Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Paperbird
Paperbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle reader
I struggle to make the endnotes in my manuscript clickable with Kindle Create

Dear community,
My manuscript is currently in a simple .doc file, with endnotes after each chapter.
Kindle Create very well sorted out everything, but the endnotes aren't clickable.
I checked here and there and there are some tricks, inserting bookmarks and then hyperlinks at the level of the .doc file, which should be recognized my Kindle Create later.
The problem is I dont have word anymore and I cannot do it with Open Office, it refuses to link text to a bookmark.
Is there some other way to make my endnotes clickable in Kindle Create? How can I generally solve this issue?
Thank you!
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Save As DocX. Create an epub in Calibre. Check it, upload the epub to Amazon KDP.

Open Office and the better later LibreOffice Write allow you to add notes and link them. Only edit as ODT, with styles. Do an extra Save As in docx.

I can suggest a workflow that's reliable if you like. Don't actually use footnotes/endnotes because if you delete the source reference the note is deleted. Also don't use a small superscript as in paper references. Been working here for years.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
My manuscript is currently in a simple .doc file, with endnotes after each chapter.
Do not use DOC. That is an ancient format that's been abandoned for ~15 years.

If you are using Microsoft Word, save all your documents as DOCX instead.

If you are using LibreOffice Writer, save as ODT.

Quote:
The problem is I dont have word anymore and I cannot do it with Open Office, it refuses to link text to a bookmark.
Do not use OpenOffice. That is an ancient program that's been effectively abandoned for ~10 years.

Use LibreOffice instead.

Side Note: I wrote more details in 2019: "MS Word vs Open Office Word".

In the past 10 years, OpenOffice has only had a few dozen bugs fixed.

LibreOffice has had tens of thousands of bugs fixed (with hundreds being fixed per month) + constantly adds in newer/better functionality.

Quote:
I checked here and there and there are some tricks, inserting bookmarks and then hyperlinks at the level of the .doc file, which should be recognized my Kindle Create later.
Do not use these hacks.

Create your footnotes/endnotes using the actual functionality built into the word processor.

In LibreOffice, there is an Insert Endnote button. (Or Insert > Footnote and Endnote > Endnote.)

In Microsoft Word, it's under References > Insert Endnote.

Quote:
Is there some other way to make my endnotes clickable in Kindle Create? How can I generally solve this issue?
Go back to your source document and redo your footnotes/endnotes properly.

Then conversion to ebooks + other formats will be easier and more reliable.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For a start, I would abandon Kindle Create.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote