The "wrong territory"
reference suggests that part of the new agreement may require them to enforce a
geographic restriction that they weren't enforcing in the past.

At eReader.com you can download the books individually or by the order number,
which may include a number of books. You might try by the order number method.
They should have to provide the same support that was presented as part of what
you were originally purchasing, or some form of compensation. Or at least a claim on
their part that they are covered by some "subject to change" language in the original
offer.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The "wrong territory" reference suggests that part of the new agreement may require them to enforce a geographic restriction that they weren't enforcing in the past.
Which would be fine for a new purchase, but is completely unjust for a purchase that already happened.

I have never used eReader.com so I don't know how that works.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I had the same problem. It seems that fictionwise is still negotiating with some of the publishers and as they do, books become available. i started with about 2 dozen books that I had purchased that were unavailable, and now I'm down to about half a dozen. I haven't checked the various publishers involved, but pretty much that's what's going on. There are several threads about it here.

I agree, ficbot. I paid for these books before this agency thing was even thought of (seriously, anyway) and I think I should be able to download them.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Lightning Source is Ingram Digital (a distributor FW uses). I know Ingram is having a bunch of issues with the 'Agency 5', but IIRC folks have been having the problem you mention for a long time now. There was a huge thread around here where this was being discussed, but I can't remember if any solutions were found.

EDIT: Here's the thread I was thinking of. There are some things there folks got to work...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45206
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard

None of those worked for me. As I said in my first post, I tried hide my ass and all the other sites mentioned and it says 'an error occurred while trying to download.' Grrr. These are books I paid for. I am very mad about this.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Same with me, though my "cannot get" count is much lower. I have the same issue at Diesel and they told me that once the "Agency Five" issues were sorted, my books would be available for DL once again.

I have had NO feedback of a similar nature (actually, none at all) from Fictionwise.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
have you tried using the bulk download option to see if that allows you to download all the books in the bookshelf?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I have 1 of 6 out there that I can't download. I just grabbed a clean copy off the darknet.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
lcalvin
lcalvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
just noting on this thread as well - about 100 of 950 not available.
lcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
That's why I always keep the originals... I've not been back to Fictionwise since I spend the last of my Micropay at the time the bomb burst...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote