Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #46
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Those few comments makes me feel that indeed the device is slow but can do the basic things, i.e. open any kind of book. I wonder if it's due to unoptimized reference software or just hard specs limitation.

Nonetheless I will not risk buying it. I have made my mind to buy Onyx.
Yes, it seems that the device can open and read ebooks and PDFs well enough and there is a micro sd card slot for additional storage so one could load a fair number of books onto the device. However, the limited specs would seem to affect one's ability to install and use a host of other apps...

So if one just wants to read books on a large ereader, it might prove sufficient...

However, even if that were my sole purpose for wanting the device, I would worry about the level and quality of service that would be provided afterwards. Certainly the way the campaign has been managed doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to manage the inevitable problems which will arise once people start testing out their devices.

And it seems that a few more user comments have been posted on the Indiegogo webpage. Again, they don't inspire a great deal of confidence:

Quote:
David Feig 16 hours ago
My initial impression of the device so far is limited to some simple questions—are you going to provide any support for how to install amazon kindle, other programs, how to log into the e-reader store? I tried to make a login and it didn’t work now says “failed to make login.” This is not an encouraging start. What about android 5.0 as in the stretch goals? if you are selling a device you need to provide some basic support and troubleshooting.

David Feig 17 hours ago
is there a firmware upgrade ? it says one is available but can’t connect to the url

kkeil75 17 hours ago
David Feig, the settings app did crash a number of times for me in the beginning but seems to have settled down. I now get every now and then the message “Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.” It usually happens when first starting on the Settings’ drop-down menu. The more I work with the e-Reader, the more it seems to settle down. The e-reader seems to have a short-lived shifting sound but nothing rolling or sliding a long ways. Thank you for the report on the Kindle app.

David Feig 17 hours ago
I got my reader today! Uh, when I move the reader slightly to change the angle of holding the device, I hear something sliding internally. What might that be? And the settings app keeps crashing. And I can bring up the play store to select the kindle app but it won’t install.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #47
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And yet another user comment:

Quote:
Feng-Li Lin
1 hour ago

I play around the e reader, install a couple of stuffs and read PDFs. Everything seems fine. However, at some moment when safaring the E reader store, the screen freeze and the e reader just stucks. I cannot reboot the system. Can anyone know how to bring the machine back to life?
Not encouraging at all.

Also not encouraging is that they are actively deleting all requests for money back from their Indiegogo webpage. And, yet, they are leaving other simple questions unanswered. So it is not a case of them not having visited the webpage recently.

Now, it could be that those individuals were offered their money back before their comment was deleted, but somehow methinks otherwise as the total amount of money raised on their campaign webpage has not changed. It did use to change when backers applied for refunds before the official closing date of the campaign.

It will be interesting to see what comments emerge over the next few days as more and more people receive their devices and start playing with them.
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The ultimate Reader is the ultimate WASTE of money.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #49
Question Mark
Wizard

Another user comment surfaces...

Quote:
David Feig
3 hours ago

Just to confirm for backers and those using the ereader now. I was able to use google play store to install amazon kindle app and access my books. It took a very long time to download and install—not sure if an issue with the slow cpu chip, the lack of memory or a wifi issue. But once set up it did work.
The software on this is not like a typical android tablet—there are limits. Some more information or a tech support website would be really helpful.
Not promising. Really speaks to the lack of customer support as of yet. Indeed, they seem to be experiencing difficulties just getting tracking numbers out to people.

Still find it hard to believe that this device was produced with just 4GB of internal memory. That may be sufficient if you just intend to read books since it does also have a micro SD slot, but it seems wholly inadequate if you are hoping to install any apps which this device was touted as being able to handle.

Hopefully, somebody soon will publish an independent video review of the device in action.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #50
Question Mark
Wizard

And another user comments about something loose moving around inside the device... Yikes!

Quote:
Naga Narayanaswamy
31 minutes ago

Just received the box. My first impression was a bummer. It is shaking inside. Some parts are loose or I feared worst it may not even power on. But it powered on and I am charging now. Significant sound of a metal click-clack when i move the tablet even slightly up or down. Lesson learnt never order from these early funded programs. Will have a detailed review in a week..
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #51
Question Mark
Wizard

Well, it looks like at least two people have been able to back out of their pledges for the campaign as the total funds raised has recently fallen.

