Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
That being said, if you want to use the Mobipocket Reader or Creator software, they are Windows only (according to the user manual). Not a deal breaker, but it's good to know
They are, but tompe here at MR has written a freely available PERL tool for creating MobiPocket files which is platform independent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #62
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Alexander et al, many thanks for an excellent compilation. This is gonna make it a lot easier to make my decision about which E Ink device to buy.

I think I really do need to give one of these devices a try and move away from backlit screens, since many of you here seem so enthusiastic about E Ink.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #63
Tblossom
Enthusiast
Tblossom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
After looking at the comparative prices in the above matrix, I understand one major reason why ebook readers haven´t become popular items. The prices listed are roughly what anyone who understands computers would probably pay for a fully functional computer, on ebay. In fact one of my friends said he would definitely buy an ebook reader, only capable of reading ebooks; when they start selling them at around $80.
Tblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #64
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblossom View Post
After looking at the comparative prices in the above matrix, I understand one major reason why ebook readers haven´t become popular items. The prices listed are roughly what anyone who understands computers would probably pay for a fully functional computer, on ebay. In fact one of my friends said he would definitely buy an ebook reader, only capable of reading ebooks; when they start selling them at around $80.
That same argument was used against computers over 30 years ago or even MP3 players less than 20 years ago. They were too expensive for what little they offered. As societal patterns began to change, more and more people bought them and the prices eventually fell as more and more people jumped on.

Will we see $80 ebook readers, maybe, but by the time we do you will be one of the last people without one

BTW (on topic) THANK YOU for this matrix. I have been on the fence about an ebook reader (oddly enough i don't like reading physical books, I love electronic and need something portable) and I have been looking around for something like this. I really appreciate your efforts.

.. oh .. and Hi..
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #65
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There was a time when cars were the "playthings of the rich." Today you need at least two cars to be considered "poor." Things change -- once digital cameras were an expensive folly and now 35mm film cameras are show up on the one dollar table at flea markets.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #66
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblossom View Post
I have wondered why people compare it to a computer? With an ebook reader you certain properties that you cannot get with a computer. So why are they directly comparable? You do not compare the price of for example food or clothes with the price of computers.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #67
mario40
Enthusiast
mario40 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no e-reader
Looking for the best e-reader for e-paper

Hello,
having several subscriptions for e-paper newspapers and journals I download this with their URL`s including user name and password in pdf format to my MacBook for reading.

As a "mobile" PC has several disadvantages to read in different places and having few basic informations about the e-book devices I like to ask you in this forum: what is the best e-paper reader actually?

As I am traveling a lot, for me it would be important to download at any place by WLAN the e-paper in pdf directly to the e-reader (if possible without using a PC between). In order to read, it would be nice to avoid any additional steps beside first-time-configuration for reading (the parameters to get optimal reading conditions).

Any help is very useful.

Thank you.
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #68
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario40 View Post
As I am traveling a lot, for me it would be important to download at any place by WLAN the e-paper in pdf directly to the e-reader (if possible without using a PC between).
The only device that can do what you want is the iLiad 2nd Edition (not the Book Edition, which does not have WiFi). See The Guardian 24 automatic download. The largest issue would be whether you can get a WiFi connection on the iLiad while on travel. I'm also not sure how readable the PDFs will be, although the iLiad is again the best EInk device for that.

There are alternative methods to get newspapers, e.g. via RSS feeds, that may work better on smaller EInk devices - but they require connection to a computer. The exception is the Kindle, in the US only, which can deliver selected newspapers directly to the device via Whispernet (Sprint data network).

I'm not sure everyone will read this thread, so you may want to start your own in this sub-forum to get more feedback on newspapers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #69
mario40
Enthusiast
mario40 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no e-reader
Looking for the best e-reader for e-paper -2

Hi Wallcraft,

thank you for your post. Please let me know how to start a own thread at the right place. I am not a experienced forum user. I am already happy if I can read and few times write a post in a forum :-)

There are few questions for me if the iLiad 2nd edition is the choice for e-paper reading:

Wi-Fi:
I am living and travelling in Europe. There are enough Wi-Fi/WLAN connection points (offices, Interent shops, HotSpots, Hotels, Restaurants, airports,….). Is it easy to connect with Wi-Fi with the iLiad2 like with a PC (open networks and secure networks with name and WEP/WPA password)?

The "Guardian24 automatic download" and downloading of e-paper in general:
I Iost to much time in the past with computers to write „just a little command“ or a „simple software modification“ to do something special. Reading this thread it remains me to the past.
May the time is not ready to use this e-readers for e-paper and not only for e-books? If I spend between 300 and 600 Euro for such a reader I expect to have a product ready for my use (off course I have to configure once the parameters for my use). It is very easy to purchase an e-book and to read it on this e-readers. It should be the same with subscribed e-papers if there is enough interest in the market (newspaper ad journals in the Internet as pdf files, where I enter my username and password to download pdf files and I read with Adobe´s software PDF Reader).

Quality of PDF` reading:
This is a important point. I have never seen or used a iLiad2. May you know if the iLiad2 is automaticly selecting the best page view (makeup of the page)? The size of a newspaper is different to the size of the e-reader display.

RSS feeds:
There is a simular question as with newspapers as e-paper. Using internationally such an e-reader to read RSS feeds, I can not limit to feeds offered by an special network. Like with a computer I like to select any RSS feed in the world (mainly all are free available).
With my iPhone I read any RSS feed in the world very simply. But we agree even a smartphone like the iPhone is a small PC with all disadvantages of LCD-based mobile computers.

Well, there are many questions and issues to use e-readers for e-paper. The e-readers with e-ink are so far made basically for e-books. No question, e-readers also a very useful tools to read e-papers.
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #70
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario40 View Post
Please let me know how to start a own thread at the right place.
Goto the Which one should I buy? forum page and click on "NEW THREAD" near the top (and bottom) of the page.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #71
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Is it possible to update the chart with the bebook and Iliad Book edition?
Maybe I'll try it out myself!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Is it possible to update the chart with the bebook and Iliad Book edition?
Maybe I'll try it out myself!
There are both in the hardware comparison chart in the wiki. The BeBook is the same as the Hanlin V3 so there is no need for a separate entry.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It does - well indirectly, its Windows software converts text, RTF, and PDF to BBeB prior loading the text onto the device.
That is true for DOC but not true for text, RTF and PDF. The Sony can read those directly without conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #74
dogwalker55
dogwalker55 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Possible Decision - Cybook???

After reading, reading, reading, I think the one that sounds the best to me is the Cybook. I am not very techinical --- just enough to get by and sometimes do some impressive stuff but I have read so much that I am confusing myself.

Mobipocket seems to be the most universal format for e-books. I am very leary of the Kindle because I don't like the idea of being beholden to any one source for material. Amazon can price however they want and if they're the only place to go, not good.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have a Cybook? Pros, cons? Matrix was OMG helpful, thank you so much.
dogwalker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #75
dogwalker55
dogwalker55 began at the beginning.

Device: none
more questions

I see that .pdf format books are way available too. On sites like www.worldlibrary.net. Could I read those on my Cybook if I bought it?
dogwalker55 is offline   Reply With Quote