Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 AM   #16
Feanor
Feanor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
No, that's not working either. I've also tried it with the code in the :real section too, as I ideally want it to create covers for every book regardless, but it doesn't work either way. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.....

Code:
:fake
F:\ebooks\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "!filename!" --exthtype 113 --exthdata "!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!" "!filename!">null 2>&1
F:\ebooks\mobi2mobi.exe --savecover "cover_!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!.png" "!filename!">null 2>&1
echo Gave a fake ASIN number to: !title1!. It's new number is !asin1!!asin3!!temp1!
set /a temp1=!temp1!+1
goto final
Thank you for looking into this for me
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
No, that's not working either. I've also tried it with the code in the :real section too, as I ideally want it to create covers for every book regardless, but it doesn't work either way.
The mobi in question has to have a proper cover (found in the mobi file) to begin with. The script doesn't create a cover, but rather, extracts the cover (if it exists) from the file.

Sometimes in a mobi, there may be a thumbnail image, but no proper cover image. You can try to extract that with:
Code:
mobi2mobi.exe --savethumb "thumbnail.png" "ebook.mobi"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
Feanor

^^^^^^

That may be it - I set all my covers with Calibre, but perhaps I've done something wrong there - thank you for giving me another avenue to try

By the way, I have been trying this on a folder of 400+ books - it sets the ASIN fine every time, whether it finds the book or not, it just doesn't create the cover.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
Feanor

I'm at work at the moment so can't check, but am I right in thinking that:

Code:
F:\ebooks\mobi2mobi.exe --savethumb "cover_!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!.png" "!filename!">null 2>&1
should do the trick?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
that may be it - I set all my covers with Calibre, but perhaps I've done something wrong there - thank you for giving me another avenue to try
The cover that you set for your ebook in calibre is not actually part of the mobi file (nor is any of the updated metadata) until you do a conversion (mobi -> mobi) or a Send to or Export(Save as). Until then, it's a separate file that calibre's database keeps track of.

Perhaps you're just manually browsing calibre's library folder (with a file explorer) and copying your ebooks from there?
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Feanor

No, they've all been converted from epub to mobi, and saved. Thank you though.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, they've all been converted from epub to mobi, and saved. Thank you though.
Then the question becomes: did you set the covers while they were still epubs and THEN convert to mobi? Or did you convert the epubs to mobi and THEN set the covers?

It could make all the difference in the world in this case.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Feanor

savethumb works - savecover does not. I've looked at the files in mobi2mobi, and only the thumb is there - not the cover. I've then looked in Calibre for how to explicitly save as the cover, but I must be a bit dim today as I can't see it. How do I do this?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
Feanor

I'm not really expecting any help with this, but out of the blue, this has started happening:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "asin_search.py", line 6, in <module>
    api = API(AWS_KEY, SECRET_KEY, "us")
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\amazonproduct\api.py", line 305, in __init__
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\amazonproduct\api.py", line 192, in __init__
ImportError: No module named lxml
Gave a fake ASIN number to: 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's new number is B004072669
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas?
That the amazon product api apparently requires the lxml module.
I just installed the api and immediately got the same error message.

"c:\easy_install lxml" should hook you right up.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that lxml was needed. I was thinking it installed itself automatically, but I guess not.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
Feanor

It's working fine now - I'm pulling thumbs instead of covers, but as it's just for the iphone really that's no problem. Also, I've given up on pulling anything for those with a 'Real ASIN', can't seem to get it to work, and I don't know if it would override the remote cover anyway. Thank you for all your help!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Can you paste the part of the script your using in the ":real" section so I can see why the cover isn't saving for the legit ASIN books?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

I think I know what your problem might be...

This is what your putting in the real section right?
Code:
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --savethumb "cover_!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!.png" "!filename!">null 2>&1
It should be this
Code:
C:\Users\m0ngr31\desktop\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --savethumb "cover_!temp2!.png" "!filename!">null 2>&1
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #30
Nokturnal
Nokturnal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Fake ASIN and iPhone 4

Hi guys,
First of all thanks for the work you guys did in automating this task - it seems to work quite well here.

A summary:
- I have been able to add fake ASIN for books that do not exist in Amazon
- I have not tested books that do exist in Amazon
- The books with fake ASIN syncs well between the K3 and my PC
- The books with fake ASIN does not sync furthest page read to my Kindle app on my (non-jailbroken) iPhone 4

I upload to the iPhone using iTunes or via Dropbox.
Any idea why the sync won't work on the iPhone?
Nokturnal is offline   Reply With Quote