Don't know if those were new backers frightened off by the comments of users which are gradually emerging and who took advantage of the grace period usually given to back out of a campaign commitment, or if they were previous backers who had requested and were granted refunds.

It will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

Although, from the comments, it seems that some users currently seem satisfied with their devices, others seem very disappointed and are highlighting some worrisome issues...

What's most noticeable in all of this is the resounding silence on the part of those running the campaign. Doesn't bode well for after purchase service... With so many interested people on the sidelines watching, what a great way to sink any potential interest in a future campaign.

Last edited by Question Mark; 02-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #52
Deekin
Deekin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Somebody found a manual for this device:

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2883333
Deekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #53
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekin View Post
Somebody found a manual for this device:

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2883333
More of a quick start guide, really. Still, one wonders why it wasn't preloaded onto the device or the url prominently posted on the webpage... Of course, it could be that the guide describes a generic model and the actual device in question is configured somewhat differently.

On another note, it seems that their campaign has attracted a few more backers as their numbers are now healthier than they previously were.

It makes the mind boggle what with the comments that are currently beginning to trickle out. However, I suppose that there are those with considerably more disposable cash to throw about than I have... Good luck to them. Never been much of a gambler myself.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #54
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
It makes the mind boggle what with the comments that are currently beginning to trickle out. However, I suppose that there are those with considerably more disposable cash to throw about than I have...
Reading the bunch of your comments on this forum lately it must be really painful for you.
On higher note please have a look at one of the first positive reviews of this ereader:
here
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #55
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Reading the bunch of your comments on this forum lately it must be really painful for you.
On higher note please have a look at one of the first positive reviews of this ereader:
here
Painful? Not in the least. Kept my money in my pocket.

Disappointed? Very. I would really like to have seen a large reliable Android eink device with touch screen capabilities come to market. Seems that I will have to wait a little longer or settle for an Onyx Max.

Flabbergasted? Completely. With any new product, there are bound to be some birthing pains. There will inevitably be a few hiccups as bugs in the software and hardware are discovered. But it seems that the campaign organizers are experiencing significant difficulties just getting emails with tracking numbers to their backers. How will they cope with faulty devices and bugs in the software?

Yes, there have been some positive comments on this device as I in fact mentioned. However, to date, the negative comments have been greater and significant. And here are some more just in:

Quote:
rafepurnell 2 hours ago
thanks for getting me a tracking number. I have been checking my email accounts daily. inbox.. junk etc.. only have it now thanks to you direct messaging me.
it might be worthwhile you checking your out bound mail. it seems clear they are not being received.
even searching through my mail accounts loaded with the tracking number there is no mail.
I really do think better coms would improve the feedback here.
sitting tight now for receipt of my new rattle.

Jannicke Andersen 2 hours ago
Hi! Which company do you use to ship the tablets? I look in my junk folder for the e-mail, and find strange looking e-mails from FedEx and don´t want to click on viruses… What is the address of the sender of the e-mail with tracking nr? My order ID is 445, can I expect it to come before Easter?

Patrick Fontaine 3 hours ago
I’m having a lot of problems with the ereader App Store , I’m trying to download the kindle app, an the app keeps on crashing, any ideas ?

Artem Rakcheev 4 hours ago
Hi,
Thanks to everyone for taking time to share their experiences!
@peter An earlier comment implied that order id 307 was shipped out already, so can I (id 306) also expect some news soon (no mail till today).
Also it would be good to get a statement on the loose parts mentioned in earlier comments.

Naga Narayanaswamy 4 hours ago
@ken, @elijah : how do you know there is a firmware upgrade? and what guarantee it will not brick. the android seem too fragile. i cannot get into account settings page or many times settings and it crashes.

John Peterson 9 hours ago
Yeah, mine has the loose component as well, it appears that the glue on the back has let go of whatever is floating around in there.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #56
wolven
wolven began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
13.3 Inch Android

I have one of these devices. The biggest problem with it at the moment is the OS stability and the failure to keep the Play Store running. I have resorted to downloading older APK versions manually and transporting via SD Card to get the toy limping along. I think its going to take time as Goodreader are behaving as per their reputation from what I can see.

This is my experience to date. I thought you guys might be interested.

