Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Jochman
Jochman began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML
Onyx Boox C67ML Stuck

Hi,
I've recently bought Onyx Boox C67ML Carta. After using it for awhile the device got into the screen saver and there's no response from the device.

I've tried to use adb command but the computer is not recognizing the device. Also I tried to charge it, the charging led went red and that's it. Do you have any idea?
(Yes, tried the reset button)

Last edited by Jochman; 05-31-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Jochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #2
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Can you try leaving it charging for 24 hours and try to turn it on after that?

This may be a weird battery charge issue.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:30 AM   #3
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
If nothing helps you may try to reflash your software with the latest one from Onyx web site. The procedure when the device does not boot to user interface is as follows:

1. To press the reset button (a hole near the power button) to perform a force shutdown ;
2. Insert a micro SD card with the newest update package (click here );
3. Long press both back button and power button for 5 seconds > release > startup > enter recovery mode;
4. Press back button > select "apply update from external storage" using power button > jump to "choose a package to install";
5. Press back button > select "update.zip" using power button > enter update mode (usually takes 2 to 3 minutes);
6. Once the update is completed, it will return to the recovery mode automatically. Select "reboot system now" using power button > reboot > enter the system successfully.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
fsiefken
fsiefken began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bonan tagon, Bulek or anyone,

The reflash through recovery mode doesn't seem to work on my C67ML. Earlier I updated to the 1.75rc1 firmware with update.zip on microsd from the older stock 1.4 version. It went on updating, saw the robot but it now forever loads the rotating 'starting up' animation. After a reset and power+left press it boots right into the eternal 'starting up'. What is the next best option?
fsiefken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Do you mean you don't get into recovery, or did flashing the firmware lead to a bootloop? If the later, you might try downloading the firmware again, maybe it got corrupted during download. If they offer an md5sum you could check if your downloaded file is identical to the original.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
fsiefken

I don't seem to get into recovery mode. The update.zip file is located on the microsd card. With or without the card the device starts with "BOOX starting up" animation and stays that way (until running out of battery or reset). There is no gui or way to flash the device from the device itself.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
You said you pressed power+left. Does the c67 have a back button? On the T68, you enter recovery by pressing power+back, have you tried that?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...42&postcount=4
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
fsiefken

Hi Franzli, thanks for your feedback. Yes it does have back button on the left side and a forward button on the right side. As most instructions are for the T68 I thought they were more or less the same for the c67. But now I discovered I can only enter recovery mode by pressing and holding the square centered button below "BOOX" when in OFF mode and starting by pressing and holding the power button at the same time (fortunately). It gives a menu I can navigate with the 4 buttons.
I again placed the update.zip (stock C67ML, as I don't have the Carta) from C67ML firmware : 1.7.5_rc1 2016-05-17_14-39_96d1728 (the Carta version gives an error when parsed by the recovery installer as it isn't the correct device).
After a minute or so it says the installation is complete, I then resetted the device but it's still "Starting Up" - for 10 minutes now. I will try older firmware and report back. In the instruction it says it takes a while and to be patient. But you'd think that 200M extraction and install (as I presume it is doing) wouldn't take more then 15 minutes?

Last edited by fsiefken; 06-10-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
fsiefken

There is no older firmware then the 1.7.5rc, the official links expired and those files are unavailable. From the remaining options in the recovery menu I did a factory reset and when that didn't work I deleted the cache, this also didn't result in a system that gets through the "Starting Up" phase.
So it seems the official firmware update from sd card left my device unusable. If only I could restore an older (and compatible) image in some way.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #10
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
Back button in C67 is the one at the bottom center. Side buttons are just prev/next (or left/right). Going back to your issue... are you sure you have a stock C67ML and not Artatech C67ML which has a different firmware posted on Onyx web site?
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
fsiefken

Hi Bulek, I used two update.zip's on the microsd card. First I mistakenly tried the c67ml Carta version, as this didn't work I thought maybe I have the first one. I am not sure if the Artatech version is on this page or site:
http://www.onyx-international.com/in...5-rc1-20160512

I read somewhere in a Russian forum that the long 'Starting Up' period has to do with downloading something, conceivably I thought it interrupted this process to soon (5-10 minutes) so it corrupted the update process and I needed a more complete update file to reset this corruption. Just a theory, to wrap my head around what could be wrong.
Through facebook I found this Asian firmware and thought if might well work - not taken into account the risk that it might take me further from a solution. http://www.hytexts.com/C67_firmware/C67ML/update.zip

My system now doesn't even get back in recovery mode. Perhaps the firmware is not ok even though it was accepted by the firmware loader, or perhaps it's because the wifi time out after a short time or the battery was low on power (it was not plugged in with around 70% battery left) and when I looked at it the next morning it was not responsive anymore. It does respond in some way, but the screen is either in 'no power' mode or in a this time static 'Starting Up' mode.
Both the spinning Starting Up animation and the recovery menu do not appear in whatever sequency I try to get them to appear. Next time I just stick with the OTA update or I just leave it at wat works. "If it ain't broke, why fix (update) it?" I ask myself in hindsight. In my case I wanted the backlight level default on 0.
I keep the forum posted.

Last edited by fsiefken; 06-11-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
djrichard
djrichard began at the beginning.

Device: 8.5 x 11 android e-ink would be ideal
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsiefken View Post
I again placed the update.zip (stock C67ML, as I don't have the Carta) from C67ML firmware : 1.7.5_rc1 2016-05-17_14-39_96d1728 (the Carta version gives an error when parsed by the recovery installer as it isn't the correct device).
After a minute or so it says the installation is complete, I then resetted the device but it's still "Starting Up" - for 10 minutes now.
I'm having the same issue with the same firmware. Have C67ml without Carta (purchased December 2014) which had original firmware (think it was v1.6.5). Tried updating the firmware and I get the same result as fsiefken: a spinning "starting up" screen.

Anybody have a plan B?

Thanks!
djrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
powmonk
powmonk began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox c67ml
Same here

Yep. My C67ML is bricked from the official firmware update too. I foolishly replaced it and had the same thing happen again! No idea what to do. I've even tried installing previous versions of the firmware to no avail.
powmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #14
djrichard
djrichard began at the beginning.

Device: 8.5 x 11 android e-ink would be ideal
Quote:
Originally Posted by powmonk View Post
Yep. My C67ML is bricked from the official firmware update too. I foolishly replaced it and had the same thing happen again! No idea what to do. I've even tried installing previous versions of the firmware to no avail.
Couldn't solve this via email with Onyx, so ended up mailing mine to Onyx. They said it needed to be rooted, which they'll do. But to be honest, I'm not sure how that's in the critical path. In any case, I'll keep this thread posted on how this plays out. I just sent mine back in September, so it's probably arriving there now.

- David
djrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
pall.e
pall.e began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67ml
Any update?

I am having the same problem, I can charge it for 24 hours, then hit the reset button and it comes up and works like a dream. Then after it standbys for the first time I can't get it back up. If anyone has a solution or old versions of the flashware please let us know.

How easy was Onyx in their support? My reader is outside of the 1 year warranty, but I love it so otherwise.
pall.e is offline   Reply With Quote