Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Are audiobooks fair game? I get in at least 2 hours of audiobook listening during my commute everyday.
It's your challenge; it's whatever you want.

Me, I'm inconsistent. I don't think I read audiobooks; I listen to them. Reading's a different process. But once I'm done, I count it as a book read.

No petty mind, mine!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My pleasure reading for the past few years has been overwhelmingly audiobooks.
Advert
Old 12-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I count audio books just like an eBook. And I often read them as WhisperSync books anyway.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've decided on my goal for 2017!

After multiple goals of previous years, I'm going to have just one goal in 2017:

To end the year with fewer unread books.

I will, as usual, also track the books I buy (or get for free) during the year, but I'm not going to have any spending goals this year. Although to succeed in my 2017 goal I'm clearly going to have to buy fewer books than I read!

I'm also going to try to post slightly longer descriptions/reviews of the books I read, but this is just an intention, not a goal!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

After multiple goals of previous years, I'm going to have just one goal in 2017:

I will, as usual, also track the books I buy (or get for free) during the year, but I'm not going to have any spending goals this year. Although to succeed in my 2017 goal I'm clearly going to have to buy fewer books than I read!

I'm also going to try to post slightly longer descriptions/reviews of the books I read, but this is just an intention, not a goal!
Finally, a goal you may be able to keep.
I do not set any goals especially on spending, for reading. I know I would not be able to keep them.
Apache
Advert
Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I did not read enough this last year, but I just bought a new Kindle, so the plan is to get plenty of use out of it! Some preliminary brainstorming:

Titles I've started and stopped over the years and will finally complete:
  • Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
  • In One Person - John Irving
  • The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith/J. K. Rowling
  • And Another Thing... - Eoin Colfer
  • Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Miscellaneous to read:
  • Avenue of Mysteries - John Irving
  • The Spine of the World - R. A. Salvatore
  • A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
  • David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

-HM
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to keep the same overall goal of 120, which is really just a benchmark.

Since I failed so spectacularly this year, I'm reducing my subgoals from five to only two. My two topics will be Antebellum America (history) and Classics, especially the Victorian novelists. I'll exercise some latitude in regard to both; antebellum will include the colonial period (ante-antebellum ) and I can go forward or back from Vic's reign, within reason.

Usually I allocate half my benchmark to my goals, but I'm cutting that way back to only a quarter for next year with 15 in each category, especially as the books will be longish. I will reassess mid-year, and if either I'm getting bored or it's going spectacularly well, I may add in a half-year challenge for a little more variety.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We already half way to last year's number of participants. Welcome everyone!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Let me amend that slightly.

To end the year with fewer unread books than I had at the start of 2016.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #25
valhen
valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.

Device: kobo aura one, sony prs-t2
My goal on goodreads is usually 52 books. In previous years, I've had an hour commute daily and always blew past that goal. However, I've moved and have a new job with a very different commute. So we'll see.

My sub-goal is to read at least 6 books by writers of color. I read books that are the "same" too frequently and I want to branch out a bit more.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #26
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I tend to review every book that I read. What is the best way to put those here? As links, post somewhere else, or what?
Old 12-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I tend to review every book that I read. What is the best way to put those here? As links, post somewhere else, or what?
I post mine as links. I review my books on Goodreads and will use the title of the book as my link in my challenge thread here. This coming year, I may use my rating of the book as the link to the review instead.

Example: Flashforward or Flashforward: 3-Stars
Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
You could put them in your post in the list thread insider SPOILER tags, or just include a link to them if you normally post them somewhere else.

You could also post them in the Hey! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My numbers goal is 60 books, which is a little under my yearly average. But my substantive goal is to continue to diversify. I want to read more of the dead tree books my wife purchases and I want to read more "across the aisle" in genres or subjects I have avoided in the past.

I disagree with a shocking number of people on many major issues, and I want to take some of my reading time to listen to the other side.
I also have a sub-ish goal - keeping reliable tracking.

This year, I am using youtuber Let's Read's massive book tracking spreadsheet. It is one place to track format, price, and many other things that I am interested in. It also spits out some really nice charts. If anyone else wants to have a look, you can find a link to his spreadsheet in google sheets HERE and a video walking through the features HERE.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I also have a sub-ish goal - keeping reliable tracking.

This year, I am using youtuber Let's Read's massive book tracking spreadsheet. It is one place to track format, price, and many other things that I am interested in. It also spits out some really nice charts. If anyone else wants to have a look, you can find a link to his spreadsheet in google sheets HERE and a video walking through the features HERE.
There's no way I'd duplicate all the info in my calibre database in a spreadsheet.

However, adding 'date started' and 'date finished' custom columns to calibre might be a good idea. I do have that info, just in posts at MobileRead. And I could start with new books in January.

It might be interesting to be able to sort my read books by date read.

Hmmm.....
Closed Thread