-----------
I have tried various versions of the google app store and various versions of google play services. All crash before I am able to perform updates or installs (have now given up with this)
I have found the Dolphin Browser from the GoodReader app store to be solid and reliable.
Amazon Kindle 4.8.0.188 works well for me so far
Evernote 7.2 seems to work ok and takes notes etc (I need to use it hard to test it). I wil try more recent versions.
Nova launcher is fun as the animations can be shut off but it really need a White theme (still looking)

As I now have a machine I can use I might try some other fun apps plus some productivity.

When the reader is running... ie between crashed... it is a great piece of kit. I do hope that the netronix team or goodereader can get the os stable and the Play Store functioning reliably.

Question.. does anyone have the Google Play Store working reliably?

The forum is a great idea but tricky to work with... and it seems to be down right now... hence reporting here.

Throughout this whole campaign the GoodEreader team have been really bad at updating. I am seeing the same consistent behaviour in the support threads. Some very simply question are not getting answered. This worries me.

The simplest of those questions is.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade to android 5.0? I wish to also ask.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade at all?
------------------

I think i can piece together a working useful machine with the right APK's. Bit lame but I can use it for what it was bought for. and a bit more.
wolven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #57
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolven View Post
This is my experience to date. I thought you guys might be interested.
Thank you for sharing, I'm interested indeed. I have already bought Onyx Boox Max and so far I can see that the inconvenience of using the pen is nothing compared to inconvenience of device instability. My thought was that if the Good-E-reader will prove to be a good device I may donate my current Boox and treat myself with the 'better' device.

PS. both devices seems to have almost equal hardware type. Have you tried flashing Onyx firmware?
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #58
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post

PS. both devices seems to have almost equal hardware type. Have you tried flashing Onyx firmware?
Don't flash Onyx software to Netronix device. It will brick it for sure! Hardware is quite different. Onyx uses another kind of digitizer in Max, Max is equipped with Bluetooth, audio output, special hardware buttons, more RAM and storage space (also very different configuration as Netronix). Onyx also uses different screen waveforms (developed by Onyx), which would not work with Netronix version of screen.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #59
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolven View Post
Throughout this whole campaign the GoodEreader team have been really bad at updating. I am seeing the same consistent behaviour in the support threads. Some very simply question are not getting answered. This worries me.

The simplest of those questions is.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade to android 5.0? I wish to also ask.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade at all?
I really wanted this device to be a success. That's why I kept holding off on the Onyx Max. It was very tempting to become a backer of the campaign. However, the way the campaign was handled really made me question what would happen after the device was delivered.

The ensuing mess seems to be confirming my earlier suspicions. They seem very good at deleting emails, but not so good at responding to simple questions. And still the mess continues:

Quote:
Luan Nguyen 33 minutes ago

I have claimed for refund for a long time but still not receive any feedback. Peter, please solve my case ASAP

rafepurnell 6 hours ago

Interesting… Peter claims emails and updates not being received is rare. Just caught up with this comments list. It seems that was a lie. I tried getting a refund and was ignored. Eventually a device arrived. Still not sure it was worth the wait. The lack of communication is still bugging me.

Kevin Harrison 10 hours ago

Why have I not received the reader! I was one of the earliest backers. I’ve been more than patient. Please refund if you’re not able to deliver.

Leander Ladewig 13 hours ago

Hi!
My order id is 251. When will my order be shipped out?
Thanks!

TOMOYUKI KOBAYASHI 24 hours ago

Hi Peter, I sent an email about repair. Have you recived e-mail? Could you repair my e-reader? Thanks.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments
Now if only Canada Customs would hurry up and release my Max so that I could start playing with it...
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #60
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Don't flash Onyx software to Netronix device. It will brick it for sure! Hardware is quite different. Onyx uses another kind of digitizer in Max, Max is equipped with Bluetooth, audio output, special hardware buttons, more RAM and storage space (also very different configuration as Netronix). Onyx also uses different screen waveforms (developed by Onyx), which would not work with Netronix version of screen.
Wow, many details. I thought that apart from added or removed peripherals (bluetooth, touch screen, etc) both devices use the same SoC and the same e-ink screen so everything is there designed by the manufacturers of those components with no space for customization. But of course one might expect that nothing good will come from flashing random firmware on your device, it was a silly note from my side.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad