Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Thumbs up Looking or an ebook based on these features

Hi guys,

I am currently looking for an e-ink reader but I feel a little overwhelmed by the choices.

Crucial features:
  • Not a Kindle (barring an excellent reason)
  • Can use calibre plugins
  • Not a Yotaphone or those gigantic and costly 13'' readers

Optional features, from highest to lowest in terms of importance:
  • A good build, high reliability and a pleasure to actually use
  • flexible in terms of what the user can do with it (basically, I want to avoid the "walled garden" design choice, but if the build is good enough I can overlook that)
  • Can read both mobi and epub files
  • Physical page turn buttons
  • A backlight
  • An orange light feature similar to f.lux
  • A color other than white

That's a lot of unreasonable demands but I'm happy to listen to any suggestion even if they have few of the optional features. Old and obscure devices are fine too. Thanks for reading
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo Aura One or the new H2O Edition 2. It's a frontlight, not a backlight, but you specify eink so any lighting must be a frontlight. Both have temperature adjustment. Neither needs rooting in order to install patches, alternative reader software, etc. Neither, however, has page turn buttons. You can swipe or tap, with configurable tap zones.

I very strongly suggest abandoning reading .mobi files, though. It is trivial to convert them to epub or kepub, which perform far better.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The closest devices for all that are the Kobo Aura ONE an Kobo H2O Edition 2. The only thing they are missing are the buttons (and a backlight, but, as e-ink can't have a backlight, I assumed you meant frontlit).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Kobo Aura One or the new H2O Edition 2. It's a frontlight, not a backlight, but you specify eink so any lighting must be a frontlight. Both have temperature adjustment. Neither needs rooting in order to install patches, alternative reader software, etc. Neither, however, has page turn buttons. You can swipe or tap, with configurable tap zones.

I very strongly suggest abandoning reading .mobi files, though. It is trivial to convert them to epub or kepub, which perform far better.
Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply. Coincidentally I am already interested in those two models but I wanted to broaden my horizons as I understand very little about the industry.

Regarding the frontlight, you are correct, I mixed up the two concepts.

Will take your advice regarding mobi files. By performing better, do you mean the reading experience will be smoother or something along those lines?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The closest devices for all that are the Kobo Aura ONE an Kobo H2O Edition 2. The only thing they are missing are the buttons (and a backlight, but, as e-ink can't have a backlight, I assumed you meant frontlit).
That is indeed the case, I mixed up the two words thanks for the suggestions, these two models look quite promising. I'm not sure which one of them is the best choice.

Is it true the Aura One still has quality control issues?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply. Coincidentally I am already interested in those two models but I wanted to broaden my horizons as I understand very little about the industry.

Regarding the frontlight, you are correct, I mixed up the two concepts.

Will take your advice regarding mobi files. By performing better, do you mean the reading experience will be smoother or something along those lines?
Mobi support on Kobo is dodgy at best - people have issues with line spacing, dictionaries, search and other things (off the top of my head). And there's no need for it, so best move on.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobi is obsolete and and can be converted to ePub with Calibre. The only issue is the code could be a mess as Mobi code is generally a mess. Garbage in/Garbage Out.

If you don't want to go with Kobo, there are also the Onyx Boox eInk readers you could have a look at.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot

I've converted my whole collection to epub today. I didn't think it would be so simple haha

I will take a look at the Boox line but I think I will probably end up buying the Aura One

Once again thank you all for the advice, it saved me a lot of time
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles, Kobos and a phone to read on. I read epub and mobi books. The point of reading is to read and Kindles and mobi books are every bit as enjoyable as Kobos and epubs.

My current book is an epub I'm reading on my Kobo and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as I enjoyed my previous mobi book on my Kindle.

Walled gardens are a myth. Because of the ease of converting with Calibre reading any book on any device is trivial.

The problem with all these prejudices is they eliminate a lot of really good choices from consideration. I'm glad I have both kinds of devices and read books in both formats but if I could only have one it would absolutely be a Kindle, probably my Voyage although I'd be just as happy if it was my Paperwhite. If my only device was my Kobo that would be okay too, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

These kinds of preferences are very personal and individual things and if we're going to make wise choices and find what really fits us best I think that's best accomplished by ignoring prejudice. Compare features and then decide what fits you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If Amazon would give their Kindles the same font, line spacing, and margin control, that Kobo devices have, I'd go back to a Kindle in a heartbeat. When they announced the Oasis, I had high hopes. But I ended up buying a Kobo Glo HD. Nothing about the Oasis enticed me, especially the price.

The easy slide light control on the Kobo is also a great feature.

Adding...I love Calibre, even though I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-19-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Walled gardens are a myth. Because of the ease of converting with Calibre reading any book on any device is trivial.

The problem with all these prejudices is they eliminate a lot of really good choices from consideration. I'm glad I have both kinds of devices and read books in both formats but if I could only have one it would absolutely be a Kindle, probably my Voyage although I'd be just as happy if it was my Paperwhite.
It's not always just about what formats of books can be put on the device. The OP said "flexible in terms of what the user can do with it", which is a lot broader. Kindle is locking down jailbreaks and reducing that flexibility.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 AM   #12
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
These kinds of preferences are very personal and individual things and if we're going to make wise choices and find what really fits us best I think that's best accomplished by ignoring prejudice. Compare features and then decide what fits you.

Barry
Hi Barry,
I do agree wholeheartedly with this principle in general, but surprisingly in this case it's not the actual Kindles I'm prejudiced about, but rather their creator, Amazon. I find the former to be high quality devices but I've grown to dislike the latter's business ethos, to the point where I no longer wish to purchase their products. I don't judge people who do at all, nor am I making a statement of some sort. It's just my personal opinion. To be clear, I'm more than happy to discuss topics like these at length but I feared this might not be the appropriate forum to do so haha

Quote:
Regarding this, my thinking was more along the lines of what meeera mentioned. Although the expression "walled garden" might be a little melodramatic, it seems you can indeed feel a slight difference between a Kindle and an Android model for instance. In practical terms, it's not a big deal, but from an aesthetic perspective I find it to be quite a compelling feature.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
There's also the Tolino Vision 4HD, in case you're interested in a 6inch reader. It's way easier to find in Europe though (Tolino is a German company) and it's similar to the Kindle in that it doesn't have many options for text customization, but I'm not sure how rootable it is.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So unless the Tolino can be rooted, it sounds rather inflexable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The only device that fits all your requirements is an open Android reader like Onyx or Icarus/Boyue. The downside might be shorter battery periods between charges.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote