Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Mobi Support in Kobo?

Does Kobo Mini or Kobo Glo support .mobi books? I have checked the web, some state that Mini supports mobi and Glo doesn't, while some would state the exact opposite. Can someone who owns one of these devices share some insight?
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While they do support mobi, it's not a very robust support, and does not support DRM'd mobis.

You'd be advised to convert the content into ePubs via calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Thanks for the reply PeterT. I was talking about the .mobis I got from my Kindle, and don't feel like converting so many books It is good that they support it, and like I said I will use them only for reading leftover books.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Trust me; using calibre would take no time at all to do the conversion
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Not all Mobi files work on my Mini, and those which work haven't been flawless so far.
When it's not working, all the text is underlined, for instance.
Regarding the flawless part, it means that once in a while words appear as if I was reading the modification process. It's hard to explain... Let's take an example. The sentence is "it's a fine day", but it was "it is a fine day" before, I will see "it'sis a fine day".
When I look that sentence in Calibre, it is written properly.

I haven't tried that many Mobi files, so I'm sure a lot of them are rendered well.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most Kindle books are going to have DRM, and thus won't work on a Kobo.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just convert them with calibre. It usually takes about 7 seconds to convert each book for me, and if you leave it running overnight you can convert hundreds without having to pay any attention to it whatsoever.

Although if you bought them from the Kindle Store, you can't read them with anything but a registered Amazon device. Unless you use deDRM applications, which, if you own the books, are arguably legal under Fair Use Policy (depending on who you ask.) To find out more, google "apprentice alf"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Most Kindle books are going to have DRM, and thus won't work on a Kobo.

Use calibre and a plug-in and your life will be changed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
u238110
Connoisseur
u238110 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura, N514KUBKKEP, 4.7.10.413
I just tried uploading a .mobi to my new Kobo (Kobo Aura (N514KUBKKEP, firmware 4.7.10.413)) and nothing happened in Calibre when I clicked Send to device. Calibre had prompted me to auto convert my ebook, but I declined. Calibre didn't tell me why it was giving me such a proposition or what format it would convert to, so why should I have?

Since sending the ebook to my device did nothing, I tried Calibre's proposed auto convert and it was revealed that this feature was set to convert the ebook to .epub and this process successfully uploaded the ebook to my device.
u238110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by u238110 View Post
I just tried uploading a .mobi to my new Kobo (Kobo Aura (N514KUBKKEP, firmware 4.7.10.413)) and nothing happened in Calibre when I clicked Send to device. Calibre had prompted me to auto convert my ebook, but I declined. Calibre didn't tell me why it was giving me such a proposition or what format it would convert to, so why should I have?

Since sending the ebook to my device did nothing, I tried Calibre's proposed auto convert and it was revealed that this feature was set to convert the ebook to .epub and this process successfully uploaded the ebook to my device.
Each device driver has a list of supported formats. For the KoboTouch driver, the default list does not include MOBI. This is because, while the Kobo devices support MOBI, it is generally better to convert to epub rather than use them. If you want to use a MOBI book on the Kobo device, open the KoboTouch driver configuration and select MOBI in the list of supported books. You might see a prompt about support, but just accept it

And the autoconvert during sending converts books in unsupported formats to the first format in the list of supported formats for the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
You need to install another reader app on Kobo to be able to read mobi files. Recommended: Koreader.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
You need to install another reader app on Kobo to be able to read mobi files. Recommended: Koreader.
Kobo state support for MOBI in their specs. It works. I don't usually use it, but any time I have tried a MOBI, it worked well. Koreader might do a better job, but, it's not needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Incorrect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The support for MOBI in Kobo's firmware is for the original format used by Mobipocket. The changes to the format from when Amazon purchased Mobipocket in 2005 to now can often cause strange looking pages to display. Calibre does a pretty decent job of converting MOBI to epub allowing you to avoid such issues as having every other word underlined.

Quote:
If the driver did not have MOBI ticked off as a supported format, calibre will not send it to your Kobo without conversion.

Brains!! I need brains!! Return of the zombie thread.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-12-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: zombie thread comment added.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
You are NOT going to get a true Mobi file from Amazon currently so far as I know. Purchased books will be AZW3 or a similar Mobi descended file type such as KF8. True Mobi files are available from Baen, Tor, Dreamspinner and Smashwords among other independent ebook sellers and distributors. These display on Kobo's with minimal problems and if you do have a problem you can download the alternative Epub from several such as Smashwords at no additional cost. I typically download both versions as I have some Sony readers that need the Epub version and Epub books take up much less memory. True Mobi files seem to display well on the Kobo readers in my experience.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-21-2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: expand
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote