Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #26896
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sounds like a good recommendation for our April It's All Relative theme, gmw.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #26897
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sounds like a good recommendation for our April It's All Relative theme, gmw.
Yes, that is a possibility. The story fits that theme on multiple fronts.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #26898
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Read the novella All Systems Red by Martha Wells. Apparently, this will be a series with more installments expected this year. I liked the theme and the writing was witty and precise. Lots of android introspection but not enough to throw me out of the story. This wasn't bad at all. Rated B- [4 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #26899
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Allastair Reynolds - Merlin's gun was latest one for me
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #26900
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I seem to be a bit behind here, and worse, the Olympics are interfering with progress! So, I finished Into the Fire, which was good, but perhaps not quite at the top of her game. Still, an author I am always willing to read on release day.

Currently reading the second book in the WWW trilogy from Robert J. Sawyer. Not going as well as the first, I think I'm getting tired of the main character. OTOH, it's not going _badly_, just not as well as the first book. Perhaps a bit of middle-book-of-the-trilogy blahs. The third is available at the library, so I'll likely read it just to finish things off.
Finished. Doing a quick re-read of Passing, the New Leaf Book Club book for this month to remind myself of the details, and then on to book three of the WWW trilogy from Robert J. Sawyer, Wonder.
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #26901
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Neogenesis by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

(And I'm still reading the Analog)
And I also (unusually) started another book - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I got this on offer last year for £0.49.

However, I find the style and predictable disaster-movie plot too dull, despite the great idea at the heart of it. Abandoned.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #26902
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Just finished the Annotated Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. As is the case with many classics, the description of the book leaves me uninterested but I enjoyed the book itself.

I am three chapters into Pride and Prometheus by John Kessel, a sequel to Pride and Prejudice. Mary Bennett, verging on spinsterhood, meets the enigmatic Victor Frankenstein. The chapters alternate between Mary, Victor, and the Creature. Very good so far, as I would expect from Kessel.

Last edited by BenG; 02-16-2018 at 01:20 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #26903
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Warcross by Marie Lu. Very entertaining contemporary Sci-Fi. I'll be interested in reading a sequel if it ever comes out.

Speaking of sequels fresh out, I have the third "Disrupted Magic" book recently published and Vatta's Peace on the shortlist, but I also want to read a book by Dave Mustaine and I should start The Old Man and the Sea for the New Leaf Book Club soon...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #26904
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
... and I should start The Old Man and the Sea for the New Leaf Book Club soon...
It's short. You'll devour it. Or at least, I did. I'm holding off until right before the discussion, since I've already read it in the last few years, so just want to refresh my memory.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #26905
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Old Man and the Sea. Now it's time for my regularly scheduled entertainment and edification.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 AM   #26906
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Neogenesis by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

(And I'm still reading the Analog)
Quote:
And I also (unusually) started another book - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I got this on offer last year for £0.49.

However, I find the style and predictable disaster-movie plot too dull, despite the great idea at the heart of it. Abandoned.
Finished Neogenesis. Excellent. With many series, the plot starts to slow down as the series progresses. Not so with the Liaden Universe.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #26907
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just ordered a used copy of a book I couldn't find in ebook form: Alien Earth and Other Stories by Roger Elwood. I haven't read "Alien Earth" in probably 50 years, but this weird tale of a man who takes a drug that alters the way he perceives time has stuck with me ever since (although for years I couldn't remember the name of the author or the title). I recall him painting a vivid picture of how the world would look were our metabolism slowed down to that of plants. I'm looking forward to seeing this one in my mailbox.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #26908
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just ordered a used copy of a book I couldn't find in ebook form: Alien Earth and Other Stories by Roger Elwood. I haven't read "Alien Earth" in probably 50 years, but this weird tale of a man who takes a drug that alters the way he perceives time has stuck with me ever since (although for years I couldn't remember the name of the author or the title). I recall him painting a vivid picture of how the world would look were our metabolism slowed down to that of plants. I'm looking forward to seeing this one in my mailbox.
Seems an interesting plot. Although I don't buy print books anymore, I'll be waiting for your comments once you have read it.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #26909
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Shadow Hunt by Melissa F. Owen. Yes, I plowed through it short order, but it was definitely worth the reading to me.

I think Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon will be next.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #26910
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished. Doing a quick re-read of Passing, the New Leaf Book Club book for this month to remind myself of the details, and then on to book three of the WWW trilogy from Robert J. Sawyer, Wonder.
Well, Wonder wasn't really wonderful. OK, but no better. I'd say 3 stars at best. I didn't want to abandon it, but it was close. This trilogy really didn't live up to the promise of the first book.

Next up, Devices and Desires, the 8th Adam Dalgliesh book from P.D. James. This, at least, I know I can count on!