Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #316
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunisup View Post
So I have tried to jailbreak my kindle pp3 but didn't go as expected

I have opened the front panel (be sure you have the right tools otherwhise you risk to damage your kindle, don't use cheep opening tools)

The problem is, I have destroyed the firmware connectors (rx-tx), I have used an electronic soldering gun and after I have melted the cables on connectors the cables depleted with the connectors on them (so no more jailbreak for my kindle, don't use an electronic soldering gun but use some plasteline and carefully somehow attach the cables on the connectors, also you won't be able to melt anything on the voltage conector because is unstickable!)
If you do not need the cables hooked up permanently, there are serial port spots on the back of the motherboard.

I had the same problem, accidentally burned off the TX and RX pins on the front.

They are tricky to use because of the stuff on the back of the screen, and it is hard to put the motherboard back into place.

I would recommend using some kind of conductive glue or similar, so you can remove it easier when done jailbreaking.

Here was my post on doing that.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=40

the spots on the back are bigger than the ones on the front, I was able to solder to them much easier.

Last edited by coplate; 01-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #317
thesunisup
thesunisup began at the beginning.

Device: pp3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you do not need the cables hooked up permanently, there are serial port spots on the back of the motherboard.

I had the same problem, accidentally burned off the TX and RX pins on the front.

They are tricky to use because of the stuff on the back of the screen, and it is hard to put the motherboard back into place.

I would recommend using some kind of conductive glue or similar, so you can remove it easier when done jailbreaking.

Here was my post on doing that.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=40

the spots on the back are bigger than the ones on the front, I was able to solder to them much easier.
Cheers for that info
thesunisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #318
pipik52846
pipik52846 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can I use this to downgrade a voyage with 5.8.9.2?Without JBed...
pipik52846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #319
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipik52846 View Post
Can I use this to downgrade a voyage with 5.8.9.2?Without JBed...
All touch screen Kindles are same-same-same (except, of course, for the filenames).
With the exception of the two Oasis models, no one has documented where the serial port connections are at.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #320
thesunisup

Crazy Question

I know the memory chips are sticked on the motherboard, but I also know they can be replaced with the right tools, would be posible to put the chip from a jailbreaked voyage on a oasis ?! A jailbraked Oasis sounds like FUN!
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #321
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know the memory chips are sticked on the motherboard, but I also know they can be replaced with the right tools, would be posible to put the chip from a jailbreaked voyage on a oasis ?! A jailbraked Oasis sounds like FUN!
Unless someone discovers the serial port connections (or an alternative) on the Oasis models, that may be the only way to jail break them (swap memory with memory that has the jb pre-installed).

In answer to your question - most likely not good idea to swap between models.

We do have a thread here describing how to replace the memory chip.

What is possible is to put the files on a brand new memory chip.
(Which is how it is done in the factory, the chips are programmed before being soldered to the mother board).
And people who have the special tools to replace the chip, often have the chip programmer that is required to program them "on the tape".

On the Oasis-1 my back-up script provides the repair person with all the files they require.
That back-up script has not (yet) been updated to handle the new organization of the Oasis-2.

Note:
The repair person has to make a copy of the owner and device specific information stored on the original chip before removing it.
(Unless they ran the backup script on the original chip, which requires that the device be jail broken, so why replace the chip? )

The big problem in the case of the two Oasis models is the amount of glue used.
Amazon used enough glue to make them nearly impossible to open without damage.
Worse than the K4

Last edited by knc1; 02-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #322
thesunisup

Opening Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unless someone discovers the serial port connections (or an alternative) on the Oasis models, that may be the only way to jail break them (swap memory with memory that has the jb pre-installed).

In answer to your question - most likely not good idea to swap between models.

We do have a thread here describing how to replace the memory chip.

What is possible is to put the files on a brand new memory chip.
(Which is how it is done in the factory, the chips are programmed before being soldered to the mother board).
And people who have the special tools to replace the chip, often have the chip programmer that is required to program them "on the tape".

On the Oasis-1 my back-up script provides the repair person with all the files they require.
That back-up script has not (yet) been updated to handle the new organization of the Oasis-2.

Note:
The repair person has to make a copy of the owner and device specific information stored on the original chip before removing it.
(Unless they ran the backup script on the original chip, which requires that the device be jail broken, so why replace the chip? )

The big problem in the case of the two Oasis models is the amount of glue used.
Amazon used enough glue to make them nearly impossible to open without damage.
Worse than the K4
If you soften the glue with an hair-dryer and use a vaccum sucker there should be no damage isn't ?!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #323
knc1
Going Viral

Try it, report back.
If you waste a $300 device, NOF...
(Not Our Fault)

Last edited by knc1; 02-03-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #324
thesunisup

One more question

If is so damn hard to open it maybe Amazon never intended to make it repairable so there is no point for serial connectors, but what if the chip can be reprogrammed thru the mini-usb port(with some secret commands you can activate that feature), was that ideea debated ?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #325
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
If is so damn hard to open it maybe Amazon never intended to make it repairable so there is no point for serial connectors, but what if the chip can be reprogrammed thru the mini-usb port(with some secret commands you can activate that feature), was that ideea debated ?
I'm convinced that this is likely. I created a thread a while back that nobody posted in, but I ended up returning my new oasis because I could not handle the color gradient with the led on the side.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291858

But if you know anyone who has android flash cables, or similar things, feel free to send them at this thread.

you can also check this thread where we have reported some things that DON'T work on the paperwhite, just for some light reading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289546
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #326
knc1
Going Viral

And on any thread here, you can use the "thread tools" dropdown box in the blue bar to subscribe to the thread.
Note: In your CP, the notifications may have defaulted to "once a week", and for this type of purpose you might want to set it to "immediate".

And if really paranoid, that something might be said you do not want to miss, hook-up a IFTTT watcher.

And if you want to watch the entire forum (just this one, #150) for a mention of ...
Well, whatever you want to watch for ...

Set your feed-reader (or IFTTT) to follow:
https://www.mobileread.com/feeds/150_rss20.xml
(and if interested in some other forum, I am sure you can find where the forum number goes in that URL).

One possible starting point:
https://ifttt.com/applets/147561p-rss-feed-to-email

Also, this might help:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2359...er-recipe.html
(yeah, like anyone would want to get an SMS on their 'phone whenever their firmware version was mentioned anywhere on this forum)

FeedRinse:
http://www.feedrinse.com/index-old.php

= = = = =

Enough of this sh.., I am going to crawl back into my cave under the back stairs.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #327
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
I just jailbroke my new voyage. 5.8.10

Even following my own instructions it was a minor challenge. Took a while to figure out which jailbreak files to use. Nijule's writing is like a mad scientist.

Pin method worked out pretty good though. It's a little tricky to get them to stay in place, but 10x better than trying to solder.

If I'm ever unbanned i will update the original posts.
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #328
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
I just jailbroke my new voyage. 5.8.10

Even following my own instructions it was a minor challenge. Took a while to figure out which jailbreak files to use. Nijule's writing is like a mad scientist.

Pin method worked out pretty good though. It's a little tricky to get them to stay in place, but 10x better than trying to solder.

If I'm ever unbanned i will update the original posts.
We (the users) have determined that this site's software does not allow the transfer of ownership of post(s).
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #329
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
guys, i'm setting up the serial, the hardware is almost ready. but i can't find how to flash new firmware. my pw3 is bricked, how can i put the fw on it?
thanks
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #330
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Jim's Board doesn't seem to be available currently, is there another recommended option?

Would something based on FT232RL work fine? I assume it would, as long as it's possible to set it to 1.8v...
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak